Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
SIDS article in Mishpacha

CER

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 11:30 am
Did anyone read the article in Mishpacha Family First about the solution to preventing SIDS? Basically, it says that the flame retardant on the mattresses when combined with sweat, urine etc. causes dangerous fumes which kill the baby. Much research has been done and they say the solution is buying a special mattress cover. I did some research on the internet and it costs about $30.
I was curious if anyone else read the article and has anything to say about it...

Bsimcha

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 12:06 pm
I read it and am planning to buy a new mattress for my baby who will soon be ready for the full size crib, as it's been used for a few kids already, I also plan on buying the cover.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 12:17 pm
I didn't read it, but can you send a link to the mattress cover?

CER

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 12:28 pm
http://www.preventcribdeath.com/

lst

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 6:32 am
anyone have more information about this? is this cover necessary and are the mattresses really dangerous?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 6:41 am
I haven't experimented so I can't say for sure, but I doubt SIDs is caused by flame retardant mattresses. Someone I'm very close to lost her baby from SIDs and her cousin, a Holocaust survivor, told her that she had lost a couple of babies in Europe before the war in this exact way, lo aleinu, (I.e. the baby simply expired for no apparent reason in its bed). I'm sure they didn't have flame retardant mattresses back then.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 05 2008, 8:11 am
(Just a note that infant mortality hasn't really gone down, only SIDS -- with autopsies nowadays, there are other ways of finding out the cause of death, R"L, so some are being labeled differently.)

Motek

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 1:16 pm
I read the article and found it interesting though I don't remember as you write it Confused I remember that it had to do with fungus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics