Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O how much do you spend on shoes a year
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 7:23 am
My toddler is very sensory. I wanted to get him sneakers but he refused to even try them on in store. We went with soft Atlanta moccasins for $110. 1 month later they were not wearable - he made them in to slippers... Sad and they fell off every 2 seconds.

I ordered 3 pairs of sneakers from Zara $30-40 and he agreed to try on one pair because his best friend has similar sneakers. Lol.

For shabbos I got last seasons zebras on sale for $20 because he had them already in the summer and it was comfortable enough for his highness.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 9:25 am
My kids buy their own shoes with their allowance. So it’s up to them to budget (or not). My limit for shoes is about $75 and I don’t buy too many pairs because I already have enough.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My kids buy their own shoes with their allowance. So it’s up to them to budget (or not). My limit for shoes is about $75 and I don’t buy too many pairs because I already have enough.

Fascinating! While I think it’s great in teaching kids budgeting and careful spending I don’t know anyone nowadays who does allowances. How old are they and how much do you give weekly? What are they expected to buy with it? (Clothes, shoes, toys, going out with friends ect...)

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 10:16 am
DD (12)

School year:
$40 (approx) for school shoes
$50 for winter Shabbos shoes
I got her booties last year that still fit and are in excellent condition (Zara) and she also has a hand-me-down pair from her sister (also Zara).

Summer:
natives ($40)
sneakers (Zara) approx $40
Shabbos shoes 12.99 (Zara sale)

I'm waiting to see if she will need boots. It doesn't snow that much in Lakewood every year. Last year the booties were sufficient. If we get a big storm this year, I will have to get her boots.

So I would say roughly $200 a year, a little more, a little less.
I also have a feeling that her feet are not growing much anymore. Which means that some items will repeat seasons (like the booties. Or the natives for next summer.)

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:23 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I’ll bite too.
Brooklyn shoe store
14 yr old girl
$150 for everyday
$175 shabbos
Stylish Shoes are verrry important for her.
12yr old
$150 for everyday
$150 for shabbos
9yr old son
$140 everyday loafers
Shabbos is still good from pesach
6yr old son
$140 loafers for everyday
$74 for shabbos
Highway robbery, indeed.

Both of my daughters wore their shabbos shoes for a full year so small comfort there. Also due to corona and no school we only got cheap sneakers for the summer as opposed to getting new day shoes for pesach.

I wonder if shoes are cheaper in Lakewood. My kids’ shoes from Jewish stores are usually not even $100. Maybe a bit more at most.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:26 pm
I bought my kids shoes yesterday, I went to a regular frum store , but they did have a sale, I spent $220 on four pairs.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:31 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Fascinating! While I think it’s great in teaching kids budgeting and careful spending I don’t know anyone nowadays who does allowances. How old are they and how much do you give weekly? What are they expected to buy with it? (Clothes, shoes, toys, going out with friends ect...)

I give allowance but it's for extras. They can save it. Or use it when they go to the store with friends. If they need something when they go out with friends, I buy that too. I buy them everything they need and they can really save it if they choose.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics