Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Can't wear glasses or contacts and can't see well
1  2  Next

fish

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:24 pm
Looking for tips or ideas as I would like to start seeing the world around me.
I can't wear glasses because it bothers me around the ears when I wear a sheitel. Also I can't wear them with a mask b/c then they fog up. I can't wear contacts either, I have tried different companies and I can never get used to them. So basically I walk around not seeing very well..... Another issue is even if I wear my glasses I can't read/see things close when I wear them! (They are for seeing far) so I always have to take them off. When I tried contacts it was even worse b/c I would be in a store and I couldn't see prices and of course I can't just take out my contacts while standing in the store!
I'm getting kind of depressed about it.... Its going on for a while and I hate seeing fuzzy all the time.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:29 pm
I wear glasses/contacts, and for me it's not an option NOT to wear them. I don't know how high your prescription is, but I would make it a priority to make this work.

Wearing glasses + a wig really shouldn't be an issue, are you sure the glasses are fitted correctly? Maybe you can have the ear tabs removed from the wig?

And it sounds like you need bi-focals. You can get bi-focal glasses and lenses, which means they contain 2 prescriptions, to correct both near and distance vision.

liveandlove.ima

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:31 pm
Lasik

Stars

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:32 pm
I can’t wear contact lenses either but walking around without anything isn’t an option for me. Wear glasses for at least a week or two and report back. You get used to them to the point of not feeling them anymore. You can get glasses with thinner handles if that seems to be the problem.

Good Friend

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:35 pm
I also find it annoying to wear glasses with a wig and nowadays even more so with a mask (and we spend a lot of time outdoors and it's always hot where I live) so I definitely relate. But for me I don't consider going without glasses an option, I mean I need to see. So basically it's uncomfortable but all necessary, so I basically just live with it whenever I'm out and feel the relief when I come home and switch wig for snood and remove mask. It's just life I guess.

clowny

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:47 pm
mocha wrote:
Lasik

Yups. That was my solution too.
Op, I could’ve written your post. Wig and glasses together was the most uncomfortable and annoying thing for me. Contacts bothered me too much... my eyes were too dry. Until I chose lasik. Was the best thing I ever did!!

animeme

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:48 pm
Get progressives or trifocals. You may still need to take them off sometimes, but it helps a lot. Then have the ear tabs on your sheitel trimmed- the sheitel macher should know how, and do this a lot.

Masks are annoying, but for the most part, you need to have a nose wire. Wear it a bit high up and put your glasses just over it.

I get where you are. Before I got my trifocals, I was walking around without them whenever I was in the house.

shanie5

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 2:00 pm
Problem with Lasik when you wear bifocals or progressives is that the surgery can't fix both problems. Some people (like my dad) do one eye for near and one for far.
They do make contacts for those who wear bifocals-I'm told you lose a bit of the clarity, but otherwise they are fine. So this may be an option for op.

Or, wear your regular contacts and get 'cheaters' (reading glasses) for when you need them. Keep a pair in your pocketbook so you can see prices.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 2:39 pm
anti fog spray can help with the fogging issue.
You can pm me if you want the name of the one I used for my son

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 2:50 pm
Do you feel confident with your prescription? I had issues until I went to an eye dr who realized I had an astigmatism in one eye. My glasses now work for that, and I wear regular contacts with weak readers for near stuff (+0.50) that I get on Amazon 4-5 pair for $10-15 dollars total. (because it's hard to work at the computer or read without them, and if I try to, I will end up with a big headache)

I don't actually need bifocals, but I do need the astigmatism correction (or some variant of it).

Alternatively, get a pince-nez...I've really wanted to find a pair in my reading prescription lol. I would be totally for that becoming a trend!

newbie613

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 3:02 pm
clowny wrote:
Yups. That was my solution too.
Op, I could’ve written your post. Wig and glasses together was the most uncomfortable and annoying thing for me. Contacts bothered me too much... my eyes were too dry. Until I chose lasik. Was the best thing I ever did!!

Where did you do it? How long was the process from beginning to end? Was it all out of pocket? It’s my dream to do this!

mamaroo

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 3:16 pm
I don’t know how high your prescription is, but my contacts are for near and far sightedness. You can also get glasses for both and you can get used to the glasses or contacts but you need to give it time the first week or two they are really uncomfortable and maybe at the beginning you can use them just for a couple of hours

nylon

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 3:53 pm
Yes, you need a bifocal/progressive.

I also have astigmatism so wear readers over my contacts for close work (it's the best solution for me, there are others). I am severely nearsighted so not wearing anything isn't an option.

You might want to try different styles of glasses. The chunky plastic in style now has bigger earpieces which are more likely to be awkward with a sheitel. I used to wear Silhouette rimless lenses which had the lightest, most comfortable earpieces I have ever worn and they didn't interfere with head coverings at all.

clowny

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 3:56 pm
newbie613 wrote:
Where did you do it? How long was the process from beginning to end? Was it all out of pocket? It’s my dream to do this!

I did it with Dr. Perrone. Entire process from beginning to end was about 10 minutes. Right after me, dh did it. Yes, all out of pocket $2000.
If it’s your dream, you should definitely save up the money and do it.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 4:01 pm
Lasik surgery is very rarely covered by insurance but asking whether someone else's insurance covers a procedure is meaningless because there are all kinds of insurance - even those with the same company have different forms of coverage and insurance provided by an employer can vary significantly.

Lasik is not (for example) covered by Medicare. However many people have it did at an additional expense when they have cataract surgery.

That said, many people who have Lasik surgery opt to have one eye corrected for near sightedness and one eye for far sightedness. This gives you what is known as mono vision. I was actually for with mono vision as one eye read and the other saw distances. I never knew that until I reached the age when I needed reading glasses.

People who have the surgery and correct for monovision generally take a week or so to adjust but after that your brain just does what it needs to do.

If you need reading glasses, I would suggest just getting lots of cheap glasses and have them everywhere. I had mine checked by my eye doctor and he said mine were fine. I trusted him since he had every incentive to tell me I needed prescription reading glasses so he could make more money.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:29 am
Get a good fitting mask around the nose - it shouldn't fog up.

Also bifocals are for near and far.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 12:23 pm
This year I finally had to switch from regular glasses to trifocal progressives. Let me tell you, the adjustment period was horrible! I felt like I was walking underwater, and tripping all over the pavement.

3 weeks later, I can't imagine ever going back. They are the best thing I've ever done, and I'm glad I stuck with it. I can now read books without putting them up to my nose, and I can read a street sign a block ahead.

I have super dry eyes, so contact lenses are not possible, and my prescription is too high and complicated for lasic.

If you are getting pressure from your sheitel, you may have the wrong size frames. If the temples are too far apart, your sheitel will be too tight on them. You need them to fit right against your head.

Get anti-fogging spray, and play around with different types of masks until you find one that works for you. You have to fiddle around with the nose wire. Some people do better with the disposable masks, and some do better with nicely made cloth masks that are washable.

I bought some custom made cloth masks (3 layers) from an Etsy seller, and they fit like a dream. They are a little harder to breathe through than disposables, but they are way more comfortable, and I like that they are more environmentally friendly.

Where there's a will, there's a way! Nerd

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 1:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
Lasik surgery is very rarely covered by insurance but asking whether someone else's insurance covers a procedure is meaningless because there are all kinds of insurance - even those with the same company have different forms of coverage and insurance provided by an employer can vary significantly.

Lasik is not (for example) covered by Medicare. However many people have it did at an additional expense when they have cataract surgery.

That said, many people who have Lasik surgery opt to have one eye corrected for near sightedness and one eye for far sightedness. This gives you what is known as mono vision. I was actually for with mono vision as one eye read and the other saw distances. I never knew that until I reached the age when I needed reading glasses.

People who have the surgery and correct for monovision generally take a week or so to adjust but after that your brain just does what it needs to do.

If you need reading glasses, I would suggest just getting lots of cheap glasses and have them everywhere. I had mine checked by my eye doctor and he said mine were fine. I trusted him since he had every incentive to tell me I needed prescription reading glasses so he could make more money.

I had cataract surgery and don't need glasses now. I am not in the USA but I had it done with a private dr and my insurance coverered almost the full amount, bar the initial consult. I have monovision. But it took way longer then a week to get used to. Probably a few months till it din't feel weird.

But you actually NEED to have cataract surgery to get it done that way. I would never have chosen to get lasik, I just happened to need it, and its extremely unusual to need it at the age I did.

Shuly

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 1:40 pm
I can't wear lenses because of dry eyes and my glasses are for seeing far so I would take them off to read and was getting headaches when reading a computer.

I finally did vision therapy and it was the best thing! They strengthened my eye muscles and taught me how to wear my glasses for everything, so I don't need to take them off to read.

I did not have to change my prescription but my eyes learned how to focus on close things even with my regular prescription.

For sheitels - I only wear very lightweight glasses and I have the arms adjust to my ears. I do find it annoying with a wig grip, glasses and sheitel so I had the wig grip material sewn into the tops of my sheitels so that is one less thing behind my ears.

For fogging up - it is annoying, but much better with material masks that you can seal tighter under your eyes.

Shoshie

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 2:35 pm
I wear contacts. I doubt that anyone can instantly wear contact lenses. You start by wearing them only a couple hours a day and then gradually increase the hours. Just like you feel a new ring when you initially wear it, you feel your contacts for a week or two. My left lens is for reading close up and my right lens is for distance vision. Your brain figures it out quickly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics