Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Someone helping me at work - do I go to bring her papers?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:42 pm
I do work for private clients - freelance - and hired a post high school girl to help me a few hours a week. Should she be coming to me to pickup the paperwork etc for the week or is it expected for me to go to her? She drives and I think she has her own car, lives a 10 min drive from me. My reasoning is she should come to me to get the stuff and bring it back to me when done, just like to go to a job...

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:43 pm
That should've been part of your agreement when you hired her, one way or the other.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
That should've been part of your agreement when you hired her, one way or the other.

Yup but I forgot
It’s my first time doing this arrangement

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:46 pm
If it wasn't discussed beforehand, you need to discuss it with her now. There are no expectations one way or the other. She can choose not to accept the job if she has to keep picking up the papers from you.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do work for private clients - freelance - and hired a post high school girl to help me a few hours a week. Should she be coming to me to pickup the paperwork etc for the week or is it expected for me to go to her? She drives and I think she has her own car, lives a 10 min drive from me. My reasoning is she should come to me to get the stuff and bring it back to me when done, just like to go to a job...

If this wasn’t discussed in advance you should offer to pay something for the pickup and delivery service!

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:49 pm
It’s 2020 send them to her.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:51 pm
Agree you should have stated that before hiring her.
Since you didn't, you can ask her about driving herself. But she may say no. Then you have decide what to do.
BTW, when I was around that age, I was hired for a regular babysitting job. AFTER I had started it, the woman suddenly sprang it on me she expected some light housecleaning to be done, too. She had never mentioned a word about that to me. She was really unpleasant about it, too, because subconsciously she must have known she was taking advantage. I was too young to stand up for myself at the time, but thinking back now, I should have quit. Especially because she ended up taking advantage in other similar ways.
Be aware, your employee may have more gumption than I did, and decide to quit....

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:57 pm
I work for a small company. When we outsource work we have the responsibility of getting the work to and from our contractors. Either by hand delivery or post

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:03 pm
as someone who has hired freelancers and has DONE freelance work, a 10 minute drive is NO BIG DEAL. I would expect, as a freelancer, go be expected to go get it. As the employer, I would expect my employee to have no issues in driving a whopping 10 minutes to pick it up.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:07 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
as someone who has hired freelancers and has DONE freelance work, a 10 minute drive is NO BIG DEAL. I would expect, as a freelancer, go be expected to go get it. As the employer, I would expect my employee to have no issues in driving a whopping 10 minutes to pick it up.

True, but there is still a difference btwn an adult employee and a teen ager. I would assume the teen is getting paid less and that's why op specifically hired her. So, you get what you pay for. Kind of like hiring a teen babysitter vs an adult. You wouldn't expect the teen to necessarily provide their own transportation to your home. But you also wouldn't be paying the same rate as to the adult.
In any case, as with any job, if that was an expectation it should have been stated at the time the job was offered, as a condition of hiring.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:14 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:

Why would that be? If someone hires me and doesnt mention anything about picking up things then I would not think it's part of the job.

What you need to do now op is discuss it with her. Tell her you made a mistake and forgot to tell her about this part. And then she has the opportunity to say ok that's still worth it for me, or nah too much of a hassle, this job isn't for me.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:22 pm
It would have been your responsibility to clarify this beforehand, not hers, so if it were me I would offer to pay extra if she is willing to pick it up and not assume it is expected and included in the original deal.
As both a freelancer and someone who hires others to help me occasionally - I think if you both agree that she pick up the work, either pay her a specific amount for the delivery or at least pay her for her travel time and gas or travel expenses (20 minutes of being paid is less likely to cause resentment than if assumed and unpaid). Most work today would be sent digitally anyway.
Personally, I specify travel time and expenses in my contract and when I hire others, if not specified otherwise I do pay for travel time.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:25 pm
As the mother of girls that age, I wouldn’t expect that she has access to a car whenever she wants. You should ask her if it’s possible for her to do the driving, but be aware she may be embarrassed to admit it’s not easy for her and will probably say it’s fine even if it’s not. I also think you should compensate her for drive time and gas. A work-from-home job doesn’t come with the expectation that you’ll be driving as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics