Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
If you watch secular movies and shows do you refrain from wa
Previous  1  2  3

If you watch secular movies and shows do you refrain from watching R rated material?
Yes  
 48%  [ 87 ]
No  
 51%  [ 91 ]
Total Votes : 178

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 10:32 am
For me it depends on why it is rated R. I would have no problem watching a movie myself at home on a small device with headphones (how I watch everything anyway) and fast forwarding the parts that make it R rated (which usually add nothing to the movie anyway).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 10:33 am
I really think your poll needs to be more specific.
I would never watch rated R for nudity and s-xual content.
I definitely watch many high speed action/suspense movies that are just R for violence and maybe some language.
I dont consider the 2 to be the same at all.

finprof

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 10:51 am
LOL, I'm a married woman with kids, s*x doesn't shock me! As for violence and language I'm and Army brat so again its nothing new. Just because I don't do things doesn't mean that I need to hide my head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 11:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not really all that diverse Smile
Mostly charedi women here, so not really diverse.
But thats ok.

It's funny, because I get the impression that imamother is not diverse in the other direction, meaning there are less very yeshivish/frum on here. Most of my friends are not on here. Not to derail the thread or anything... Smile

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 11:09 am
finprof wrote:
LOL, I'm a married woman with kids, s*x doesn't shock me! As for violence and language I'm and Army brat so again its nothing new. Just because I don't do things doesn't mean that I need to hide my head in the sand and pretend they don't exist.

Exactly. S-x scenes are just the idea of s-X. It’s not p0rn. It’s not really happening. Genetalia isn’t shown. It’s kissing and maybe a flash of b00b. So as a married adult woman I don’t feel the need to avoid movies with such scenes. But I understand that people feel differently and that’s ok.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
It's funny, because I get the impression that imamother is not diverse in the other direction, meaning there are less very yeshivish/frum on here. Most of my friends are not on here. Not to derail the thread or anything... Smile

There are a lot of chassidish ladies.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 12:06 pm
My husband and I watch content of all types, including R rated. We became frum later in life and this is just something that we haven't changed, at least not yet. But I recognize that watching a show like Game of Thrones, with s_xual scenes and partial nudity, is not a good thing to do. I am pretty sure our MO rabbi would tell us it was assur if we asked him.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 20 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
There are a lot of chassidish ladies.

I still need to figure out why chassidish is being automatically classified as frum. I know many chassidish people who fit comfortably into the MO world, their only chassidish thing is husband’s shtreimel.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:02 pm
So looks like we're split pretty evenly. Must be some dead people voting on the other side LOL
Thanks everybody for responding

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Yes I do. So does my husband. It wouldn’t occur to either of us not to. R rated means you have to be older than 17 which we both are.

It also means it contains material the Torah forbids one to lookat

rikkik

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:29 pm
I would watch R rated if it was for nudity- I just skip those parts. Violence, on the other hand, I wouldn't even attempt to watch the movie

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
It also means it contains material the Torah forbids one to lookat

Not necessarily. Could be for language or scenes depicting drug usage.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Yes I do. So does my husband. It wouldn’t occur to either of us not to. R rated means you have to be older than 17 which we both are.

Right, we're all over 17.

I have a feeling the op was asking from a hashkafa standpoint whether we watch R rated movies. Not whether we are of legal age.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:54 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

Bad language is also not allowed, once you're concerned about halacha/hashkafa.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Bad language is also not allowed, once you're concerned about halacha/hashkafa.

Never heard of halacha you aren't allowed to hear. If so, that's something impossible to follow. Sorry but that's the reality. Even on this site I see casual usage.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:59 pm
I personally have a problem with tons of cursing. That would be an issue for me. More then violence or zex

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

No usually the zex and bad language come together and yes they’re ossur

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
No usually the zex and bad language come together and yes they’re ossur

No, not necessarily. I guess you don't watch many movies. For example, war movies. Like, have you ever watched Dunkirk or 1917? Not a hint of s*x in either movie. But plenty of bad language, because lets face it, that is needed for an accurate depiction of what it was like fighting in the trenches of war.

BTW, (and this dates me) when I was in high school and Schindler's List had just come out, the topic came up in my BY halacha class if it was permissible to go see, as there were s*x scenes and nudity. The teacher asked her husband, who is a fairly well known and accepted RW posek, and to give her credit, while she was clearly uncomfortable delivering his psak to us, she did: he said that while it would not be allowed halachically for a man to watch those sorts of scenes it is allowed for a woman. She clearly had her haskafic issues with it, but that is separate from halacha.

IsraeliSoul

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 9:51 pm
R rated doesn’t automatically mean inappropriate content.

So if you refer to inappropriate stuff from a Jewish perspective, yes unfortunately I do watch a lot of stuff I don’t think it’s good for my spirituality, but coming from a background where everything besides p0rn is good, I don’t keep myself back.

Although I do believe as an at least “trying to be” frum mom and wife it’s better not to watch something I wouldn’t consider right.

But this is just my own feeling. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong.

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:27 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Right, we're all over 17.

I have a feeling the op was asking from a hashkafa standpoint whether we watch R rated movies. Not whether we are of legal age.

Yes but that’s my point. In my hashkafa it’s not inappropriate for an Religious adult to watch rates R movies

OP: did I miss you answering what community you are from?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics