Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
What cookbook would you buy?
1  2  3  Next

What cookbook would you buy?
Peas love and carrots  
 13%  [ 20 ]
Between carpools  
 56%  [ 84 ]
Raizycooking lekovid shabbes  
 8%  [ 13 ]
Balabuste choice 3  
 18%  [ 28 ]
A new cookbook by Vera Newman  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 149

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 6:57 pm
So Chanuka is around the corner and I would like to treat myself to one. Please explain why or why not.
(I know PLC and BCP is out already for a few weeks but for me they're quite new.)

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:07 pm
Op, I honestly think your decision should be made based on the types of food you like. Lekovid Shabbos and balabustes choice are probably more Hungarian type foods. The other ones, while they may be great cookbooks, probably have ingredients that some people never heard of.... if you follow their IG accounts you’ll know what I mean. So depends if you go for the more fancy, newer kinds of foods or the so called “simple, heimish”. It’s like I got a cookbook as a gift a couple of years ago and didn’t make a single recipe from there because there’s all kinds of spices and stuff I never heard of.. and I b”H do cook great tasting food. So once you decide if you go for those spices or not... you can make your decision

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:13 pm
Yes but I want to hear honest reviews on them not the ones that people put on Instagram these are all "paid" reviews.
I sadly was deceived once there was such a hype over a book and I bought the book and was so so disappointed I want to avoid it this time.

amother
Honeydew

There's a Balebuste's Choice 3? If there is and it's similar to no 2, I would highly recommend. I didn't know there was a new one out.

amother
Emerald

amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Op, I honestly think your decision should be made based on the types of food you like. Lekovid Shabbos and balabustes choice are probably more Hungarian type foods. The other ones, while they may be great cookbooks, probably have ingredients that some people never heard of.... if you follow their IG accounts you’ll know what I mean. So depends if you go for the more fancy, newer kinds of foods or the so called “simple, heimish”. It’s like I got a cookbook as a gift a couple of years ago and didn’t make a single recipe from there because there’s all kinds of spices and stuff I never heard of.. and I b”H do cook great tasting food. So once you decide if you go for those spices or not... you can make your decision

Between Carpools is not the I never heard of these ingredients type of cookbook.
I have it they just came out with it this week. They are all super easy recipes with very typical ingredients you usually have in the house anyway
Love their recipes!! Ive never been so excited for a cookbook before!!

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:18 pm
Also, op, maybe wait until next week, because most people probably don’t have lekovid Shabbos or balabustes choice 3 yet. Lekovid Shabbos, was released in Thursday and not sure balabustes is in stores yet

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:18 pm
Amother Papaya is right. I got peas love and carrots as a gift and think it's a great coffeee table book but wont make any recipes (there was actually a post on it a few weeks ago with honest reviews). Between carpools seems like it uses shortcuts and ready made ingredients but it'snot out yet so can't s ayrie sure. I personally love Balebusta Choice and Heimesh Kitchen and style cookbooks that use simple ingredients for great tasting food. My "fancy" cookbooks are Miriam Pascals and BY cookbooks that have a balance of simple and more exotic recipes.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:25 pm
I'm actually really excited that you mention there's a Balebusta's choice 3 coming out, I love number 2 - filled with a variety of tried and true recipes for all occasions, all regular ingredients. Everyone I know, loves this cookbook and uses it again and again. Rather than most others where you find one or two recipes you like and that's it.

I hardly ever buy cookbooks, but this is one I will make sure to get my hands on.

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:29 pm
For me, I'd rather go for a cookbook like Peas, Love and Carrots then those that use shortcuts. I'm quite ok with cooking without a recipe. and make my own shortcuts. I need cookbooks to get ideas, and make some unique food. If you want simple recipes. I'd go with balabustas choice. If you want something in between, I'd try Rivky Kleiman's. or one of Miriam Pascals.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:37 pm
Peas love and carrots is more Moroccan / israeli style. The recipes seem pretty easy but using a lot of spice or ingredients I never heard of

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:39 pm
There are very few recipes that I would make from peas love and carrots. She used ingredients that we don’t like or use.
Between carpools seems like a easy supper and Raizy’s cookin is mainly Heimish recipes.
It really depends what you like but I would go with ballista choice or Raizy’s cookin.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:55 pm
A lot of PLC is not Morroccan. I've made ranch dip, caesar dressing, shnitsel, vegetable soup, sweet potato soup, beer battered nuggets, roasted cauliflower, onion maple chicken, penne a la vodka, Mac and cheese, etc just off the top of my head without looking at it
But there is definitely a lot that wouldn't work for my family. It's a huge cookbook, though, so there's some that does work.

I also just got BCP. Very easy to make recipes, some I wouldn't call recipes, and way too many breaded chicken recipes (how many do I really need?) But chocolate chip sticks in a 9x13 with a gloved hand can't be beat. Made maple oj chicken (but wouldn't really need a recipe, just the idea to mix the 2)
Only got it because I have way too many days when I walk in with my kids and I needed fast and easy options.

cnc

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 7:58 pm
BCP

esther36

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:09 pm
I never buy cookbooks but just treated myself to the between carpools one. I got it tonight. Ill let you know after I skim it if I think it's worthwhile. I only have the old nitra cookbook and the by cookbook that I actually use....

Good Friend

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:24 pm
Spice and Spirit is very useful, has a large quantity of recipes written short sweet and to the point, and many useful instructions like how to shape kreplach and reminders about halacha, like for example how much flour needed in the dough for hafrashas challa.

mha3484

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:30 pm
My family is is pretty adventurous so we are really enjoying PLC. I tend to shy away from cookbooks that use a lot of bottle sauces like bbq, duck sauce which I find is in a lot of kosher cookbooks. I think my next purchase is actually the second real life kosher by Miriam pascal I never got around to buying it when it came out last year.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 9:08 pm
The women behind BCP have created a space where moms like me think, these ladies get me! Their recipes are down to earth, practical and best of all on-trend and delicious! Raizys Cookin sounds really nice but wouldn't be for me because I'm not Hungarian and don't relate to that style cooking or tablescaping.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 9:15 pm
I LOVE peas love and carrots. Made so many things. It has more of a middle eastern flavor.

Just got between carpools and I really like it. Easy ingredients and lots of dinners I’d make.

I’m still waiting for raizyscookin cookbook but from what I understand it’s very heimish.

(Yes, I’m a cookbook junkie.)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:55 pm
Between carpools! Arrived today. I just went though it and think I would make about 90% of the recipes included. I’m really excited to try it out!
I love balabusta choice previous ones so that would be tempting if I was walking into a store and choosing. Especially since I did recognize quite a few recipes from BCP from their website. Since I bought BCP on sale on amazon it wasn’t really an option for me...
I skimmed through Raizy’s cooking one. It was very traditional in my opinion. I already have my standard shabbos recipes wasn’t looking for new ones.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:29 am
I haven't seen balabustes choice 3 anywhere, not even to pre-order. How do you know its coming out?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics