Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best careers for frum women
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:23 pm
What are some careers that pay well and allow for a frum lifestyle? Living a frum lifestyle is expensive. As the kids gets older and the family grows, our expenses keep growing. I have the opportunity now to go back to school and want to find out what is going to pay well. I see so many careers that pay $50-60k but if I go to school I want to make more then what I currently make.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:27 pm
Nurses make more. In tri-state area you make around six figures. Flexible hours, you can work nights.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:55 pm
Finance, accounting, computer programming, actuary

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:26 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Nurses make more. In tri-state area you make around six figures. Flexible hours, you can work nights.

You should be working at something you enjoy as well. Yes, nursing may sound good for a frum woman, but if you hate it, there's no point. I wouldn't last a day working in a hospital.

OP, what do you enjoy? What are your strengths?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:50 am
There is a Stenographer in Crown Heights(never met her)who is always writing how being a Stenographer is a good frum women job,maybe look into that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:03 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
There is a Stenographer in Crown Heights(never met her)who is always writing how being a Stenographer is a good frum women job,maybe look into that.

That’s funny because I know someone who worked as a court stenographer for 20 years and found that it often conflicted with the values of a frum woman. (Including having to be in court on time after getting all her children off to school)

After many years of being successful as a stenographer she opened up a preschool in her basement.

Which gets me thinking... in a community with so many frum families child care will always be something necessary. Also, with so many frum women, a good shaitel stylist is something that will be very popular since everyone needs a nice shaitel to wear.
Not that I can do either one of these things well but I do think they are important.

jkw

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:15 am
Not just nursing in a hospital. There are many careers that are highly paid in health care!
X ray technicians such as sonagrapher or mammographer. Pharmacist. Medical records. Etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:41 am
I think regardless of what you do, in most fields you earn more by becoming a top manager of that or starting your own business. Whether it is child care, sheitels, usw.
I would get an MBA or something similar.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:50 am
You need to do what you like and work out the hours after. I’m begging you.
I took a career that’s the “best for a frum woman”, and guess what? I make $0.00 because I hate it so much that I gave up working altogether.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:05 am
I agree with the do what you like. I work in finance. I couldn’t work for the board of Ed. I just know myself. For many years I was in the minority. However with the shift to remote working I am predicting that many many Jewish women will go into finance, accounting, computer programming and especially data science ... and also other careers that lend themselves to remote work (writing, technical writing, law, Human Resources/benefits coordination, medical billing etc).

Plus there are some downsides to working for the NY board of Ed. Even though in my age bracket (40s) almost all my friends do it. Here are the downsides:

1) you have to stay in NY - can’t move
2) your salary is limited by your union contract - it’s not flexible to go up based on market forces
3) the environment where you work can be chaotic or stressful or depressing
4) in normal times you are expected to be in school and not working remotely
5) there are incompetent people at the helm

OneSource

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:21 am
I went into a family friendly area of law that enables me to work from 8-2, go get my kids, do baths, dinner and homework, then log back in and answer emails for another hour or two. I make, bh, a very good paycheck. Between my husband (he makes far less but still nets out around 60k) and I, we are able to put away 5k a month into savings, have no debt, buy whatever we want and have a vacation house too (no mortgage.) We pride quality of life over money so I've turned down jobs in my field that want more time out of me, for even more money. We don't need more. Bh, were good where we are. I can be there for my kids and I don't work as hard as my friends / peers.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:22 pm
OneSource wrote:
I went into a family friendly area of law that enables me to work from 8-2, go get my kids, do baths, dinner and homework, then log back in and answer emails for another hour or two. I make, bh, a very good paycheck. Between my husband (he makes far less but still nets out around 60k) and I, we are able to put away 5k a month into savings, have no debt, buy whatever we want and have a vacation house too (no mortgage.) We pride quality of life over money so I've turned down jobs in my field that want more time out of me, for even more money. We don't need more. Bh, were good where we are. I can be there for my kids and I don't work as hard as my friends / peers.
Which area of law do you work in?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:37 pm
jkw wrote:
Not just nursing in a hospital. There are many careers that are highly paid in health care!
X ray technicians such as sonagrapher or mammographer. Pharmacist. Medical records. Etc.

X-ray techs, sonographers, and mammo techs don’t make a lot. Neither does medical records. Pharmacists can make a nice salary but it’s hard and long schooling to get there.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

I wouldn't say flexible hours. There are a variety of shifts you can apply for, but once assigned a shift, it typically has no flexibility.
I work in dialysis and my Nurses are either ~6-2 or 2-11 (they are slightly staggered from 5:15) If you work evenings, do not think you can leave early one night to go to the Mikvah or if you work morning, don't think you can come in late one day because you had something to do or something came up with your kids. You may have the ability to pick the shift (you don't always if you lack seniority) but once you are working that shift, you have responsibilities and cannot leave early/come late or make up the time. Working in a hospital or nursing home is the same.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I agree with the do what you like. I work in finance. I couldn’t work for the board of Ed. I just know myself. For many years I was in the minority. However with the shift to remote working I am predicting that many many Jewish women will go into finance, accounting, computer programming and especially data science ... and also other careers that lend themselves to remote work (writing, technical writing, law, Human Resources/benefits coordination, medical billing etc).

Plus there are some downsides to working for the NY board of Ed. Even though in my age bracket (40s) almost all my friends do it. Here are the downsides:

1) you have to stay in NY - can’t move
2) your salary is limited by your union contract - it’s not flexible to go up based on market forces
3) the environment where you work can be chaotic or stressful or depressing
4) in normal times you are expected to be in school and not working remotely
5) there are incompetent people at the helm

I work for the DOE. As far as I'm concerned the only minus is the rigid schedule. Other than that you get full health insurance, full pension, no after school work, summers off as well as 3 weeks off each year for vacation and all legal holidays. 8 years in, I'm making over 100,000.00$

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:30 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I work for the DOE. As far as I'm concerned the only minus is the rigid schedule. Other than that you get full health insurance, full pension, no after school work, summers off as well as 3 weeks off each year for vacation and all legal holidays. 8 years in, I'm making over 100,000.00$

You’re a teacher there?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:31 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

The rigid schedule is a HUGE minus.

No after school work? You must not be a teacher.

And no money in the world can compensate me for the headache of working for the DOE. I'm getting out.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:48 am
If you're not a teacher the doe its great if you're a teacher its all consuming. I left and I do miss it sometimes but it was not sustainable for me.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:25 am
DH is a computer programmer and his job is more flexible than my teaching job. I think it's probably a good career--don't need advanced degrees to do pretty well. You do have to be motivated and competent, of course, and it's a pretty male dominated, so you have to be prepared to deal with that.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
The rigid schedule is a HUGE minus.

No after school work? You must not be a teacher.

And no money in the world can compensate me for the headache of working for the DOE. I'm getting out.

Nope. Therapist. Bh it's great. You are right though, teachers have a much harder job. Should have mentioned that
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics