Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I need a book in lieu of Anger Management Class

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 1:53 am
I probably should take an anger management class, but they're probably all cancelled because of Corona (Zoom doesn't appeal to me), and with so many little kids, I'm better off reading a book at home than trying to find a babysitter.

My problem is that I get too mad too quickly at my children for just doing normal kid stuff, and then I yell. I apologise afterward, but I want to prevent. Mostly it's stuff I shouldn't even get angry about at all (kids making messes because they're kids, etc).

Any book recommendations?

Here's an example: yesterday it was rainy and I let my 3 year old get in her rain gear (short rain boots, rain coat, umbrella) and play outside. She asked me if she could jump in puddles and I said yes, but only gently because if she does it too hard the water will get in her boots because they're short (I realize now that that is way way too complicated for a 3 year old). Anyway, she got her boots and socks and pants soaked with muddy water, and I didn't tell at her, but I talked to her in a really blamey way (something like "oh, honey! I told you to only jump a little not a lot and now look at that mess you made! You got your boots and socks and pants all yucky!"). And afterwards I thought to myself that it was totally not her fault and I was wrong for all the guilt I laid on her.

Any advice? I'm not exactly sure what my problem is even called, but I think it's related to anger because it's a heat-of-the-moment thing that I later regret, not a lack of understanding problem.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 2:16 am
I really like Pliskin's book, Anger the Inner Teacher.

But really any parenting book will address this. Mostly it's related to "shoulds" and expectations.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:53 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I really like Pliskin's book, Anger the Inner Teacher.

But really any parenting book will address this. Mostly it's related to "shoulds" and expectations.

This sounds perfect, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics