Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this a basic of bookkeeping? Should I make employee redo?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:17 am
I hired someone to do Quickbooks work for me, and she assured me she has worked with QuickBooks and know it well. I was in a huge time crunch and (mistakenly) hired her without enough research. She did a year of data entry and didn’t put one check number in, just the check with out a number!! Isn’t that a basic, to put in a check number? Do I make her redo it on her own time? I hired her per diem/freelance. I started redoing it and takes at least 30 min a month, time which I don’t have now. I don’t think I Should be paying her to redo it. I paid her the going rate of someone with experience Sad it was a big expense! And I was hoping it would be done properly 😬

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:24 am
Ugh I just wrote a long reply and imamother refreshed itself in the middle.

Basically, if you trained her to do it and she didn’t, you don’t owe her but be prepared to have a disgruntled employee on your hands. If you didn’t specify your needs, it’s on you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:28 am
Stars wrote:
Ugh I just wrote a long reply and imamother refreshed itself in the middle.

Basically, if you trained her to do it and she didn’t, you don’t owe her but be prepared to have a disgruntled employee on your hands. If you didn’t specify your needs, it’s on you.

She told me I didn’t tell her to put in check numbers
But that’s like telling a plumber to shut the water before he changes pipes
It’s a real basic, not like something extra you’re supposed to do

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She told me I didn’t tell her to put in check numbers
But that’s like telling a plumber to shut the water before he changes pipes
It’s a real basic, not like something extra you’re supposed to do

That’s not true. A lot of employers don’t need that information for whatever reason.

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:31 am
No you can not make her do it on her own time. Admittedly, you hired her in a rush and made assumptions… Did you train her in? Did you look into the matter on QuickBooks see see if check numbers are considered a basic QuickBooks thing? It could be that at her last job check numbers were not needed… sometimes employees need to go back and redo some thing. I know I do at my job from time to time. That’s part of having an employee and no, you cannot make her do it on her own time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:31 am
Stars wrote:
That’s not true. A lot of employers don’t need that information for whatever reason.

Ok good to know, I’m an accountant for close to 10 years and never heard or seen anyone’s books that didn’t need check numbers

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:32 am
That’s pretty basic if you ask me.

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:35 am
One last thing. If you tell her to do it on her own time, be prepared for her to decline the job considering she is working Per-diem. You’ll have to pay somebody else to do it for you anyway or do it yourself. You might as well let her do it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:37 am
cnc wrote:
That’s pretty basic if you ask me.

Thanks, I agree 100 percent!!

groovy1224

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:38 am
That's ridiculous. You shouldn't have to specify that you want check numbers. She was being lazy and she knows it.

adyrose

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:39 am
I don’t think OP thought she had to train her on something this basic. It’s standard to put in check numbers or if it’s a wire or however the transaction took place for accurate record keeping in case of a discrepancy. Also for bank reconciliations. It happens every now and again that we will apply a check one way and our vendor or customer applied it another way. We communicate in that instance but without check numbers it’s so much harder to track. I would ask her to please enter them. If she doesn’t want to then look for someone else to assist you in bookkeeping that will do the job correctly. We live and we learn.

I have been working as a bookkeeper for over ten years as well as took a Quickbooks certification course. If anyone needs a bookkeeper, feel free to pm me.

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:45 am
adyrose wrote:
I don’t think OP thought she had to train her on something this basic. It’s standard to put in check numbers or if it’s a wire or however the transaction took place for accurate record keeping in case of a discrepancy. Also for bank reconciliations. It happens every now and again that we will apply a check one way and our vendor or customer applied it another way. We communicate in that instance but without check numbers it’s so much harder to track. I would ask her to please enter them. If she doesn’t want to then look for someone else to assist you in bookkeeping that will do the job correctly. We live and we learn.

I have been working as a bookkeeper for over ten years as well as took a Quickbooks certification course. If anyone needs a bookkeeper, feel free to pm me.

If OP did not check the employee’s references and give her a test task in an interview, thats on her and not on the employee.

adyrose

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:54 am
watergirl wrote:
If OP did not check the employee’s references and give her a test task in an interview, thats on her and not on the employee.

I still don’t think there is anything wrong with asking in a polite way. If she refuses or wants more money then just drop it and don’t hire her for future work. It’s just frustrating for OP because this is so basic and this freelancer shouldn’t go around marketing herself as a bookkeeper. On the employer side, like I said before “you live and you learn” I’m sure next time she will be more thorough in who she hires.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:58 am
Writing check numbers is something very basic in bookkeeping it doesn't need to be specified.

SYA

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:59 am
If a check was never deposited and would need to be cancelled/stopped, the bank requires the check number.

It can also be needed as proof of payment.
Ex if getting a few checks as part of a payment plan, you need to keep track which payments arrived.

Putting in check numbers is the standard.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:03 am
It goes without saying. She should fix it for free.

- CPA with 20 years of experience

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:25 am
It depends how much she charged. You can know by the amount you pay if it is a proffessional.

50 or 60 an hour and it is expected.

If she asked for 40 (which maybe a lot for you) it doesn't mean she is a proffesional.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:25 am
Yes it’s a basic. She needs to fix her work.

Leahh

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:28 am
It is usually pretty basic but employees make mistakes. Things happen. If I were you, I would swallow it and just tell her to fix it.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:04 am
In my unprofessional opinion, having been doing freelance bookkeeping for several years, it's basic.

Personally, anytime I mess something up, I redo on my own time or maximum half the hourly rate. I don't do per diem.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics