Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this a basic of bookkeeping? Should I make employee redo?
Previous  1  2

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:26 am
It is considered basic. That said, ask her to redo it (with payment...how long does it take her to redo a check anyway) and then tell her for the future that this shouldn’t be happening

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:38 am
When I was in college I entered checks for a tzedakah organization. I put in the donor name and address and the check amount. Not the check number.

So I don’t know how basic it is.

Also there is such a thing as good will. I’m sur you aren’t paying very much. If you are tough with this worker then she will either leave or start cheating you. It’s like cleaning ladies. You can be stingy, and then they will steal (things or time), and you can be tough, and then they will leave.

Plus there is such a thing as human mentschlichkeit. What if it was your daughter who was the worker?

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
When I was in college I entered checks for a tzedakah organization. I put in the donor name and address and the check amount. Not the check number.

So I don’t know how basic it is.

Also there is such a thing as good will. I’m sur you aren’t paying very much. If you are tough with this worker then she will either leave or start cheating you. It’s like cleaning ladies. You can be stingy, and then they will steal (things or time), and you can be tough, and then they will leave.

Plus there is such a thing as human mentschlichkeit. What if it was your daughter who was the worker?

I can see why it may not be that necessary for a tzedakah organization. However , for a business it’s very basic. You need to be able to search for payments by check number .

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:45 am
cnc wrote:
I can see why it may not be that necessary for a tzedakah organization. However , for a business it’s very basic. You need to be able to search for payments by check number .

Sounds like shes talking about deposits, not payments. Which not everyone needs check numbers for.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:59 am
Do you have an on-going relationship with her or did you hire her for a specific task which is now over?

Have you spoken to her and told her that you have issues with her work product? She may or may not decide to fix the issue but you can't demand that she do it.

It appears that it would take six hours total for YOU to fix the issue - e.g. 12 months at 30 minutes per month.

My experience is that for mindless stuff like this, I can do it for a few minutes at a time and then the job is done unless there is some kind of time crunch to have all the check numbers at once.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:37 pm
Ok, let’s clarify. I paid her the going rate for someone with experience. Not reconciling books, leaving out check names and number, putting things as deposits as a check instead - these are all wrong
I paid her over $100 more versus a non experience girl, in total...
I spent so far 8 hours fixing her work!!

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, let’s clarify. I paid her the going rate for someone with experience. Not reconciling books, leaving out check names and number, putting things as deposits as a check instead - these are all wrong

I understand and am sympathetic.

You hired someone and paid them in the expectation that they would perform the job in an acceptable way. They didn’t. It happens and under the circumstances there probably isn’t anything you can do about it.

It is unlikely that she is going to come back and work for free but maybe she will because there is some kind of misunderstanding. But most likely she wasn’t that competent.

So you are venting which is fine. Next time you will be more careful. In the scheme of things, it’s not the worst as she didn’t cause you horrible accounting problems which cost you money or issues with tax authorities or payroll.

I think everyone has hired someone incompetent in their lives or bought something that was inferior.

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:13 pm
Yes, she should correct what is obviously substandard work. But good luck getting her to do so. She has obviously already rationalized her shoddy work. Besides, do you really want this woman messing around in your books?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:22 pm
Probably best to cut your losses and find someone more competent to make the corrections. If she is that bad at her job, you don't want to risk anything getting messed up further.
You will know what to look for next time you are hiring for the job.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Under those circumstances, I wouldn't ask her to fix the work, as she seems incompetent.

If she were otherwise competent, I would tell her that you will pay her about quarter to half to fix the work, recognizing that it was basic, but not clearly set forth. And if she does the work well, you will continue to offer her work.

But why would you want her anywhere near your things again?

boat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:46 pm
Do you know her previous employer? You can ask if they keep a record of check numbers.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hired someone to do Quickbooks work for me, and she assured me she has worked with QuickBooks and know it well. I was in a huge time crunch and (mistakenly) hired her without enough research. She did a year of data entry and didn’t put one check number in, just the check with out a number!! Isn’t that a basic, to put in a check number? Do I make her redo it on her own time? I hired her per diem/freelance. I started redoing it and takes at least 30 min a month, time which I don’t have now. I don’t think I Should be paying her to redo it. I paid her the going rate of someone with experience Sad it was a big expense! And I was hoping it would be done properly 😬

Doesn't the check number download automatically? Most banks have downloads that you can convert to Quickbooks easily.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics