Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
What cookbook would you buy?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

What cookbook would you buy?
Peas love and carrots  
 13%  [ 20 ]
Between carpools  
 56%  [ 84 ]
Raizycooking lekovid shabbes  
 8%  [ 13 ]
Balabuste choice 3  
 18%  [ 28 ]
A new cookbook by Vera Newman  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 149

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I haven't seen balabustes choice 3 anywhere, not even to pre-order. How do you know its coming out?

They wrote about it in the papers ...

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 11:59 pm
I got PLC as a gift, and the recipes I've made so far have been good. (Though none of the desserts look tempting.)

Does anyone else find it odd that the recipes don't tell you now many they serve? I'm an experienced cook, so I can guess, but I thought that was strange. Also, there's a tone to the book that she must have thought was cutesy but falls flat with me. I'm buying a cookbook, not a life style.

jkw

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:11 am
The cookbook I continue to reach for is NORENE'S HEALTHY KITCHEN by the late and much missed Norene Gilletz. Has many variations for each recipe and a special Passover section. She was Canadian so uses North American ingredients. My favourite!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 12:13 am
jkw wrote:
The cookbook I continue to reach for is NORENE'S HEALTHY KITCHEN by the late and much missed Norene Gilletz. Has many variations for each recipe and a special Passover section. She was Canadian so uses North American ingredients. My favourite!

Agreed, she was wonderful! I remember her microwave cookbook, from when microwaves were a novelty.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:48 am
I think BCP is safe from what I've heard. I've heard really good stuff about Vera Newman's book, that it has a lot of real, though some of them different, recipes. Excited to see them both.
I know you didn't put this in the poll but I like Eiizabeth Kurtz's Celebrate.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:05 am
I like PLC because of all the food bloggers, she the one that I know her recipes always taste good and work out. I've made so many recipes from her cookbook already. The only thing I don't like is the method she uses of searing chicken and then cooking. I think it tastes stringy and not soft like in baking. So I just change the cooking method. I like that she tells you how to make stock, caramelized onions, tons of dips and her challah is superb. She has so many recipes with chicken and ground meat which are everyday staples. Her soups are also delicious.

I bought BCP because it was on sale on Amazon, but it's going right back. The entire cookbook uses condiments. Mayonnaise in roasted potatoes? And bbq sauce, duck sauce, ketchup and more mayo. I don't use or like any of those ingredients. Frankly I was surprised that they were able to publish a cookbook that doesn't use any real or healthy ingredients. I don't call them recipes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:48 am
Thank you everyone for your insight it's been really interesting to hear the different opinions! I borrowed the PLC from my sister so I'm currently browsing through it, it looks interesting but alot of them have alot of steps not sure if I'll have time to make such elaborate recipes. About the BCP reviews thank you for that. I had a suspicion it will be with loads of condiments and ready made sauces how else can you prepare supper so quick! If anyone can give me a review of raizycooking and BBC3 I'll make my final decision 😃

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:52 am
Anyone have reviews on millennial kosher by busy in Brooklyn?
I ordered BCP and it's coming today but if it really is all condiments, I'm not going to enjoy it- I prefer healthy and simple. Anyone know if Millenial Kosher fits that bill?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:00 am
I have a whole bunch of cookbooks and the one's that I use the most are the balabusta's choice cookbooks. Easy a delicious recipes.

Sparkler

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:13 am
I'm hoping to get the Between Carpools book soon (hint hint hubby) so I can add my honest opinion then. In case you don't have Miriam Pascals cookbooks yet, I'll stick in a vote for those. I find that they really hit the perfect balance of innovative yet "normal"- meaning, I'll actually have the ingredients in my home

Zeleze

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:24 am
My mother gave me all her Nitra Cook books she had when I got married, and I love them still today

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:50 am
Interesting to see a few votes for Miriam Pascal I have her first one (RLKC) and really unimpressed by it. There is maybe 3 recipes I made

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:20 am
I have plc and probably made about 20 recipes at least from it. And got it quite recently. Som simple favorites.
Apple honey mustard chicken. So simple and easy uses about 6 ingredients and delicious.
Peanut butter choc pretzel things. My kids make it. (And my oldest is 9) it’s so simple and fun for kids and adults always love it.
Made a veg meat soup that was outstanding.
Made some of her dressings and chicken marinades and they were all brilliant.
Some dairy recipes were great.
Some of her meats were really delish and easy.
Challah recipe. Is excellent.

I love cookbooks. But this is one of my new favorites. But I love to cook with lots of flavor fresh herbs etc. so this makes sense to me.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:31 am
This is such a personal thing
For example, my sister and sister in laws LOVE the Bais Yaakov cookbook. The binding in mine still cracks when I open it. I've never used any recipes in it. It's not the way I cook at all.
One of my favorite cookbooks is Millennial Kosher. I love how it's full of interesting ingredients and recipes I wouldn't necessarily come up with in my own. Same with the PLC cookbook. It's a huge book with many recipes but I've gravitated towards the "interesting" ones.

So it really depends on how you cook and what types of foods you enjoy

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:46 pm
Ok so I just got Raizy’s cookin cookbook and dinner done.
Raizy’s cookin book is beautiful it’s very traditional and based on shabbos food. It has a lot of tips and writing about shabbos.
Dinner done looks like recipes mainly geared for kids, and easy dinner recipes.
Peas love and carrots had the most gourmet food and it is more middle eastern flavor. I also find some recipes to have lots of steps.

I will probably use dinner done the most because it’s quick and easy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:04 pm
Thanks for the review! I still haven't decided. If anyone got the BCP or Raizycooking one care to post a review please?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:09 pm
I like the idea that raizys book seems more authentic. Like no backdrops but real setups.

If I had to choose I’d get between carpools.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:32 pm
I love reading recipe books.... with in the 30 years married I bought almost all of them.... I would say that in each book im benefiting all kinds hints and tips

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:34 pm
I just came back to check this thread because I also have Rivky Kleiman and Naomi Nachman’s cookbooks on my list too! Which of Miriam Pascal’s cookbooks do you recommend? I don’t know what to but!

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:48 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I just came back to check this thread because I also have Rivky Kleiman and Naomi Nachman’s cookbooks on my list too! Which of Miriam Pascal’s cookbooks do you recommend? I don’t know what to but!

I'm a cookbook junkie - I have a LOT. The ones you list here are among my favorites. I use Miriam Pascal's books the most. I find they are very user-friendly and almost always delicious, but not basic basic. Meaning, it helps if you know your way around the kitchen, but it's not over the top so you don't feel like you don't want to bother. I like Rivky Kleiman's book a lot as well - I've made several things from it and they have all been really good. Naomi Nachman's Pesach cookbook is excellent, but I like it a lot more than Perfect Flavors, which is also a nice book but not nearly as useful as the others quoted above, in my opinion. If you want to try some really interesting things, like kosher Vietnamese, it's a good choice. Otherwise I'd go with one of the others.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics