Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Looking for a totally not scary movie for kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:21 pm
I'd love to see an animated movie with my kids, however I have a 5 year old that finds even the slightest things scary, and will have nightmares. I've been searching online, but it seems like every movie has at least 1 scary part. Looking for ideas.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:21 pm
Bella Brocha...

And then sing: IM GOING TO A WEDDING A WEDDING IM GOING TO A WEDDING TODAY

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:23 pm
It has to be a secular movie or it can be something jewish? Download toveedoo, there're loads of things to watch.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:25 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Bella Brocha...

And then sing: IM GOING TO A WEDDING A WEDDING IM GOING TO A WEDDING TODAY

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually looking for something not Jewish - I want to be able to enjoy it too somewhat - I find that the animated films (like Disney) usually have humor for adults to appreciate as well, while the Jewish kiddie ones are soo boring... I also have some preteens that need to be entertained by it as well.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually looking for something not Jewish - I want to be able to enjoy it too somewhat - I find that the animated films (like Disney) usually have humor for adults to appreciate as well, while the Jewish kiddie ones are soo boring... I also have some preteens that need to be entertained by it as well.

It's hard to find a movie that's interesting for a 5 year old & pre teens. The Jewish kiddie one's may boring for you because they're meant for kids & it's not boring for them.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:33 pm
Mary Poppins? Can't think of any scary scenes

Eta, just realised you wrote animated. Any reason why it particularly has to be animated? I know what you mean about the Pixar/Disney films being adult-friendly, but most of them will probably have a couple scenes that are slightly more dramatic and/or sad and/or scary.

How about Inside Out or Ratatouille? (You can check movies out on commonsensemedia.org for great reviews - they'll tell you exactly how much scariness, bad language, positive messages etc a movie has)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Mary Poppins? Can't think of any scary scenes

Perfect example of a great movie - that has a scary scene - (when the kids are running and being chased from the bank, through the dingy streets...)

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 3:40 pm
You're right... and the other two I mentioned also have minor issues like that. I don't think you'll find one that doesn't unless it's geared to younger kids and therefore boring for everyone else. Either Jewish ones, or something like Winne the Pooh maybe? Can't you just cover the 5-year-old's eyes and ears for two minutes?

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:11 pm
Finding Nemo? If you skip the intro where the mother dies, I don’t remember any other very scary scenes. Maybe other imas remember more

How about Disney’s Robin Hood? I loved it as a kid.

Cars? Disclaimer- I haven’t seen it but kids say it’s not scary

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 5:53 pm
Not animated, but try one of The Muppet Movies. They can be enjoyed by all ages, and no scary scenes or villains.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:10 pm
Lady & The Tramp (classic from 1955)
Dumbo (classic from 1941)

Not animated
Free Willy
Lassie

bigsis144

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:16 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Not animated, but try one of The Muppet Movies. They can be enjoyed by all ages, and no scary scenes or villains.

Muppet movies definitely have scary stuff!!

My sisters are still traumatized by multiple scenes in Muppet Treasure Island (this is my favorite muppet movie, though)

The Great Muppet Caper has Kermit held at gunpoint by cartoonish villains, but there *is* peril.

The first Muppet Movie has a villain literally trying to start a frog-legs restaurant and hunting Kermit down...

Even Elmo in Grouchland (which, as an adult, I will say has some amazing music - we still sing “it’s against the law to use shampoo, so we wash with cheese!” - and Mandy Patinkin having the time of his life chewing the scenery as a villain with the most massive eyebrows ever) has some scary scenes, though Bert and Ernie frequently “stop the movie” to comment on what’s going on, say not to give up because the movie isn’t over yet, etc. It really seems like this movie was made to be a “baby’s first feature-length film” production.

—-

Use the IMDB parental guide to look at movies you’re interested in - they itemize by category and give specific examples of possibly problematic scenes, content and language.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:20 pm
I don’t remember but was dumbo sad?

I remember being scared as a kid of several kids movies

SmileNow

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I don’t remember but was dumbo sad?

I remember being scared as a kid of several kids movies

Anything can be sad and scary.
I was scared watching dumbo. He was separated from his mother, and when they had him to fly.. it was because the building he was on top of was on fire..
I still to this day have not seen the end... I felt so scared, I wouldn't want to be trapped in a burning building 🔥.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lady & The Tramp (classic from 1955)
Dumbo (classic from 1941)

Not animated
Free Willy
Lassie

Dumbo is very sad. And it’s really scary when they are dragging his mother away. Free willy is definitely scary. Don’t remember lassie very well.

Lady and the tramp is scary when the rat is going to bite the baby. And it’s scary and sad when they throw lady out. I remember being pretty creeped out from the Siamese cats too.

SmileNow

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:33 pm
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
Finding Nemo? If you skip the intro where the mother dies, I don’t remember any other very scary scenes. Maybe other imas remember more

How about Disney’s Robin Hood? I loved it as a kid.

Cars? Disclaimer- I haven’t seen it but kids say it’s not scary

For Finding Nemo, definitely skip the intro. I had to be coaxed to come back... I was so scared... at age 9 mind you....
I dont remember any scary part to cars, though I was older already when I saw it.
there might be a scene, when they are on the side of the highway, or when one of the characters are a bit mean... but not terrifying.

Sfmpaf

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:38 pm
my kids like looney tunes- like the old time bugs bunny and tweety bird. not scary at all and very funny but not really a movie tho either.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:39 pm
Ratatouille (although my son calls the scene where the old lady shoots the mouse with a shot gun scary) but I explain its just silly because using a gun on a mouse isn't the appropriate way to get rid of a mouse. We love this movie. So funny for adults too

Flushed away was also cute. I dont remember any scary parts.

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory the original one from the 70s. The boat scene and slugworth can be a little scary but my kids (all under 7) weren't scared even though I remember finding it a little scary as a kid. This movie dh and I were laughing at all the funny little nuances and sarcastic remarks of willy Wonka.

I always talk to my kids about how movies and shows are pretend and that people act out the story. That way they know it's not real. I think this helps in terms of not being scared.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:43 pm
The aristocats- even the "scary" parts are really not scary. More comical, because the bad guy is a silly, bumbling fool.

Peter pan is pretty non scary too

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:00 pm
Very hard to find one with no scary parts, especially for very sensitive kids. I like to stick to PBS shows like daniel tiger.

But lately have been trying to only do jewish dvds like mitzvah boluvard
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics