Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shigella
Previous  1  2

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 7:07 pm
queenie wrote:
So then was your daughter tested? How did they test your daughter?

And really, the doctor was just assuming that your son had it. I mean it seems likely but he didn't really know unless he tested for it right?

How long did you have to wait for the test results for your daughter?

my daughter didnt go through any tests. The doctor just told me that my son had shigella.

queenie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:22 pm
So basically really what your saying is that you don't really know if your kids had shigella. I am shocked at a doctor says a child has a certain illness without properly diagnosing it.

It could have easily just have been a gastro virus.

It's like saying someone has strep throat without doing a throat culture or a sinus infection without an x-ray.

I am just trying to show people that not everyone has this illness, or really this bacteria. It's more likely that most children and adults really just had a gastro virus. Almost everyone that I have spoken to that had a sick child has said that they had shigella but I haven't spoken to anyone that has actually been tested.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 9:08 am
proudmom wrote:
queenie wrote:
So then was your daughter tested? How did they test your daughter?

And really, the doctor was just assuming that your son had it. I mean it seems likely but he didn't really know unless he tested for it right?

How long did you have to wait for the test results for your daughter?

my daughter didnt go through any tests. The doctor just told me that my son had shigella.

ditto

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 9:10 am
queenie wrote:
So basically really what your saying is that you don't really know if your kids had shigella. I am shocked at a doctor says a child has a certain illness without properly diagnosing it..

C'mon queenie- why do u think these docs go through 15 years of school?? They know when a child comes with certain symptons they diagnoss it off the bat. Especially since shegilla is HIGHLY catchy and We all got it at once.

Why is this so difficult for you to believe?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 9:22 am
queenie - why would it bother you if they HAD been mis-diagnosed anyway? (and there's no way you could know that). There treatment (or non-treatment) is the same.

Besides for that, why should you be doubting the doctors diagnosis for someone else??

queenie

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 10:58 am
Quote:
C'mon queenie- why do u think these docs go through 15 years of school??

First off, dr's don't go through 15 years of school. That's just a silly statement.

Quote:
They know when a child comes with certain symptons they diagnoss it off the bat. Especially since shegilla is HIGHLY catchy and We all got it at once.

Shigella has the same syptoms as a simple stomach virus. That can also be contagious so no wonder you all got it.

I have my own reasons for wanting to know if people were properly diagnosed. I think you should have trust in your dr.'s but you should also have enough medical knowledge to know when to question your dr.

Would you start a series of anti-biotics for strep throat without a throat swab because other people in the family had strep, you have a sore and red throat and it's contagious? My husband had strep, I had strep and then my daughter had a fever and a sore throat. I thought, oh no, here we go...Nope she was negative. Had a cold and a few days later she was back to normal. My doc said, she probably has strep - but lets check to know for sure. He gave me a scrip for penicillin and said wait, don't fill it.

Good thing he tested.

micki

Post Thu, Aug 11 2005, 11:28 am
when I called my doc and gave him ny kids symptoms (same as proudmoms) he said it was prob just a stomach virus. he told me shigella is associated with very mucousy and often bloody stools.
but he told me if it still lasts until monday to have it tested. so on monday he gave me the lab orders and B"H the diarea has gone away.

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 5:57 am
Shigella...is that the medical name? Coz to me it sounds kinda yiddish.
Anyway someone mentioned not to use stuff to stop diarhoea (I really can't spell that word) and it's true, but what you can do is take something to replace the lost body salts due to sickness and diarhoea.
I have never really heard of shigella and B"H never got it.
It sounds pretty horrible though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics