Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
When will Israel let in Americans?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:44 am
When oh when will Israel start letting in Americans? With or without quarantine...

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:47 am
Probably around the same time it starts letting in those of every other nationality.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:30 am
It may even be longer than that. America is RED, RED RED and shows no sign of slowing down.

Other countries have mitigation measures in place so they may turn green sooner

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:37 am
Maybe when they see people taking this virus seriously!

rzab

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:53 am
When oh when will Israel let my kids go to school? First let us get back to some form of routine

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:26 am
rzab wrote:
When oh when will Israel let my kids go to school? First let us get back to some form of routine

This. We need to stabilize our situation internally before we start letting in tourists from non-green countries.

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:42 am
DrMom wrote:
This. We need to stabilize our situation internally before we start letting in tourists from non-green countries.

Seriously.
I understand tourists want to come, but please let our country get itself in order first.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:01 am
I'm not sure not letting people in is preventing the spread, when Israel is letting it's own citizens go on vacation to other countries.

It's an easy thing to do, barring people come in, but not sure how effective it is. My country has no bars on entering, one just needs to quarantine. Passports do not confer immunity on people.

I am all for countries stopping the spread, this method seems stupid.

My child was unable too finish their year of study in Israel (not seminary, a vocational course) due to covid restrictions on entering, even though they had a visa. Not everyone wants to tour. Some people have actual lives they want to get on with. It really made me angry when I then see Israelis coming here to tour.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:14 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I'm not sure not letting people in is preventing the spread, when Israel is letting it's own citizens go on vacation to other countries.

It's an easy thing to do, barring people come in, but not sure how effective it is. My country has no bars on entering, one just needs to quarantine. Passports do not confer immunity on people.

My child was unable too finish their year of study in Israel (not seminary, a vocational course) due to covid restrictions on entering, even though they had a visa. Not everyone wants to tour. Some people have actual lives they want to get on with. It really made me angry when I then see Israelis coming here to tour.
But thats america's choice, not israel. America is not as strict with who they are letting into america as Israel is about who we aer letting in here.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:25 am
Israel is a small enough country for closong the borders to be effective. America has so much uncontrolled internal movement, that stopping people coming in and out would be virtually useless. They would have to close state borders to have a remotely similar effect.

Israel has recently defined Eilat and Yam HaMelach as corona free tourist zones. Everyone going in, including local residents has to present a negative corona test from within the past week. So far, controlling entry is working. The area remains corona free, the hotels are allowed to operate, and people can go away for a few days.

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Each country is taking the measures that they believe will be most effective to protect their citizens, depending on the unique curcumstances of that country.

I believe we've had this discussion before, but if your daughter had chosen to stay last Pesach her visa would have remained valid and been extended as necessary. A number of students did make this choice. Equally, had her school been willing to comply with the regulations for a student visa, she would have been able to come back. Thirdly, physical university classes are not taking place this semester (and possibly not this year), and she can participate on zoom from America as well as from the college dorm.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:07 am
When America becomes a green country, whenever that is.
BTW Israel has allowed travelers from Turkey back in without isolation (or maybe they just weren’t strict with enforcing the isolation?) which caused a huge outbreak in the Arab sector.
I can’t imagine this policy of barring citizens from red countries in changing.
BTW I wish there were a mechanism that would allow safe travel between green American states and Israel.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:17 am
chanchy123 wrote:
When America becomes a green country, whenever that is.
BTW Israel has allowed travelers from Turkey back in without isolation (or maybe they just weren’t strict with enforcing the isolation?) which caused a huge outbreak in the Arab sector.
I can’t imagine this policy of barring citizens from red countries in changing.
BTW I wish there were a mechanism that would allow safe travel between green American states and Israel.

Since there is nothing to stop interstate travel in the US, that seems unlikely.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:44 am
Last Pesach, just before Israel closed the borders, someone here was speculating that cases were very high in NY, so she was unlikely to be allowed in from there, but maybe she could fly somewhere else with low cases and then catch a connecting flight to Israel. Precisely to prevent people who think like that, America is regarded as a unit, not as individual states.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:02 am
DrMom wrote:
Since there is nothing to stop interstate travel in the US, that seems unlikely.

I know, but still wish it were possible.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:13 am
Lol America is imploding from the inside. No sensible country would let Americans in. Maybe if people could produce a negative COVID test taken immediately before travel. But I’ve read some Americans even refuse to get tested so...

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:37 am
Elfrida wrote:
Each country is taking the measures that they believe will be most effective to protect their citizens, depending on the unique curcumstances of that country.

I believe we've had this discussion before, but if your daughter had chosen to stay last Pesach her visa would have remained valid and been extended as necessary. A number of students did make this choice. Equally, had her school been willing to comply with the regulations for a student visa, she would have been able to come back. Thirdly, physical university classes are not taking place this semester (and possibly not this year), and she can participate on zoom from America as well as from the college dorm.

If I could tell the future I would have bought amazon or zoom shares a year ago and be very rich. LOL And we chose a school long before covid broke out, without knowing this would be an issue. Its a commuter school aimed at Israelis so they can't comply with the regulations since they have no dorm. Also, my country is on the green list, but we were still unable to renew her visa. Anyway, its all academic since her course got cancelled. Possibly covid related, not sure. She is doing something else now, and carrying on her course of studies online. She could have carried on doing a slightly different course with the same institution but she said if she is doing it in online she may as well do it in english, so she signed up to a different course.

My point is, Israels borders are not closed if Israelis are going on vacation. They are open, just not for non Israelis. Or you want to visit your grandchild, which is seemingly much much more important then studying.

Other countries have closed borders very effectively. Not Israel.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
If I could tell the future I would have bought amazon or zoom shares a year ago and be very rich. LOL And we chose a school long before covid broke out, without knowing this would be an issue. Its a commuter school aimed at Israelis so they can't comply with the regulations since they have no dorm. Also, my country is on the green list, but we were still unable to renew her visa. Anyway, its all academic since her course got cancelled. Possibly covid related, not sure. She is doing something else now, and carrying on her course of studies online. She could have carried on doing a slightly different course with the same institution but she said if she is doing it in online she may as well do it in english, so she signed up to a different course.

My point is, Israels borders are not closed if Israelis are going on vacation. They are open, just not for non Israelis. Or you want to visit your grandchild, which is seemingly much much more important then studying.

You sound very resentful, and understandably so.

Israelis going on vacation have to quarantine upon their return to Israel. But the number of Israelis is very small compared to the number of the people in the world at large. And by the same token, the number of people coming in to visit a grandchild (it's limited to grandmothers and grandfathers only - no aunts, uncles, expectant parents' siblings, etc.) is very small in comparison to the number of students who come to Israel to study for a year.

I think Israel has very effectively closed its borders, and Israel's decision to close its borders has been an important factor in the country's ability to gain control over the outbreak at any given moment.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

you do know that grandparent visas are only for birth or Bar Mizvahs not just random visits, don't you? My guess is that you'd be pretty upset if you weren't allowed to visit your daughter and new grandchild after she gave birth.

And that student visas need to be arranged by the school, and have nothing to do with green red or yellow countries?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

I think it’s just easier to ban everyone, than actually sifting out applicants that are and are not let in. I’m pretty sure the green zones (Eilat and Dead Sea) are also open to international tourists who can provide negative tests, I’m guessing very soon faimilies will plan joint vacations with Israelis and their family members from abroad in these areas.
Anyhow, as I said, Israel has not been great about isolating returning tourists and there is this massive outbreak in the Arab sector due to Israelis returning from Turkey.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics