Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Covid19, poll, is it like measles or the flu?

Covid19, how many times?
No one I know has had the virus at all  
 2%  [ 4 ]
I only know people who have had it once  
 74%  [ 130 ]
I know one person/ family that have had it twice  
 8%  [ 14 ]
I know more than 1 person/ family that has had it twice  
 14%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 174

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:27 am
For amother chocolate and every other person who thinks its you get it once in your lifetime type of virus.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 11:30 am
It’s too new to actually know

bobeli

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:49 pm
They are 4 documented cases worldwide, out of almost 59 million. I let you do the math....
Maybe buy a lottery ticket while you are at it

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:55 pm
I only count it as having it twice if you tested positive both times.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

And also tested negative in between once it was gone after the first time

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:39 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

Elon Musk just took 4 tests back to back same nurse same day same lab , didn't even leave the room.... 2 came back negative 2 came back positive.

So these tests aren't even accurate

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:54 pm
Dh got it twice. I possibly did too. So did his friend. But it was much milder 2nd time around. It could have been mistaken for the flu, which was also going around. (He tested. I'm going with symptoms plus exposure). But our kids were tested and were negative. So either testing is off or kids get stronger antibodies or 2nd time around is less contageous/weaker).

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:56 pm
None of the other coronaviruses are once in a lifetime. Nor are most upper respiratory viruses.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:30 pm
I have a relative who had antibodies. Got it again bad with a heart atache. Hospital said was positive with antibodies.
A neighbor of ours tested positive in April. Had antibodies. Tested positive again around Rosh hashana. Felt exactly the same as first time and that is why decided to test. But then had 2 negatives after so it may have been false positive.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
None of the other coronaviruses are once in a lifetime. Nor are most upper respiratory viruses.

But some have 2 yr immunity. Most have minimum 6 months.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:17 am
Those who voted they don’t know anyone who had it, where do you live?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:23 am
bobeli wrote:
They are 4 documented cases worldwide, out of almost 59 million. I let you do the math....
Maybe buy a lottery ticket while you are at it

There's increasing evidence that people can get it again, but it is probably unlikely. See, eg,

https://www.sciencemag.org/new.....-some

https://www.prevention.com/hea.....wice/

Common sense tells me to continue to socially distance and wear a mask.

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:04 am
I had antibodies in June & was positive for covid19 in September.

My family was sick in January but were not tested for covid19 then, but had the symptoms. In September half my family tested positive for Covid19.

banana123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:21 am

Exactly

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:14 am

But no other coronavirus or upper respiratory virus can compare to this one. This one is way different and no one can figure it out indefinitely
Where as other viruses they have some sort of guideline.

This attacks everyone differently. Some not so much. Some it attacks other organs not jsut the lungs and not always does lack of oxygen cause the other organs to have issues. Some medicine works for some and same medicine doesn't work for others

Along with a bunch of differences
So don't think you can compare this to anything else out there.

I dont think SD or mask wearing helps but ppl have to do what makes them feel safe.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:42 am
The people I know who claim to have got it twice are people who never tested positive the first time but were convinced they must have had it. One had flu-like symptoms around mid March and the other had no symptoms they remembered but relied on a positive antibody test (from a lab my doctor doesn't trust). They both actually tested positive in September and had the loss of taste and smell then too (which I read somewhere is more accurate than some of the tests)
I also know two OTHER people who despite numerous exposures (spouses had it, kids had it another time, workmate one worked with very closely had it) never got it. Both tested negative for antibodies after their first exposure but never bothered to test for antibodies after subsequent exposures figuring even if they had gotten it it was probably too mild to develop antibodies since no symptoms.

What I personally have learned about this virus is that there are no rules. We don't understand what makes it tick yet. Even the scientists are just making educated guesses.

And speaking of measles. A significant minority of people don't develop immunity from two vaccines or even the infection. That's the point of mass vaccination programs. The herd immunity protects them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics