Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is so great about an air fryer? iso black friday sales?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 4:53 pm
If you make shnitzel and other fried foods in it, does it really taste fried? Where can I buy one on sale for black friday?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:22 pm
It works with air force. A fan circulates hot air around the food at high speed. It cooks the food and results in a crispy layer.

If you miss the fried taste of fries/shnitzel and a baked version doesn't do it for you, then the air fryer might be worthwhile for you.

Personally I'm fine with oven baked fries, breaded cutlets, etc. but the air fryer does give them a certain "taste". I'd rather just use a disposable cookie sheet and bake everything, than deal with another appliance.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:24 pm
It's a great alternative if you have the room to store it, and you have the patience to clean it.
You can make fantastic bbq chicken drumsticks, but it also makes a fantastic mess. Some of my family members make frozen fries on it, I'd rather just pop mine in the oven.
For me it's not worth it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 6:50 pm
It looks like it's not for me then. I don't have room or patience to clean. thanks for your input.

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:00 pm
I had read all the hype and thought I should get one. Luckily I read reviews in terms of what they accomplish and the drawbacks including storing, limited capacity and dealing with clean up so I realized I didn’t want ine.

For crispy oven baked stuff, I find that placing them on the kind of rack that is almost like mesh creates a crispy all around layer since the bottom doesn’t sit on a solid surface. And panko is more crispy than regular crumbs.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:05 pm
Funny this comes up. My parents just got one and my mother told me last night they want to buy me one for Chanukah. So I went online to read up and honestly it seems like the last thing I need in my life. My mother said she made a whole chicken in it and it was the best chicken of her life. Maybe. But my regular oven chicken is pretty darn good. I can't imagine what would improve it enough to take up so much counter space with this thing. If I'm going to get something bulky to clutter my kitchen, I think I'd rather get an ice cream maker.

number

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:51 pm
I love mine! It’s smaller than a convection oven and so easy to clean. It holds lots of food and it solves my issue of having just one oven. I have a fleishig one and a milchug toaster, but I’d love to have a milchug one as well.

I bought one for pesach and it wasn’t nearly as good. My regular one was more pricey but I wish I’d bought another one just like it.

I don’t understand those that say it’s more work. For me it’s way more convenient. And it’s really not that big.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:28 pm
I just got one. I stopped eating fried foods recently. Breaded schnitzel isn't exactly the same as fried but still yummy. We made shnitzel and fries so far. It also cooks in a fraction if the time. I made the shnitzel by running it only 5 minutes on each side!!! It is klutzy, but I found an out of the way place to store it. So far clean ups have been very easy.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:09 am
So funny, the negative reviews here.
We love ours! The clean up is one of the best parts, no splashes of oil all over the stove top. Just ONE easily cleanable pot.
The food is yum. I've made all kinds of things and everything was delicious.
And so much healthier.
And fast easy cooking! No standing over a frying pan. Just set the timer, go about your business and listen for the end beep.

I do hear about the storage and it's a bit small for a large family.

But for me the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
To each their own.
Good luck!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:43 am
Mine is pretty small so I have to cook things in batches but it’s way better for fries than baking... I’ve made falafel (frozen) in it too... also love that it takes so fast to cook things in it! I only use mine for parve so dnt know about shnitzel and stuff but I’ve definitely considered buying a second one so I can use one for milk and one for meat

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:03 am
I think if you bake most things and never fry, and you're happy with the way the food comes out, it's not worth getting an air fryer. But if you love frying and hate the clean up and the amount of oil used, the air fryer is a great alternative.

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:52 am
If it’s mostly for schnitzel & fries then maybe try a Betty Crocker? Love mine & I cook supper in it almost every night.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:10 am
I was very excited about my air fryer but after using it for a bit I found that although the machine itself is very large, the actual capacity of the pan is small. When you’re frying (or air frying) you can’t layer things on top of each other so even if I was cooking for just DH and me I still had to do things in batches and they weren’t so quick once you add up all the time for all the batches....

Since then I have bought a deep fryer which although is obviously not healthy I LOVE. It holds a lot I find and much quicker frying time.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I was very excited about my air fryer but after using it for a bit I found that although the machine itself is very large, the actual capacity of the pan is small. When you’re frying (or air frying) you can’t layer things on top of each other so even if I was cooking for just DH and me I still had to do things in batches and they weren’t so quick once you add up all the time for all the batches....

Since then I have bought a deep fryer which although is obviously not healthy I LOVE. It holds a lot I find and much quicker frying time.

I have something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Air.....46901 which holds a lot more than a basket fryer, but is pretty big.

I do enjoy it. It makes an absolutely spectacular delicata squash, crisps up fries, and makes a good piece of chicken. Not sure I would have purchased it, but it belonged to my late BIL.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen