Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
If someone converts orthodox and decides

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:10 pm
Not to do any mitzvos or keep Torah, does that make their orthodox geirus invalid? Or is that a myth?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:11 pm
It does not make the geirus invalid.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:13 pm
If their geirus was kosher then they are Jewish. If they stop keeping mitzvos then they are responsible like any other jew. They will for ever be Jewish.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:13 pm
No.

bumpkin2

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:14 pm
My understanding is the beis din withhold the geirus certificate for a full year after they toivel in the mikvah in order to make sure they are sincere

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:14 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
My understanding is the beis din withhold the geirus certificate for a full year after they toivel in the mikvah in order to make sure they are sincere
I don't think I ever heard of this concept. Is this in Israel?

finprof

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:18 pm
I've heard the idea before and it always pissed me off. Being frum is a choice for every Jew so why should we respect them any less than we would any other Jew who chooses not to be frum?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:18 pm
Oh so it’s a myth. Thanks!

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:19 pm
It means the frum person is now "off the derech" just like any other frum person who decides not to keep mitzvos.

I know this because I've asked this question before regarding a close friend of mine. I was actually her mikvah attendant at her geirus and her kallah teacher. I have another former close friend who did this as well. It's more common than people realize. She and her husband converted together, got remarried, and 6 months later she had a non-Jewish boyfriend. They got divorced and she is now married to the boyfriend and they have a child together. I spoke to the rav who converted her at the request of my community rav (long story). The women's status is Jewish and the child is Jewish as well. She can always IYH become a baalas teshuva...

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:20 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Oh so it’s a myth. Thanks! Someone was telling me this and I was like wut

It's not exactly a myth. People in Israel have had their conversion cancelled because of things like this. I think it's terrible, but it has happened.

I guess beit din will argue they were never sincere or something. But IMO it's something that should never be done, especially once there are children.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:21 pm
Whoa, what?! In israel?!

Soul on fire

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:21 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:

Mine wasn't withheld for any amount of time. And they know during the process if you are sincere...conversion isn't so easy.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:24 pm
finprof wrote:
I've heard the idea before and it always pissed me off. Being frum is a choice for every Jew so why should we respect them any less than we would any other Jew who chooses not to be frum?

Any jew who chooses not to be frum is still jewish. OP wanted to know if a ger who chooses not to be frum is still considered jewish.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Any jew who chooses not to be frum is still jewish. OP wanted to know if a ger who chooses not to be frum is still considered jewish.

Yes this was my question but I already got enough answers. Thank you all.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:40 pm
Yes, but I also heard that it is on the neshama of the Rov who let you do a giur

thread closed by request of op
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics