Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do YOU make more than 200K
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:38 am
I’m a social worker with masters degree and 30 plus years experience. I’m now in administration. $98k gross. For the amount of work I do and how hard I work, it should be more. But that’s how poorly social workers are paid. I’m at the top of the scale.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I’m a social worker with masters degree and 30 plus years experience. I’m now in administration. $98k gross. For the amount of work I do and how hard I work, it should be more. But that’s how poorly social workers are paid. I’m at the top of the scale.

I hear you, as I share my office with the MSW.
I am not sure if we are fools who missed the special memo, or if everyone is delusional that you should definitely go into SW as everyone will become a therapist and make $250 and hour and be able to conveniently fill 40 billable hours a week.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
...I'm an attorney. Yes, I earn more than 200k per year. On average, about 300k gross but this year, due to a number of factors, my income was 475k. I work approximately 33-35 billable hours per week but also manage an entire division of my firm, am an equity partner in a firm of 30 people and answer emails and calls 24/7, except shabbos. I'm directly responsible for the workflow of three associates and two paralegals as well as responsible for bringing in 10% of our firm's total cash receipts. I don't feel like I work THAT HARD compared to my friends in the field but I also worked extremely hard to go from first year associate to this position. My job has a significant amount of responsibility and it took years to get in this position, with this sort of revenue.

I assume you have full time help

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:03 am
Attorney working in house in ny area, at about 250k. I work 45 hours a week, which is harder than it seems in the winter since Friday is only half a day. If I was still at a law firm I would work twice as hard and make twice as much. Literally.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not sure if we are fools who missed the special memo, or if everyone is delusional that you should definitely go into SW as everyone will become a therapist and make $250 and hour and be able to conveniently fill 40 billable hours a week.

Maybe that therapist at $250/hour is a phd psychologist? She must be in the top 1% of billers. Lots of therapists are happy to get $60/hour between insurance and co-pays.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:06 am
Amazon business, I’m involved, but admittedly my dh runs it. The reason I am posting is because it would be possible for a woman to do it as well based on opportunity and amount of time needed, plus flexibility.
The business netted more than $3M this year. Bh. Bh. Lots of Mazel involved!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It’s insane. I’m actually just starting out as a social worker but looking for a way to pivot my career in a more lucrative direction - if anyone has ideas. (Willing to do some more schooling as well but not sure how I feel about starting from scratch in an entirely different field).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:12 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Amazon business, I’m involved, but admittedly my dh runs it. The reason I am posting is because it would be possible for a woman to do it as well based on opportunity and amount of time needed, plus flexibility.
The business netted more than $3M this year. Bh. Bh. Lots of Mazel involved!

What’s involved in an Amazon business? Is it just importing cheap stuff from China and selling it for more?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you work hard to market yourself and get a good name in the frum community, you can make a very decent amount as a private social worker, at least in Brooklyn and Lakewood. The lower average rate charged here in Lakewood is $150 for 45 min.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I make between 25-40 a year doing a playgroup but I also pay taxes on it . It's hard because even though I am in high demand I can't take more than I do so I can't really up my earning so much. But I'm not paying babysitting for my kids not in school and I'm always home if they have a random day off or are not feeling well . I know things like that would end up costing me more if both of us would be out of the home.

Can you do longer hours? Raise your prices?

Where I live there is a shortage of playgroups and people would definitely pay more to get into one especially if it's a good one.

A friend of mine has a playgroup, has 12 two yr olds, an assistant and is open from 8-5. She does pretty well for someone that doesn't have to leave her house and can be home with her baby. Even after paying her assistant she still grosses a lot.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:45 am
I think when it comes to mental health you have to specialize in a specific niche that others in your area dont and really develop relationships with referral sources. I sent my son for years to a masters level counselor who specialized in boys in the yeshiva system. He knows the ins and outs of all the Elem schools and mesitvos in town, he knows what the expectations are, what behaviors are tolerated and what is considered a no go and the schools respect his opinion a lot. I felt that the therapy was targeted to helping my son be socially successful and it worked. I paid him 95 an hour and he had a full full case load and low overhead. Small office very unfancy no employees. I think he charges more now. Its nothing to sneeze at.

My friend took her son to a therapist specializing in anxiety disorders and selective mutism and it was a fortune. That is all he sees all day and he gets results. He used a very specific method that other therapists who see more general issues dont know.

I think therapists who spend the time and money developing a real area of specialization do better then ones that try to open a general practice and see a little of everything. Most therapists in my city seem to pick a direction and see those patients. If you look in our local phone book there is someone who sees mostly teen girls and women, someone who sees DV victims, substance abuse, marital issues, one woman specializes in patients post illness. Very few have a general practice. I think patients dont want to see that kind of therapist.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:27 pm
I keep seeing these threads focused on how much people make, and make no mistake I'm not saying it's not important, but I feel like quality of life is more.

Some people make 200k and it's not enough and their quality of life suffers, some people make an average amount but have tranquility, calm home and routine.

Life is more, it's about spending quality time with your family and friends, being able to take a walk in the park, just saying.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I assume you have full time help

I actually don't have help anymore since my kids all started school, which is difficult but rewarding in its own way. I love being there to pick my kids up from school every day and my husband takes them in the mornings. We fold laundry at night, watching Netflix or just schmoozing about our day. We have a low key shabbos and we're a pretty self-sufficient family unit. Cleaning help would be AMAZING though. I really need that in my life. But really, we're all about being a family and spending time together when we can. I can 100% take a job at a bigger firm for a lot more money but then I would never see my kids and that's not my goal in life. I earn enough, bh, to be happy and save. That's good enough for us.

Please don't make assumptions about others. I worked insanely hard to get where I am. It's chaotic and busy but rewarding. It's also the path I chose in life. No one else's.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I keep seeing these threads focused on how much people make, and make no mistake I'm not saying it's not important, but I feel like quality of life is more.

Some people make 200k and it's not enough and their quality of life suffers, some people make an average amount but have tranquility, calm home and routine.

Life is more, it's about spending quality time with your family and friends, being able to take a walk in the park, just saying.

Of course quality of life is more important than income. Income is a means to an end for 99% of people, not an end in itself.

But in my experience, there is a lot of correlation between earning potential and quality of life, at least in the United States. It's actually quite unfair in my opinion and unfortunate, but nonetheless real. It's not merely about the cash coming in every month, but all the privileges that often accompany the high earning potential.

Up to a point of course. Going from very high earning to merely high earning does often result in much better quality of life. But going from high earning to low earning is, in my opinion, more likely to be detrimental to quality of life, though individual circumstances will always create exceptions.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Of course quality of life is more important than income. Income is a means to an end for 99% of people, not an end in itself.

But in my experience, there is a lot of correlation between earning potential and quality of life, at least in the United States. It's actually quite unfair in my opinion and unfortunate, but nonetheless real. It's not merely about the cash coming in every month, but all the privileges that often accompany the high earning potential.

Up to a point of course. Going from very high earning to merely high earning does often result in much better quality of life. But going from high earning to low earning is, in my opinion, more likely to be detrimental to quality of life, though individual circumstances will always create exceptions.
Yes, it really becomes an issue when high earning is not enough and people want to make more and more and forget why they make money in the first place. Of course high earning to very low earning is not a fair comparison, but some people choose to have enough and have time, while others are so busy making more and more for retirement and keeping up with their neighbors that they forget what life is all about!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:24 pm
I’m a stay at home mom and I make $0k and I’m drooling reading about how much money some ladies are making. I wish I can work with one of you and feel like I have a purpose and fulfillment. Halevai!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
What’s involved in an Amazon business? Is it just importing cheap stuff from China and selling it for more?

That’s like saying what’s involved in becoming a master chef, throwing a bunch of ingredients together and putting the oven on.....

Importing is one way to sell on Amazon but there is a lot more to it than most people can fathom.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Yes, it really becomes an issue when high earning is not enough and people want to make more and more and forget why they make money in the first place. Of course high earning to very low earning is not a fair comparison, but some people choose to have enough and have time, while others are so busy making more and more for retirement and keeping up with their neighbors that they forget what life is all about!

I'm sure that what you are describing does happen. But it's hard to judge from the outside unless you are very familiar with the person's industry and their particular place in it. It is not always a simple linear tradeoff between quality of life and earnings. In fact, I'd say it usually is not.

A person who can earn $200K can't automatically choose to work 50% of the hours for $100K or 80% of the hours for $160K, even if that might be perfect for his quality of life. Also, it is not always an option to stay at a certain level in some fields or even to move down. If you're not moving up, then you may be out. Young people entering the workplace rarely understand all of the dynamics that will someday constrain their choices.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 1:39 pm
Are any of you in Brooklyn and hiring??

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:46 pm
I made around $100,000 the final three years at my job as a Sr. Court Librarian.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics