Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to play with toddler

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:03 pm
Mom of almost 2 year old (my only), and I need tips for how to play with her. It sounds so bad as I'm typing it. I love dancing with her, singing songs, going for walks - just really don't know how to "play." I get down on the floor and try playing magnatiles or blocks, encourage her to play with her toy kitchen; I just don't know how to play with her, and get bored very easily. If I don't, she just follows me around, or wanders around the room.
The funny thing is I'm kind of bored of her toys, but she has tons of them! Trying to get her to play independently too, not working.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:27 pm
Sounds normal. I'm home with my 15 month old all day and I'm becoming SO bored of her toys. Because of COVID we are always home now.
With my older child we would go out every day. So we would play at home a bit but we went out and played other places also- the library, kiddie play places, the zoo, etc. Going out was so much easier.

But yes the same toys every day is boring. We end up doing a lot of housework together and I feel really bad for her. We unload the dishwasher every day, clean up and organize the playroom (well, she makes a mess while I try to clear faster than she can destroy....), fold laundry, etc.

btw one thing that helps a little is to try to put away most of the toys and only have few things out at a time. Switch them up every few days- a week. So things are "newer" feeling and she will get more excited and interested in them (which may help you out a bit. I find it's more fun to play with things when they are more excited about them).

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's suggestions.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 2:31 pm
I'll sit in the room but do my own thing. Every so often I'll look over and say wow such a tall tower, or I love the circle you made. Or I'll say do you want to get the trees and add them to your city etc... With the kitchen I'll say can you make some soup, when she brings it over pretend to eat and say it's delicious can you make chicken now... I don't think you need to actually be physically building with your kid, you just need to be present and give them attention.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:27 pm
1. Involve her in errands and chores
2. Rotate toys
3. To encourage independent play, be nearby but don't play for her

This is Montessori style parenting
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics