Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Catan, Ticket to Ride - any hashkafa issues?
Previous  1  2

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:25 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Two men and one woman isn't a yichud problem, only the other way around 2 women and 1 man, so feel free to buy it with no compunctions. Smile

Why?
As far as I know, the rules are:
1 man, 1 woman- not allowed.
You can add as many men as you want and it's STILL not allowed. We don't trust men. Smile
You can add either: 2 more women, the woman's father/brother/son, the male's wife/daughter/mother, the woman's mother-in-law, or a little kid and it's okay.

But this is in an open area in the field so I don't see any problem.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:30 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Catan: on the box there’s a picture of a woman talking to two men in a field - not sure if anyone else is depicted nearby, so a potential yichud problem right there...

Amazing game, though.
Ive never played catan but if the men and women are outside, there is NO issue with yichud.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:39 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
We call settlers of Catan "Settlers of Satan" here. It brings out the competitive Type A ness of my kids. I no longer let my kids play it when I'm trying to nap on Shabbos afternoon lol
The shouting and yelling
Oy LOL

We call it Kettlers of Satan.

lol.

I always think the cities look a bit like churches but thats it. Its a whole medievel theme.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:58 am
On the box of Ticket to Ride there are two ladies in very tight fitting clothes. If when you play you flip the box top and put it under the inner box, then you should have no issue.

We are planning on getting a second Catan expansion pack for Chanukah.

moonstone

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:59 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Catan: on the box there’s a picture of a woman talking to two men in a field - not sure if anyone else is depicted nearby, so a potential yichud problem right there...

Amazing game, though.

Wait, there are people who wouldn't buy a game because there's a drawing of people possibly violating yichud? Please tell me you're joking.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:36 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Why?
As far as I know, the rules are:
1 man, 1 woman- not allowed.
You can add as many men as you want and it's STILL not allowed. We don't trust men. Smile
You can add either: 2 more women, the woman's father/brother/son, the male's wife/daughter/mother, the woman's mother-in-law, or a little kid and it's okay.

But this is in an open area in the field so I don't see any problem.

According to R' Moshe, two men with one woman is okay during the day as long as the men are not prutzim (a secular Jew or non-Jew according to R' Moshe; any man who doesn't adhere to shmiras einayim, has unfiltered Internet or TV access according to R' Elyashiv). The men are considered shomrim for each other. "Yichud is permitted with two or more men during the day-time and evening hours, and with three or more men during nighttime sleeping hours."

According to Sephardim, two men cannot be secluded with one woman.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:37 am
moonstone wrote:
Wait, there are people who wouldn't buy a game because there's a drawing of people possibly violating yichud? Please tell me you're joking.

Well, the question seemed to warrant such an answer. People don't normally obsess over whether there's anything wrong with the pictures in a game before they buy it. The poster simply responded based on any conceivable problem she imagined OP could have.

(I know someone who censored a book for her 5th grader because it had a priest in it.)

miami85

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:49 am
ticket to ride has absolutely no people anywhere. The only "issue" is "riding" or "planning a trip"--but of course I mean that in-jest. I think if Monopoly is now considered OK this shouldn't be a problem.

keym

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:53 am
I will say in honesty, we bought many, many various boards for ticket to ride during corona lockdown.
India, Africa, possibly one or two others have pictures of native people in native dress.
Depends on how sensitive, Some people may choose to cover over the Indian women. We chose not.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:

(I know someone who censored a book for her 5th grader because it had a priest in it.)

Might as well erase the history of most of our ancestors....

My Chassidish great-grandfather was a Rav in a small Hungarian town. The priest used to visit him to shmooze all the time. Probably weren't many other literate and intelligent people for him to talk to.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:03 am
miami85 wrote:
ticket to ride has absolutely no people anywhere. The only "issue" is "riding" or "planning a trip"--but of course I mean that in-jest. I think if Monopoly is now considered OK this shouldn't be a problem.

When was Monopoly not considered okay?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
According to R' Moshe, two men with one woman is okay during the day as long as the men are not prutzim (a secular Jew or non-Jew according to R' Moshe; any man who doesn't adhere to shmiras einayim, has unfiltered Internet or TV access according to R' Elyashiv). The men are considered shomrim for each other. "Yichud is permitted with two or more men during the day-time and evening hours, and with three or more men during nighttime sleeping hours."

According to Sephardim, two men cannot be secluded with one woman.

Okay, then. So it's not a problem.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:16 am
mamma llama wrote:
When was Monopoly not considered okay?

Many people don't play Monopoly on Shabbos because it involves handling "money".

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:22 am
Yes, of course I was joking.

I stand corrected about the two men one woman thing. And I was worried about it being outside because the area is otherwise deserted.

OP, I think we can all learn from this not to ask Imamother for advice about which games are appropriate. This is the kind of question for a competent rav.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:53 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Target has a half price sale on games now. I am eying Caton. Is it a really good game?

Yes the game is worth every penny. We bought it around March last year and played (10 yr old, 12 yr old, teens) for about a month straight. Completely worth it and very engrossing.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:01 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Yes the game is worth every penny. We bought it around March last year and played (10 yr old, 12 yr old, teens) for about a month straight. Completely worth it and very engrossing.

It's a really fun game but gets boring after a while. Then there are extensions.
We got it as a gift but I wouldn't buy it.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:08 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Yes, of course I was joking.

I stand corrected about the two men one woman thing. And I was worried about it being outside because the area is otherwise deserted.

OP, I think we can all learn from this not to ask Imamother for advice about which games are appropriate. This is the kind of question for a competent rav.

Do people really ask their rav about this or just use common sense? Seriously?

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
[/b]

What is common sense?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:21 pm
Speaking about kosher games, what do you think about the game 'Clue' for kids?

I was recently considering getting it. I never had it as a kid, but my friends did. I was reading the description, and realized that its about murders, who killed whom and where... Doesnt anyone have an issue with that?

amother [ Teal ] wrote:
[/b]

She was joking!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics