Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Wrong info for direct $ app - who is responsible?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:24 pm
Someone provided a service for me. They gave me info to send money via Venmo. I sent it. A few days later, they asked if I had sent it, and I sent a screenshot of the receipt. After a week, they came back to me saying that I sent it to the wrong app since they wanted the Square app, and they asked me to cancel the transaction and resend the money. Venmo wouldn't let me cancel anymore because it was accepted by the person on the other end. (It's really odd, because it's the same name with the same company, and it's not a terribly common spelling.)

I filed a dispute with Venmo, but I doubt they'll allow it because it was a mistake on my end. But it wasn't really my mistake; it's the info this person gave to me. For some reason, the service provider gave me the handle from a company that they work with contingently rather than their own info, and they told me that the info was for Venmo instead of Square. They claim that they told me to send it through Square and the mistake was mine, but it wasn't. I made specific note of it and sent the money 10 minutes after I spoke to them originally.

Do I need to pay again? I have such a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm tempted to just pay the $100 and then never use this service provider again. It's someone that I had built a friendly relationship with.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:47 pm
Sounds like a good question for a rav who deals with money matters.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 8:49 pm
Oy what an awful situation. I’d definitely ask a Rav. Very curious what the answer would be! I feel like it belongs in that book that I can’t remember the name of now that a lot of people read at the shabbos table with true stories from a rav with interesting money related shaylahs.

If I were you and was very confident she said venmo Id not feel that I owe anything.

Cookin4days

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:10 pm
Deff ask a rabbi

Also why don’t you try to contact the people you sent the venmo too and ask for it back? Maybe request the make you back saying it was an accident that you sent it over and hopefully they’re nice people and send it back

Next time get everything in word - so it isn’t she said he said

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:12 pm
For starters, they should reach out to the person/company who accepted your payment, explain what happened, and see if they will give the money back.

number

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:51 pm
They gave you the wrong info, and they’re misusing Venmo. The app is intended only for friends and family. So they took a risk by having you pay that way, and IMO they should take the loss. Obviously ask a rav first. (But be sure to include the fact that what they did is the equivalent of having you send a pile of cash to the wrong address.)

The proper way to get paid for a service is to send a bill through an app that is designed for that purpose. Since it’s a commercial transaction the app does take a cut, but on the plus side, you know the payment will go through properly. I believe square has that functionality but obviously your provider decided to be cheap.

Last edited by number on Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

number

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After a week, they came back to me saying that I sent it to the wrong app since they wanted the Square app, and they asked me to cancel the transaction and resend the money.
Something seems fishy. It took them a week to realize they wanted square and not Venmo. I wouldn’t be so quick to give in.

number

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Oy what an awful situation. I’d definitely ask a Rav. Very curious what the answer would be! I feel like it belongs in that book that I can’t remember the name of now that a lot of people read at the shabbos table with true stories from a rav with interesting money related shaylahs.

If I were you and was very confident she said venmo Id not feel that I owe anything.
Is it rav zhilberstein?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:05 pm
For this reason, I ask for invoices for everything. “What do you mean I did it wrong? I paid through the link you emailed me!”

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:25 pm
The service provider is going to call her Rav. I normally pay by cash or check. She says she did me a favor by letting me pay through an app since she knew I didn't have cash. But I would have brought cash if she told me no... why did she go through a company? She says she couldn't get through to the company for a few days because they were closed, but that's the whole issue; if it was her personal account, she would have recognized the mistake right away, and we would have canceled it.

I emailed the email address that was given to me, which actually does belong to those people. I don't know how money could have gone through to their email address, but that's not their account.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:27 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
For this reason, I ask for invoices for everything. “What do you mean I did it wrong? I paid through the link you emailed me!”

Even if, let's say, it was a private tutor for your child? It's a similar type of service, much more heimish.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:27 pm
number wrote:
Something seems fishy. It took them a week to realize they wanted square and not Venmo. I wouldn’t be so quick to give in.

No, it makes sense. Because the company in question isn't her personal company but rather a company she works with/for, she had to reach them to find out if they received the money. It took a while since it was over the weekend and there was some back and forth.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 12:30 pm
seeker wrote:
For starters, they should reach out to the person/company who accepted your payment, explain what happened, and see if they will give the money back.

I tried to do that myself, but it's only an email address. As I said, it's very weird, since it is the email address of the company, but their account is not under that information. I'm wondering why there is a different Venmo account with their email address, registered to the same name, that is not theirs.

number

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:06 pm
Yikes. Sorry op. You might be better off cutting your losses and finding someone else to use. I feel pretty certain you’re in the right but it sounds like she’s going to give you a real headache about it.
In the future I’d recommend avoiding Venmo. I have used it for this sort of situation but it’s a definite risk. That’s just not what it’s meant for.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:11 pm
So where is the money now? The company has it? And they are just keeping money that isn't theirs? I think she needs to take it up with them and it's not your issue at this point.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I tried to do that myself, but it's only an email address. As I said, it's very weird, since it is the email address of the company, but their account is not under that information. I'm wondering why there is a different Venmo account with their email address, registered to the same name, that is not theirs.

This is very suspicious as most companies verify the email address so the account must belong to them

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
So where is the money now? The company has it? And they are just keeping money that isn't theirs? I think she needs to take it up with them and it's not your issue at this point.

The company says that it's not their Venmo account, so someone else clearly has the money.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
This is very suspicious as most companies verify the email address so the account must belong to them

I agree. Either way, let's see what the service provider says at this point.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:14 pm
number wrote:
Yikes. Sorry op. You might be better off cutting your losses and finding someone else to use. I feel pretty certain you’re in the right but it sounds like she’s going to give you a real headache about it.
In the future I’d recommend avoiding Venmo. I have used it for this sort of situation but it’s a definite risk. That’s just not what it’s meant for.

She's giving me a headache because she thinks I'm the one who made the mistake. She hasn't asked me to pay again (yet). This is someone I've used many times over the past few years and was planning on using again. I feel bad... just irritated because I was afraid this would happen.

number

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She's giving me a headache because she thinks I'm the one who made the mistake. She hasn't asked me to pay again (yet). This is someone I've used many times over the past few years and was planning on using again. I feel bad... just irritated because I was afraid this would happen.
Yes it’s not a great choice on her part. Even if she’s in the right she should think about if it’s worth losing your business over a hundred dollars. Obviously not everyone thinks that way though. It should be a kapparah Hug
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions