Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I got a call from dept of labor
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:23 pm
The department of labor. They need me to give very specific details regarding me leaving a job why I left during Corona. They have the info because I filed for unemployment when I wasn't working and they said they need the info or else I have to pay back the state.
Did anyone have this?

Mashy123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:24 pm
did you just file now? or an old claim & the request the money back?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:25 pm
Mashy123 wrote:
did you just file now? or an old claim & the request the money back?

No I filed back in March. I took and left the job in june/July

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:34 pm
I'm trying to make sure I understand. You lost your job in March and filed for unemployment. Then you were hired at a different company in June and left that job soon after. Did you file for unemployment again after you left the second job?

Mashy123

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No I filed back in March. I took and left the job in june/July

while you were working did you file for unemployment?

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:38 pm
in March they were overwhelmed with people filing so hey couldn't verify that people were laid off. Now theyre probably playing catch up. OP, which state are you in? And did you file for regular UI or PUA

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:40 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I'm trying to make sure I understand. You lost your job in March and filed for unemployment. Then you were hired at a different company in June and left that job soon after. Did you file for unemployment again after you left the second job?

Yes I filed for unemployment after the second job

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:41 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
in March they were overwhelmed with people filing so hey couldn't verify that people were laid off. Now theyre probably playing catch up. OP, which state are you in? And did you file for regular UI or PUA

In NY and I claimed UI

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I filed for unemployment after the second job

If you left the second job on your own, and you were not fired, then you probably didn't qualify for unemployment. You wouldn't have to pay back the first round from March-June, but you may have to pay back the second round. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.

If you live in NJ I recommend calling LRRC. They can probably help you figure this out.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:49 pm
Many people filed unemployment during Covid but they weren't really eligible for unemployment. They said they're going to slowly verify every case and if someone wasn't eligible they'd have to pay back.

amother
Red

Yes, I know others that have been called.

amother
OP

Notsobusy wrote:
If you left the second job on your own, and you were not fired, then you probably didn't qualify for unemployment. You wouldn't have to pay back the first round from March-June, but you may have to pay back the second round. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.

If you live in NJ I recommend calling LRRC. They can probably help you figure this out.

I quit

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:51 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Many people filed unemployment during Covid but they weren't really eligible for unemployment. They said they're going to slowly verify every case and if someone wasn't eligible they'd have to pay back.

But I was eligible

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But I was eligible

So just answer their questions and if you were eligible you won't have to pay back.
Btw, quitting a job isn't always an eligible excuse to receive unemployment.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I quit

I had a coworker with a similar story. He received unemployment when our company had to close in March. When we reopened he returned to work. A couple of months later he resigned and applied for unemployment but they wouldn't approve him because he resigned. I'm in NJ so the law may be different.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But I was eligible

The employer might be fighting it , if you quit. One of my bosses fought every case where an employee quit and he often won. But in those cases the Dept of Labor never paid any unemployment at all, so there was nothing to pay back.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I quit

Your reason for quitting has to fall within the ambit of "good cause." For example, you usually rely on day camp for childcare during the summer, and camps were not open.

I suggest you use Attorney Google to read up on good cause in your state, and do your best to show it.

Good Luck.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:14 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
So just answer their questions and if you were eligible you won't have to pay back.
Btw, quitting a job isn't always an eligible excuse to receive unemployment.

I told them I didn't like the atmosphere at my job they want details names of people that weren't nice to me I said why is that necessary she said if you don't tell me you will have to pay back the state 3K $$

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I told them I didn't like the atmosphere at my job they want details names of people that weren't nice to me I said why is that necessary she said if you don't tell me you will have to pay back the state 3K $$
because good cause would be workplace harassment .

tweety1

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:29 pm
Just make sure it was a legit phone call. Many scammers out there and they get you by calling.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics