Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O do you like ticket to ride game? Which game similar?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 5:51 pm
do you like ticket to ride game? which one, the original or europe or a different one? which other game is it most similar to and whats the object of the game?

Scotty

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:12 pm
Not a veteran TTR player - just a newbie - but I think you are better off starting with the main gameboard first as opposed to expansion packs. (NOTE - Black Friday sales have it at $25 instead of $50!!! Take advantage - I wish I would have waited!!!)

It's fun. Not the best game I have ever played but definitely in top ten for

1. engagement (my own interest value)
2. multiple ways of playing/winning (again, more interest) and reversals
3. it's pretty close to a family game (ie, kids need to be 10+ or so, but you can still play with a lot of kids and adults)
4. Not too many small pieces (in comparison to Risk, say) to lose
5. Pretty!

We weren't sure if we wanted to splurge on it so we watched a Youtube video on how to play it that gave us a better idea of what would go on in the game. (I hate reading manuals). that helped us decide if it was a good game for our family.

If it's $25 Black Friday sale, watch the video and buy it!
If it's $50 borrow it first or play it by a neighbor's before you take the plunge.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:49 pm
Can it be played by two people?

sallysaucer

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:52 pm
BEST. GAME. EVER.

We have the USA, Europe, and rails & sails version.

I would recommend starting bout with the usa version, as it's the simplest.

I'm not really sure what it's like, but the instructions are very accessible on their website, so that will give you an idea.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can it be played by two people?

Yes, we do it all the time. We have also had our kids play it with ten, using teams of two.

I agree to start with the main game. You can add Europe later on- it's two games in one, because the board has two sides. But it's an add in, and you nees the main game with all its supplies to play it. And it has slightly different add in rules.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:09 pm
Great game!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:12 pm
We got it a few months ago (in middle of corona) and my kids play with it all the time! they just dont get bored of it!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:13 pm
Is there a point to owning more than one? Isn't it the same game? I don't think I would play it twice as often if I have the US in addition to Europe.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:13 pm
is ticket to ride first journey the first one or for little kis?

sallysaucer

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
is ticket to ride first journey the first one or for little kis?

It's the little kids version.

sallysaucer

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:43 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Is there a point to owning more than one? Isn't it the same game? I don't think I would play it twice as often if I have the US in addition to Europe.

The us edition is simpler than the Europe one. It's a different map, and doesn't have the "stations". That's the main difference.

That said, we alternate between versions so it doesn't get boring. We play almost every shabbos.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:53 am
My 6yo can play. We just have to help him find his routes. My niece started playing when she was 4 or so. She just put trains where she wanted, not according to cards.
It depends on the kid, but it can be understood by younger kids. Often they don’t have patience to finish a game until they are a bit older.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:59 am
Is this game more for kids or adults?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this game more for kids or adults?
I'm thinking of getting it. Is it a game that adults enjoy or more for kids? Also is it similar to settlers of Catan? How long does a game usually last?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:24 pm
Those asking for an age range, what I love about it is that it seems to have equal appeal for many ages. My DD needed help playing when she was 7 but enjoyed it with help. Now at 8 she is more independent but sometimes needs advice. Older DD played for the first time when she was 8, we bought it for her 9th birthday, and she rocked it from the start.

Definitely the regular US game is the way to start. I would only go for more if you get actually bored of it (could take a while especially if you play other things too and don't just play this one three times every Shabbos...)

One thing I wish they had was expansion packs of just new destination cards. I would want to keep the same board but change it up with different destinations because after you've played enough times you pretty much have the strategies down pat for any combination of places. And you can often tell what your opponent is heading for, which could skew the game. And there are some places that aren't used at all in the first set of destinations. So if they don't sell such a thing, we've been thinking of making our own set.

I would not consider it similar to Settlers of Catan, but it can be a bit of a gateway game for people who are heading that way, in that it's more complex than a regular "move ahead on the path" type of board game - there are different ways to earn/lose points, you may need to shift your strategy as you go ahead, a bit of luck with what "resources" you get. It's definitely simpler than Catan (there's only one basic thing to collect and build: trains) and I find it brings out a lot less fire in the fiery ones among us.

Plan on at least 30 minutes for play. Goes quicker with older/more experienced players, slower with learners/more players.

Definitely can be played with 2 players, which is a big advantage imo.

I don't know any other games that can really compare as being similar. We really, really like this one. We like Catan too but like I said, it gets too heated, someone usually ends up in tears, there are a lot more variables, and it tends to take longer (especially if you need to keep playing until everyone reaches 10 points because some of the players were really introduced to this before they were ready... just me? OK then.)

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm thinking of getting it. Is it a game that adults enjoy or more for kids? Also is it similar to settlers of Catan? How long does a game usually last?

It's great for kids and adult and both together. It says for 8+ and I would say that's pretty accurate to play properly with some thought but younger kids can play with assistance. I think it's a much easier game to learn than Settlers and doesn't require as much strategy so if it's mostly for kids I'd get Ticket to Ride first. With Settlers I find the adults almost always win, with Ticket to Ride it's a bit more balanced. It also takes 30 minutes+, not as time consuming as Settlers.

sallysaucer

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:10 pm
seeker wrote:
Those asking for an age range, what I love about it is that it seems to have equal appeal for many ages. My DD needed help playing when she was 7 but enjoyed it with help. Now at 8 she is more independent but sometimes needs advice. Older DD played for the first time when she was 8, we bought it for her 9th birthday, and she rocked it from the start.

Definitely the regular US game is the way to start. I would only go for more if you get actually bored of it (could take a while especially if you play other things too and don't just play this one three times every Shabbos...)

One thing I wish they had was expansion packs of just new destination cards. I would want to keep the same board but change it up with different destinations because after you've played enough times you pretty much have the strategies down pat for any combination of places. And you can often tell what your opponent is heading for, which could skew the game. And there are some places that aren't used at all in the first set of destinations. So if they don't sell such a thing, we've been thinking of making our own set.

I would not consider it similar to Settlers of Catan, but it can be a bit of a gateway game for people who are heading that way, in that it's more complex than a regular "move ahead on the path" type of board game - there are different ways to earn/lose points, you may need to shift your strategy as you go ahead, a bit of luck with what "resources" you get. It's definitely simpler than Catan (there's only one basic thing to collect and build: trains) and I find it brings out a lot less fire in the fiery ones among us.

Plan on at least 30 minutes for play. Goes quicker with older/more experienced players, slower with learners/more players.

Definitely can be played with 2 players, which is a big advantage imo.

I don't know any other games that can really compare as being similar. We really, really like this one. We like Catan too but like I said, it gets too heated, someone usually ends up in tears, there are a lot more variables, and it tends to take longer (especially if you need to keep playing until everyone reaches 10 points because some of the players were really introduced to this before they were ready... just me? OK then.)

There are expansions for both the usa and europe version. I was happy that I got them both.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:30 pm
Hey, I didn't know about the expansions! Guess what just went to the top of my wish list. Going to see if it goes on sale at all, camelcamelcamel seems to indicate that the price varies. I really wasn't planning on buying ANY toys or games for a while, we are quite full of them, but this seems like an excellent way to add value to a game we already have and love.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:14 pm
bababebe wrote:
There are expansions for both the usa and europe version. I was happy that I got them both.

You have this one? Is it kid friendly. I wonder why it's not well known and it doesn't seem to be sold in many places.
https://www.amazon.com/Ticket-.....8FYAS

sallysaucer

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:32 pm
mommyhood wrote:
You have this one? Is it kid friendly. I wonder why it's not well known and it doesn't seem to be sold in many places.
https://www.amazon.com/Ticket-.....8FYAS

It's just more destination cards, some longer and some shorter. It mixes it up a bit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics