Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Are doctors allowed to accept gifts?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:51 pm
I am using a fertility doctor right now who is very caring and accommodating. The entire staff (doctors, nurses, secretary) in the office has been exceptional with me. Is it ok to bring in something like a box of chocolate with a card for all the staff for the holiday?

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:54 pm
AFAIK it's not a problem, unless the office has a policy against it. My mother has done it plenty of times in hospitals, and I've seen it done by others too.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:54 pm
Yes. It doesn’t necessarily have to be for Xmas.
It’s very kind of you and appreciated by staff.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:13 pm
Yes, it's definitely allowed, definitely appreciated, and definitely done.

- A doctor

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:16 pm
If it is edible and to be shared by the entire staff it is definitely OK
-the Homecare RD who said that cash or valuable gifts to a therapist can be an issue.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:23 am
Also a doctor. In med school we were told not ok to accept valuable gifts. Edible things, small gifts ok. I've had patients gift me eggs from backyard chickens, spices from India, loose tea from China, homemade kefir, garden bounty, books. Lots of holiday cards. One time a J for J book (vomit).

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
One time a J for J book (vomit).

Surprised

That’s incredibly insulting! And inappropriate!

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 1:23 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Yes, it's definitely allowed, definitely appreciated, and definitely done.

- A doctor

What kind of gifts are mostly appreciated?

(racking my brain here for our most amazing ped onc & ID)

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:23 am
I'm a nurse in Israel, we can't accept cash (that would be wrird anyway) but food and a nice note is really appreciated.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:26 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:

It's the thank you note that really makes us feel good. 99% of the gifts we get are edible

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:30 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:

It's great to write a thank you note where you name the staff member(s) who you really liked and say what they did that was so great, and then give chocolates or cake for the entire staff. Then everyone comes in to eat the cake and sees the note saying "doctor Weinstein has such a special way with kids!" and that will make doctor Weinstein very happy

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:47 am
Chocolate or cakes are always acceptable. When I worked in a fertility unit people often brought us a cake when they 'graduated' from our care to the regular pregnancy care at the other end of the corridor. (Or after the baby was born, when they came back to show us.) All the staff knew to come to the fertility unit if they wanted something to eat. Once someone brought us boxes of mint, rosemary, parsley, and all kinds of herbs. Most of them went towards the communal salad at lunch, but we all took home what we wanted.

Personal gifts are ok if they are something minor. Expensive gifts are not really acceptable. Gift cards would feel it little too much like giving money, and would not be a comfortable gift.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:23 am
I brought some kosher vegan chocolate arrangement for my doctor and wrote a thank you card on my first visit in the ninth month. Even if he won't be the doctor on call when I go in, I still wanted to thank him for being great throughout the pregnancy.
I'm debating getting a bottle of scotch for the doctor who actually delivered. I did not have a good experience.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:27 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I brought some kosher vegan chocolate arrangement for my doctor and wrote a thank you card on my first visit in the ninth month. Even if he won't be the doctor on call when I go in, I still wanted to thank him for being great throughout the pregnancy.
I'm debating getting a bottle of scotch for the doctor who actually delivered. I did not have a good experience.

A bottle of scotch would be over the top in any circumstance. If you didn't have a good experience, don't give anything.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:29 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Regardless of your experience, I wouldn't reccomend giving a bottle of Scotch. That a bit more expensive than normally acceptable gifts, and not something he can share with the other staff.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:24 am
Thanks Elfrida and Mint.
I figured the chocolate platter cost around $60 and the scotch would be like $85 so not that much more for a doctor who has to stay endless hours in the hospital with you. Ok thank you, guess I won't bring anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics