Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How would things change if clothing and beauty didn't exist?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:47 pm
This question is a bit out there so please forgive me. Imagine you wake up tomorrow to find that all the clothing, beauty products, and adornments have disappeared from the world, never to be remade. Instead of applying makeup in the morning, billions of women to out into the world baring the face they woke up with no matter the situation. Instead of putting together outfits for the day, we live our lives in bare feet and unclothed bodies, lacking jewelry or hair products as well. Aside from having to deal with cold weather (just pretend everyone adapts to this), how would society change? How would the Jewish community react to these changes, and how would you deal with them personally?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:54 pm
I have questions.

Would tznius still exist?

Would people have body image issues?

Because aside from these two things, I would absolutely love it.

MaddieC

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:56 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I have questions.

Would tznius still exist?

Would people have body image issues?

Because aside from these two things, I would absolutely love it.

Tznius would probably not exist anymore if this situation was a reality

Body image issues would probably still exist, although they would change because people would be exposed to more bodies.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:03 pm
Um, other than burkas vs naked I think this exists in certain cultures.
I’ll stick to regular please. The world would be very boring if all humans looked like another type of animal. NO THANKS!

MaddieC

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:12 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Um, other than burkas vs naked I think this exists in certain cultures.
I’ll stick to regular please. The world would be very boring if all humans looked like another type of animal. NO THANKS!

I would hate this too, but how do you think society would react if this happened?

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:14 pm
MaddieC wrote:
I would hate this too, but how do you think society would react if this happened?

I’m not great with theoretical questions.
How would society react if we all grew a 4 foot horn on our heads overnight?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:19 pm
I think humans would find a way. It's in our nature to adorn ourselves. Archaeologists often dig up face paint or jewelry. Even without mirrors or fashion magazines or instagram, humans want to make themselves stand out.

MaddieC

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I think humans would find a way. It's in our nature to adorn ourselves. Archaeologists often dig up face paint or jewelry. Even without mirrors or fashion magazines or instagram, humans want to make themselves stand out.

They probably would but in different and less noticeable ways, like pinching cheeks to make them look more flushed or buffing unpainted nails.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:08 pm
This is basically what the world was like until Adam and Chava ate from the eitz ha'daas.

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:20 pm
It sounds very peaceful and comfortable.

I often wish society did not require clothes. Our honest bodies are enough.

I do take pleasure in dress-up, of course. I love looking lovely, or neat. But I think we would be rather better, more true and honest, if we left it behind

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:

I agree. We'd start fetishizing certain physical features (long legs, pointy chins, anything), or paint our ankles purple, or adopt weird hairstyles, etc.

We don't eve need such extreme examples. Look what happens when we force kids to wear school uniforms. Clothes become a non-issue, but then it becomes important which hair accessories your wear, what backpack you choose, how you part your hair, etc.

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:00 am
I already live like this (almost).

I wear comfortable clothes for warmth or modesty. No makeup.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:27 am
How bout masks?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This question is a bit out there so please forgive me. Imagine you wake up tomorrow to find that all the clothing, beauty products, and adornments have disappeared from the world, never to be remade. Instead of applying makeup in the morning, billions of women to out into the world baring the face they woke up with no matter the situation. Instead of putting together outfits for the day, we live our lives in bare feet and unclothed bodies, lacking jewelry or hair products as well. Aside from having to deal with cold weather (just pretend everyone adapts to this), how would society change? How would the Jewish community react to these changes, and how would you deal with them personally?
So OP, you should know that there are many women who never put on make up or jewelry. Clothing is a different story. But I joke sometimes with my husband that getting ready to walk out the door would be so much easier if we didnt have to pick clothing. Smile

If people had to walk around naked the jewish community would be up in arms as that would have tzniut thrown out the window. But the other two things, make up and jjewelry, thats not really a jewish thing. Its a personal thing, so not really sure how that would have any effect on the jewish community.

behappy2

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:13 am
There are ppl that live like this and they adorn themselves with punching a hole in their bottom lip and putting a large round piece of wood (if I remember correctly)

Zehava

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

As long as human nature remains what it is we will find other status symbols to compete over

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:19 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
This is basically what the world was like until Adam and Chava ate from the eitz ha'daas.

Yeah, but before they ate from the eitz hada'as they had a very different approach to the human body.
It's hard to conceptualize OP's question. Because we are post-eitz hada'as what would happen is, people would find ways to cover up. Whether because we value tznius, we know that we can't process the body the way it's supposed to be, or shame, whatever motives people would have, it would happen, quickly.

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:20 am
DrMom wrote:
I agree. We'd start fetishizing certain physical features (long legs, pointy chins, anything), or paint our ankles purple, or adopt weird hairstyles, etc.

We don't eve need such extreme examples. Look what happens when we force kids to wear school uniforms. Clothes become a non-issue, but then it becomes important which hair accessories your wear, what backpack you choose, how you part your hair, etc.

But what if we abandoned any such desires at all? How freeing to consider things only from a functional perspective!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

If people had to walk around naked the jewish community would be up in arms as that would have tzniut thrown out the window. But the other two things, make up and jjewelry, thats not really a jewish thing. Its a personal thing, so not really sure how that would have any effect on the jewish community.

Make up and jewelry are not a Jewish thing, but they are very much emphasized in certain communities. To generalize, those are also the communities where one has to 'put together an outfit' every day, rather than just choose what to wear. It would be logical that people in those communities would find it harder to adapt to such a situation, because it is a more important part of their life.

Really though, I think everyone would struggle. Clothing, make up and beuaty aids in various forms have been part of humanity since earliest history. (Even Hashem braided Chava's hair to make her look beautiful before presenting her to Adam.) When something that is an intrinsic part of our nature is taken away from us, people cope because there is no choice, but they struggle, and invent something to fill the void. Recently we have had our intrinsic need for social interaction severely curtailed, and everyone has come up with various alternatives, with varying levels of sucess. Something similar would happen in this hypothetical situation.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:31 am
Can we at least wear underwear?

I don't want to share seats with other butts.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics