Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I got a call from dept of labor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:11 pm
I hear

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Why not just make it out like a COVID issue, were there masks and social distancing? If not say that you did not feel safe in that environment.

I already said to her that It wasn't a friendly environment...

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Why not just make it out like a COVID issue, were there masks and social distancing? If not say that you did not feel safe in that environment.

OP seems very makpid on halacha. This would seem to be lying, which is certainly asur.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
OP seems very makpid on halacha. This would seem to be lying, which is certainly asur.

I try

If I have to give back money to the government I will
But I don't want to get in trouble with the law

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I try

I never used to be this way. But I guess people change ..

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I try

Op, respectfully, you don't seem to want to be forthcoming. You're going to need to be chattier if you want them to work with you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Op, respectfully, you don't seem to want to be forthcoming. You're going to need to be chattier if you want them to work with you.

Navy, respectively, would you moiser in this situation

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
During covid if you lost your job then you were able to file for unemployment. If you were looking for a job and actively seeking you were eligible. So I was until I was hired and then after I quit with good reason I was looking for a job again. Your saying that the second time I was filing for unemployment I was not eligible?

Correct.
Unless you can prove and be willing to fight the employer on a case of a discriminatory (known legally as hostile) work environment.
The unemployment in such a case is not just given. Usually the employer fights the unemployment, then a hearing is held in court, and with hard work, the employee is then awarded unemployment benefits (payments)

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If I were treated poorly enough to quit a job in a pandemic I would ABSOLUTELY tell my side of the story.

You realize your old employer is likely fighting your unemployment claim and that's why this is happening? You have to stand up for yourself if you believe you deserve the money you were paid. Please trust me when I tell you that if you don't you will lose. (And you may not win because the law is against you, I don't know, but I don't believe you are doing yourself any favors by being so mum. We practically had to pull the story out of you and you came to us for advice!)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Correct.
Unless you can prove and be willing to fight the employer on a case of a discriminatory (known legally as hostile) work environment.
The unemployment in such a case is not just given. Usually the employer fights the unemployment, then a hearing is held in court, and with hard work, the employee is then awarded unemployment benefits (payments)

Don't want to go that far and take another jew to court

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:51 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
If I were treated poorly enough to quit a job in a pandemic I would ABSOLUTELY tell my side of the story.

You realize your old employer is likely fighting your unemployment claim and that's why this is happening? You have to stand up for yourself if you believe you deserve the money you were paid. Please trust me when I tell you that if you don't you will lose. (And you may not win because the law is against you, I don't know, but I don't believe you are doing yourself any favors by being so mum. We practically had to pull the story out of you and you came to us for advice!)

Hiding

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:01 am
OP, I think mesirah is when you would get the other person in trouble with the law. Here you would just be disputing their claim. At the very least ask a Rav.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 12:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already said to her that It wasn't a friendly environment...

That's nowhere near enough. You were there to work, not make friends.

Here are some examples of what they're looking for.

https://www.eeoc.gov/harassment

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP, with all due respect, please speak to the pros!

Speak to a rav asap who is a bucky is mesira. Many people have paskined that mesira is not possible in the US today and it only applies to unfriendly governments (Russia back in the 80s or Germany, etc). It is entirely possible that mesira does not apply in your situation. You HAVE TO ASK a competent rav and you are on a deadline so do it asap (ie not just any rav in this case). Explain your situation in detail, don’t exaggerate or leave anything out.

And again, you have to speak to a professional in the area of unemployment law. Do that today as well.

In my non expert opinion, I do not believe this would be mesira and in my non expert opinion, I do not believe you qualified for unemployment after quitting your job. But my opinion means nothing. You have to go to the pros.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:04 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

It doesn't sound like she was treated that badly. It sounds like she didnt like the job and they weren't so nice and she didn't stay because she thought she could get unemployment. I doubt she would have quit as quickly otherwise.

But like you said, she didnt tell us how it was, so we have no way to help her decide. She needs an expert and a rav.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:02 am
thunderstorm wrote:
The employer might be fighting it , if you quit. One of my bosses fought every case where an employee quit and he often won. But in those cases the Dept of Labor never paid any unemployment at all, so there was nothing to pay back.

There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion about unemployment. I almost wonder if people think it's similar to other government benefits. People have no idea the money comes from their former employer's unemployment insurance package, and employers fight it if they can. Can you blame them?

There is even more confusion, misinformation, and misunderstanding now because the COVID relief made it possible for more people to qualify who would not have prior to the pandemic.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't think it's moiser. Please ask a Rav instead of deciding yourself that it's moiser.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:34 am
I will call a rav

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:48 am
Lol I’m still stuck on the fact that people got 10k in between jobs during these 8 months.

I must be doing something wrong!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:51 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Lol I’m still stuck on the fact that people got 10k in between jobs during these 8 months.

I must be doing something wrong!

me too?!
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics