Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Teenager needs surgery

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 3:57 pm
We just found out most likely our 16 year old will need serious surgery in the next few months. I am trying to think of what I should buy or prepare for him to be most comfortable in the hospital and once he’s home recovering, and also to entertain him. Any ideas? Besides comfy pjs and slippers, I’m not coming up with much. Sad

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:02 pm
Something that will help time pass?
Books, games, stuff to watch?
Refuah sheleima! May it go well and he should have an easy recovery !

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:08 pm
Any games you’d recommend that can be played in bed that would be fun for kid this age?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:14 pm
Depends what he likes and what movements will hurt. If he's playing with someone else, he can play cards. Two or three other people allow Taboo and Codenames.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 4:15 pm
All single player games like rush hour, kanoodle. Mp3 with good headphones and selection of music, plays, tora tapes. Dvd player and plays, concerts. Books. Nintendo or Gameboy.

Not sure what your limitations are and which neighborhood you live. If you would be a bit more specific, we can fine-tune the suggestions

shanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 6:57 pm
Maybe a hobby he can get into at this time...

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:09 pm
What kind of surgery? Don't have to be specific, but for example, if it's some sort of abdominal surgery, certain things are particularly useful for that, back surgery would have other things that you'd want etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:12 pm
Thanks. Prob looking at heart surgery 😥

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:19 pm
Do you allow games on devices?
Honestly the best thing to get him is an ipad.
He should prepare and download a bunch of games that you should approve. You can get Netflix or download Jewish videos.
You can use it for FaceTime with family because visitors will likely be restricted because of covid. And he can use it constantly for various forms of entertainment and communication.
It was the best thing for my friends son that needed surgery. It really made his recovery more pleasant.

I highly recommend an ipad.

flower2

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:41 pm
Large puzzle

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:45 pm
good fuzzy blanket

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:17 pm
If this helps my very young husband had open heart surgery and BH after 10 days he really was much better.
The first 3 days after surgery were intolerable pain so make sure he has someone with him the whole time that will advocate for him.

Mp3 headphones, light shiurim, magazines, dvds etc can help him relax and pass the time.
Hatzlacha and refua shelaima!!!!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:25 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
If this helps my very young husband had open heart surgery and BH after 10 days he really was much better.
The first 3 days after surgery were intolerable pain so make sure he has someone with him the whole time that will advocate for him.

Mp3 headphones, light shiurim, magazines, dvds etc can help him relax and pass the time.
Hatzlacha and refua shelaima!!!!

Does your husband have a congenital heart defect ? Can you tell me what it is ? I’m
Asking because I have a child with CHD

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:35 pm
No. Was a one time heart issue.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:51 pm
You should contact yametz libechu. They're an amazing organization that deal with this all day long. They are very familiar with the top doctors all over the us

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:35 am
My son had heart surgery when he was a little older than your son. One thing I got him was dark, solid lounge pants or pj bottoms. This was for when he wanted to look a little more dressed but still be comfortable, for example, when he had visitors. He wasnt allowed to lean over so loose, easy to put on clothing was important.
I also bought him a pillow that allowed him to be propped up, he most comfortable semi reclined and this pillow was a bit firmer than a standard one and was adjustable. I can try to find the link if you want.
He also asked me to get him round neck undershirts instead of the v-neck ones he usually wore b/c he didnt want the scar to show when it was still very red. Once it faded, he went back to the v necks.
Everything should go well.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:38 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
You should contact yametz libechu. They're an amazing organization that deal with this all day long. They are very familiar with the top doctors all over the us

I have a nephew who had heart surgery as a young child. They were very helpful and supportive.

Is your son artsy? Would he do something like diamond painting?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:01 am
Painting, drawing, quilling, puzzle games like IQ Fit, 3D puzzles - wood or metal, woodburning, balloon-sculpting, magic tricks, learning a new language, musical instrument - kalimba, ukulele, (kazoo).
Monopoly Deal - card game for 2-5 players -
simple, but doesn't get boring for a long time.
Refuah Sheleimah.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:05 am
Since a lot of schools are now more equipped with zoom and different conference systems can he call into his classes from bed? If he can keep up with school work while he recovers it might keep him from getting super bored and he will feel like hes still a part of things at school.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 9:48 am
Rent a hospital bed for a month, Yad Sarah has them for very little money, mainly just a deposit.

When I had major abdominal surgery, my grandmother rented one for me, and it made all the difference in the world. I had it set up in the living room, because it was right next to the bathroom. (My bedroom was up a steep flight of stairs.)

I had a friend who was a registered nurse, and she slept on the sofa next to me for the first week. That was an amazing gift.

Another friend visited me daily, and brought me crossword puzzles, books, and small models that could easily be put together without glue. She'd sit and chat with me for a bit, but basically I slept a lot. The pain meds really made me groggy, and I needed lots of rest. I don't recall ever being bored.

If your son has any friends who have already had Corona, have them tested for antibodies. Then they'll be clear to come visit for short periods of time. Of course, follow maximum safety precautions just to be extra careful.

He should have a refuah sheleimah, and excellent health to 120.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics