Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shop local campaign: why are stores like this???
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:10 pm
My kids need new linen and I saw a cute set on pottery barn but I decided I'd rather go to the local linen store. I was looking at some sets I liked and was almost ready to buy a set when the saleslady came over to me and says "these aren't for you, let me show you the cheap sets." I asked her if they do throw pillows to any set, she says "we do but they're very expensive. Come let me show you which sets are for you."
I was so disgusted by her that I walked out. I was ready to spend $600 there but apparently she decided I'm poor and can only afford $89 linen sets.
Why oh why do I bother shopping local?? Yes, I know most stores are nice. But unfortunately, many aren't. I think that now that the stores are begging people to shop local, they shouldn't be pushing people away.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:14 pm
Does she know you? What was she even basing her assumption on? That is so strange!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:15 pm
This sounds to bizarre to be true. I really can’t imagine such a thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:17 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Does she know you? What was she even basing her assumption on? That is so strange!

I don't know her and I can't imagine she knows me.
I guess she missed my $750 handbag when she decided I can't afford their linen.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:18 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Unfortunately some stores in my community are known for literally sending people away because they don't look rich enough to shop there.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:18 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

A very similar story happened to me, but it was in a (heimish) furniture store. I only went to the heimish place in the first place because I needed a bunkbed that would fit into a small space and a few friends recommended a few places in a specific neighborhood.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:22 pm
I believe that big time.
Same thing happebed to me
Cuz I wasn't "dressed" up to par

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:22 pm
I had a similar experience at a wig place.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:23 pm
I am not a fancy woman but bh have the means to spend on shopping. I once went into a children's wear store while they had a sale, there was a stretchie on the floor, I barely made it to the rack when the owner or saleslady loudly scolded me for throwing things down. I walked out and haven't gone back there in 20 years. My children and grandchildren get beautiful clothing elsewhere. I definitely believe OP's story.

little neshamala

Yuck

Malkqueen

Unfortunately I can say this happened to me too. The sales lady at a linen store gave me the "elevator look" then redirected me to a cheaper set. Her concern for my finances didn't bother me as much as my concern whether my coat was pimpling to effect such a response.

giselle

mommy3b2c wrote:
It does sound too bizarre to be true, but I know people this has happened to.. Growing up, I had a friend who was very wealthy but lived very simply. She told me that when her mom walked into upscale Jewish clothing stores to shop for her sheva brachos, she received similar treatment to the OP.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I had a similar experience at a wig place.

Lol so did I!! She would not even let me try on the ones I wanted to see! And at the time I had yerusha from my mother burning a hole in my pocket.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:26 pm
sadly, many local stores will also push/pressure you to buy more than your budget which also makes for an unpleasant experience.
these are the reasons I think twice before going to local stores.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:27 pm
My mother has a friend who dresses very colorful bohemian. her clothes are a fortune. But to your average frum person they look like second hand thrift store clothing.
They went shopping in a high end frum linen store. They kept insisting on showing her the cheap polyester tablecloths. She had to insist on seeing the better stuff. She walked out spendind over 2k on tablecloths...
I’ve had this happen to me too

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:32 pm
They're like this because the saleslady wants you to respond with "How dare you! I can afford to buy this whole store!" and try to prove yourself by spending big bucks, earning her a huge commission. (Though it can backfire, because some customers don't fall for it and would rather go to a different store, spend big there, and come back to show the saleslady the bags and receipts.)

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:33 pm
I had my share with local stores too. like ie being harassed in a hosiery store for getting the feel on an item and putting it back. I ended up buying it although it did not meet my requirements because the guy was literally yelling at me.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:34 pm
I hear.
I have had similar experiences as well.
I still think it’s an important message.
So many people in the community are struggling with parnassa, especially during these difficult times.

A little off-topic perhaps, but I wish the campaign would be more broad to include supporting all locally-owned businesses, frum professionals and service providers.

My husband works in a field which has a lot of online competition.
And it’s baffling why frum people, even friends and acquaintances, prefer to purchase online even if my husband can match the online prices, or if his price is a bit more expensive but he can offer service and advice which you can’t get online.
So many potential customers will only give my husband the business if he can “beat the internet prices”.
(He can’t as he works with very low profit margins).

It’s as though people have a strange aversion to support and help frum people earn parnassa.

(Sorry OP for going off on a tangent).

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
They're like this because the saleslady wants you to respond with "How dare you! I can afford to buy this whole store!" and try to prove yourself by spending big bucks, earning her a huge commission. (Though it can backfire, because some customers don't fall for it and would rather go to a different store, spend big there, and come back to show the saleslady the bags and receipts.)

if this is an actual sales technique than shame on them and they don't deserve the business. intentional reverse psychology on a customer is not okay.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:36 pm
Sadly, I think we’ve all had a similar experience.

But to be honest, I’d had my share of intimidation in dept stores as well.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics