Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shop local campaign: why are stores like this???
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:38 pm
Had similar experience when I went to. Buy my cartier watch at a jewelry store on 13th ave. I proceeded to spend my money on 47th street where I was treated more respectfully

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:50 pm
Had a somewhat similar experience in a store that I guess caters to a specific clientele and doesn’t get many customers outside of that clientele. When I walked in, a salesperson told me she didn’t think they had anything I was looking for. So yea I walked right on out Very Happy

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:53 pm
Someone I know takes their family to Israel for sukkos every year. (Very very wealthy people) She walked in to an upscale clothing store before Yom Tov and asked to see the summer stuff (as she needed Yom Tov stuff for her girls but Israel sukkos time is HOT!) sales lady literally snubbed her. She walked right out. She can afford the entire store without it making a dent in her pocket.)

syrima

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:55 pm
Maybe some salespeople need to understand that the millionaire next door is not always going to walk in looking the part.
Also some of us leave the shtetl to make a living and go places on public transportation where it would be the height of stupidity to traipse around in fur and diamonds.
And then some of us are not rich but making a simcha and are spending anyway.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids need new linen and I saw a cute set on pottery barn but I decided I'd rather go to the local linen store. I was looking at some sets I liked and was almost ready to buy a set when the saleslady came over to me and says "these aren't for you, let me show you the cheap sets." I asked her if they do throw pillows to any set, she says "we do but they're very expensive. Come let me show you which sets are for you."
I was so disgusted by her that I walked out. I was ready to spend $600 there but apparently she decided I'm poor and can only afford $89 linen sets.
Why oh why do I bother shopping local?? Yes, I know most stores are nice. But unfortunately, many aren't. I think that now that the stores are begging people to shop local, they shouldn't be pushing people away.

This happens where I live too. I cant think of even three stores in my community, which is FULL of every kind of store one can want, that gives u decent treatment. In many stores you are just a nuisance. Whats odd is that even their non jewish workers have already absorbed this attitude.
Due to this and the absolutely nonexistent return policy, I am forced to take my business elsewhere; As much as I would love to support my fellow brethren!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:01 pm
Sizing up customers - often wrongly - isn't limited to frum stores as it also occurs in boutiques everywhere and sometimes but not all the time in the most upscale department stores.

Generally they just avoid helping you and make you feel like you are completely unwanted. Direct insults in terms of buying power generally don't happen although I have had some friends tell me that they were told there was nothing that would fit them - and these were relatively normal sized women,

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:26 pm
Remember when it happened to Oprah?

https://www.npr.org/sections/c.....ndbag

Next time, look the sales person directly in the eye and say "do you work on commission?" When she says she does, say "good. My budget for today was $600, and if I liked the product, and was happy with the sales help, I would have been back for more. But my commission and I will be going elsewhere."

I don't shop in stores that would snub me, and have no clue what would make linens worth that much money.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:29 pm
I doubt these saleswomen work on commissions, and they themselves are not wealthy.
Which begs the question as to why they treat customers this way.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I doubt these saleswomen work on commissions, and they themselves are not wealthy.
Which begs the question as to why they treat customers this way.

And I wonder if the boss knows that salespeople are literally turning away costumers.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:35 pm
OP sorry you went through that!!

These things start from the top. Employees act this way when they've seen it over and over from their employers. When their employers push them to "stop wasting" time with those who they don't think will drop big bucks (and they're often wrong).

We've all experienced the coldness and snobbery at some point or another. Don't patronize those establishments.

There's this one place locally that has their nose up in the air. Why? I style myself differnt than their clientele. I end up there once a year anyway for a white non see through tee. I stay far away from the employees and go in to get what I want and ignore them (easy as they generally ignore me). If I need another size that I dont see, I try to find a non Jewish stocking employee. Sad. I know.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Remember when it happened to Oprah?

https://www.npr.org/sections/c.....ndbag

Next time, look the sales person directly in the eye and say "do you work on commission?" When she says she does, say "good. My budget for today was $600, and if I liked the product, and was happy with the sales help, I would have been back for more. But my commission and I will be going elsewhere."

I don't shop in stores that would snub me, and have no clue what would make linens worth that much money.

That's the line Julia Roberts used in Pretty Woman.

I don't live in Brooklyn and don't dress the way women there do. Employees at Jewish stores are unable to fathom that I may have at least as much money to spend as their typical customer. I don't need to have someone look me up and down and decide that I'm not good enough to shop in her store.

So as much as I would, in theory, like to help small business owners, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

I realize that this is not universal. I have had some lovely experiences in a silver shop and a seforim store. Women's clothing and linen stores are the worst offenders.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:37 pm
And this is why I don't shop frum stores.
I have had this experience multiple time, at different stores. I unfortunately will instinctively avoid frum stores.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:39 pm
I once walked into a store to buy a simcha dress. I asked to see a specific dress, and the sales person told me it's too expensive for me. I was really mad, and left the store. Little did she know I sent a couple thousand dollars in the next store.

Also, in that specific store, if I go with my mother, I get very good treatment. They know my mother spends money there.... And treat her amazing If I go myself I'm treated like a dirtbag.

I stopped going.

acemom

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 3:54 pm
syrima wrote:
Maybe some salespeople need to understand that the millionaire next door is not always going to walk in looking the part.
Also some of us leave the shtetl to make a living and go places on public transportation where it would be the height of stupidity to traipse around in fur and diamonds.
And then some of us are not rich but making a simcha and are spending anyway.

Exactly!!

penguin

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:02 pm
It would be interesting to see if any store owners are one here and willing to respond.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
They're like this because the saleslady wants you to respond with "How dare you! I can afford to buy this whole store!" and try to prove yourself by spending big bucks, earning her a huge commission. (Though it can backfire, because some customers don't fall for it and would rather go to a different store, spend big there, and come back to show the saleslady the bags and receipts.)

reminds me from the scene in "pretty woman" with julia roberts Wink

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I hear.
I have had similar experiences as well.
I still think it’s an important message.
So many people in the community are struggling with parnassa, especially during these difficult times.

A little off-topic perhaps, but I wish the campaign would be more broad to include supporting all locally-owned businesses, frum professionals and service providers.

My husband works in a field which has a lot of online competition.
And it’s baffling why frum people, even friends and acquaintances, prefer to purchase online even if my husband can match the online prices, or if his price is a bit more expensive but he can offer service and advice which you can’t get online.
So many potential customers will only give my husband the business if he can “beat the internet prices”.
(He can’t as he works with very low profit margins).

It’s as though people have a strange aversion to support and help frum people earn parnassa.

(Sorry OP for going off on a tangent).

I’m consciously working on this- realizing that giving a fellow Jew parnassah is important to me. I returned a stroller I got on Amazon and bought it locally I honestly felt like I made the guys day. Same with a key from a locksmith.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:06 pm
penguin wrote:
It would be interesting to see if any store owners are one here and willing to respond.

Sometimes the store owners give these instructions

A friend of mine once worked in a very exclusive women’s dress store that made custom dresses And some of their own designs off the rack. She told me she wore an ear piece and the owner of the store would remotely check the cameras and tell her to refuse to sell to ppl based on their figure or appearances.
It’s still open and popular so I guess it’s working for them ?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Sometimes the store owners give these instructions

A friend of mine once worked in a very exclusive women’s dress store that made custom dresses And some of their own designs off the rack. She told me she wore an ear piece and the owner of the store would remotely check the cameras and tell her to refuse to sell to ppl based on their figure or appearances.
It’s still open and popular so I guess it’s working for them ?

🤮

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unfortunately some stores in my community are known for literally sending people away because they don't look rich enough to shop there.

I’ve heard such stories but it really sounds crazy. The worst I’ve ever had was them pretty much ignore me and just vaguely wave their hands when I asked for help. Usually I just walk out of those stores. They are idiots because when I walk into such a store I’m usually ready to drop $1000+ . Bh most stores come running over to help. But what happened to you just seems really over the top.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics