Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Salt free diet

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:49 pm
any ideas on which spices to use instead of salt? I don't want to use mrs dash. What tricks are there to make tasty salt free food?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:56 am
I have found that the best way to increase flavor without salt is to use acid - vinegar, citrus juice, etc.
Salt is a flavor enhancer, and so is acid, which is why this works.
Also, low and slow cooking of flavorful things like onion and garlic to bring out their natural flavors more can be very helpful.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 2:14 am
Why don’t you want salt?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:47 am
cooking for a relative thats suffering from high blood pressurei

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:40 am
The best way to help blood pressure is to balance minerals (not eliminate salt), do correct exercise and manage stress

eileengray

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:57 am
OP is looking for spices that can be used to replace salt, not to have a debate about the best way to treat high blood pressure.

To actually answer OP's question, Costco has an excellent salt replacement spice mix, I'll post the link below.
https://www.costco.com/kirklan......html

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:20 pm
Best way to lower BP is low carb diet PLUS SALT.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:21 pm
Excellent book that explains it: the salt fix by dr James dinicolantonio

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:26 pm
This is for short term high blood pressure - postpartum pre-eclampsia. Young lady doesn't usually have an issue with hbp. Right now, medications are not controlling enough. Dr suggested eliminate salt

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is for short term high blood pressure - postpartum pre-eclampsia. Young lady doesn't usually have an issue with hbp. Right now, medications are not controlling enough. Dr suggested eliminate salt

Remove carbs. Water will release often brings down pressure fast

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:50 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Best way to lower BP is low carb diet PLUS SALT.

I have much admiration for all your success with weight loss and improving your own personal health. However, without having properly assessed a person, it can be quite detrimental to attempt to provide medical nutrition therapy.
OP asked for advice for reducing sodium, not people's opinions on low sodium diets. You have no idea why they are following such a diet. It could be due to hypertension, hyponatremia, edema, chronic renal failure, or a myriad of more obscure diagnoses.

OP, I would agree with the suggestions provided; acid (vinegar and lemon) and Costco's no-salt seasoning is tastier than Mrs. Dash.

Depending on the severity of that sodium restriction, one may want to soak meat and chicken, to help me move more of the salt from Kashering. Most importantly, fresh is best and read your labels.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:39 pm
Would potassium chloride work?

I know this isn’t what you asked, but eliminating salt is like a bandaid for blood pressure, if it works at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise