Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Pregnant woman and animals - source?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:41 am
Can someone on here please let me know of a reputable source with a good reason for why a pregnant woman shouldn’t own a non-kosher pet?

DH really wants to sell ours now, for this reason, but I am having a hard time with that because not so long ago, every family owned a horse for travel and transport, many had guard dogs etc - and so many people in the modern day world own pets and don’t get rid of them every time they’re pregnant! (For goodness’ sake, Rachel Imeinu practically gave birth on a camel!Wink)

(This is not the Chabad thing about animals - I saw that was the predominant idea that came up on somewhat similar threads)

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:45 am
I thought that a woman was not allowed to look at a nonkosher animal is only a Chabad thing...
My hunch is: It doesn't matter about the pet our bubby's and zeidies back in the Heim couldn't afford a new horse when a pregnancy occurred.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:06 am
I don't know about sources. But you're taking about a live creature that you want to re-home... That's not necessarily the most ethical thing.

I mean... Why get a pet in the first place if you're just going to dump it at the first reason why it's not convenient anymore?

Most pets are with you for a lifetime! Their lifetime. It's a commitment the same way a human child is.

How can you guarantee that they person you will sell to is going to give as good a home as you?

Plus you have a very valid point about how animals used to be a given... Horses for transport etc

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:28 am
Ask your husband and rabbi to give you sources.

IMHO, it's a bunch of nonsense, and your husband just doesn't want to be bothered with a pet and a new baby at the same time.

Watch "Lady and the Tramp" with him.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:33 am
It’s based on superstitions from the Middle Ages. That’s the original source of this. I would never rehome an animal for this reason. It’s abandonment.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:31 am
And here I thought the reason pregnant women shouldn’t visit a zoo was , so the baby doesn’t grow up acting like a “wild animal”. Never heard pregnant women shouldn’t see domesticated animals.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:37 am
We asked a shaila when we visited in Switzerland when I was pregnant and went sightseeing and there were many horses and cows etc.
The Rav said farm animals are not a problem only wild animals like a tiger or a bear etc.
I know that some are not makpid on that either and are just careful not to look at Monkeys.

We do all wild animals.
(We Don’t raise them I mean we , actually I, don’t look at them).

keym

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:34 am
My Rav said that the original source is actually from this week's parsha. That what you look at during ahem conception, will impact what the child looks like.
According to my Rav, don't look at the pet while you're conceiving, and you're good.
However some people have expanded that to be what you look at during the whole pregnancy. My Rav said he heard it many times but actually has no source for it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:38 am
AFAIK, not looking at ANY tamei animals (or at non Jews) is only for a three year old on the day of his cheder firen. (Even if it’s not his exact birthday day).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets