Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to make 3yr old gluten and dairy free?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 1:15 pm
Op- you really have to chill. Sorry, but your outlook on food is not good. Your husband and kids will resent you eventually.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It sounds worse written out. He calls it that himself. I buy him all his food. He complains to me that his stomach always hurts (and he is on the toilet all day) - I don't say a word. I serve fleishig and veggies and always have his own food available even tho I don't eat it. But then he goes and serves it to ds (from the youngest age. Literally trying to feed him nosh when he was learning to eat solids.) who would otherwise be happy without it.

Whatever. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that an 18m who's happily eating eggs, spinach, Ezekiel Bread, hummus for lunch should be given store bought pizza once a week and I should be happy about that??

Again I'm not crazy. I know about food disorders and I'm not trying to create one. I'm not snatching snacks out of a little baby hand but I think I can be upset that an adult put it there to begin with. He refuses to listen to me, talk about it, anything it's like he's stuck in the 90s when he grew up with a mother who thinks frosted cheerios is a healthy breakfast.

It's pretty common to have different attitudes about food. I think pizza once a week is a reasonable compromise.

What you're calling nosh is regular food. Your husband is allowed to feed him regular food and you can feed him what you like. Unless he's celiac or something.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 2:36 pm
OP, please take your child to an allergist, and also get an autoimmune panel done. Look for inflammatory markers. If the doctor says your child is OK, then they are OK!

You seriously need to sit down and communicate with DH. I'm also wondering about you keeping all of your medical stuff a secret, and what the deeper meaning of that is. It's not normal at all.

The more I hear, the more I'm thinking this has very little to do with food, and lot to do with control issues. Don't make your kid into a tug-o-war rope. As long as DH is not feeding your kid treif, things will be fine.

BTW, when I say "your kid", I mean BOTH you and DH, not just you. Parenting is a team effort, it shouldn't be a battlefield.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 3:00 pm
I don't know op. But ill share my experience with gluten and dairy.

As a teen I had a bad psoriasis rash. It was on my elbow and limited my range of motion. Nothing would make it go away. (This is how it looked. It was terribly itchy and shed white pcs all over) https://www.merckmanuals.com/h.....iasis
I also had terrible periods to the point that id miss 2 days of school every time. And another 3 days id be scared to get off my seat cuz I might had bled thru and those were 45 minute periods (pun intended). And some other minor health related issues.

I went to someone who does energy testing and homeopathy. She told me to stay off gluten amongst other things.
It was a total life changer. Gone was the rash. Gone were the crazy periods. And all other things were gone! I followed the program for a few years and then stopped. The problems bh didnt come back.
Then I had my kids. One kid had a cold "12 months out of the year" as her speech therapist called it. Lol.
I stopped giving my kids dairy and gone were the chronic ear infections. Gone was the runny noses..... its been a few years and slowly I reintroduced dairy. I still don't give them milk. (6 and 4 yo)

Recently, one of my kids have been diagosed with PANDAS. It was a hellish zoo in this house. Standard basic treatment has not helped much. So back I went to that lady who does energy testing and homeopathy, 2 weeks into the program (yups, it includes going gluten free!) And I bh got my child back. There are better and worse days but life is livable.

There is tofu fake cheese and rice/almon/coconut/soy milk and there are so so many yummy gluten free things to buy. Also, bobs red mills 1 to 1 gluten free flour is super easy to bake with.
CANYON bread (ou hechsher) can be bought at walmart.. They have a few different kinds of bread they have Bagels and english muffins. Katz (we didnt like their bread. Not the taste or the texture) gluten free cookies and rugalach are delicuous. Baked By Bibi's makes absolutely DEVINE biscottis and other cookies. Better than regular, I mean it.
There is also goldbaums brown rice pasta.
I send along teasted bread every day with my kid to school. And snacks.

Going back a few years when oldest child was just under 12 months, bil randomly gave her a lollipop. I was livid! Why INTRODUCE IT?
then later when she was having a bad case of pinworms and pinx wasn't helping at all. Even a stronger dose.... I tried limitting sugar and giving garlic and the whole shmeidrei. Bh it worked. Once I was at mil and she gave that child honeycomb in the highchair. I told mil, its not good for her im trying toneliminate sugar according to her ped and before my kid realized what was handed to him/her I quickly subsituted it. But then no, mil again took some more and put it on the highchair. And said "let me a good bubby" I told her she isnt being a good bubby by giving child something that isnt good for their health.....
Problem was, we were there for an 8 day yon tov.... and thats how it went. By thr time we came home, child had yeast rashes and pinworms again after FINALLY gettinf rid of it. You bet I was ANGRY! Mil was sleeping soundly while I cried along with my poor child writhing in pain every night....

Im not crazy, my 7 month old already had his first lolipop and chocolate... long story but he needed to be calmed down and that did the trick. Not ideal. Very not. But if there is a reason, things happen. You do your best and the rest is not in our hands.
But stam? Why?
My kids to this day love snacking on juicy apples. They love fresh fruits. My oldest (who I was more strict with. With 2nd I kinda gave up. Was wrong decision bit whatever) loves fresh veggies. She also loves nosh and gets her fair share. Lucky her, Oodles dont have gluten. Lol....

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 3:07 pm
Sugar does not cause pinworms. Pinworms cause pinworms. Most likely, there had always been a few hiding out from before.

Sugar makes a nice environment for them to multiply, but it does not magically create a parasite where there was none before. Therefore, your child was not completely cured the first time.

I still think you should never create a restrictive diet for a child without getting a doctor and a nutritionist on board. Of course use seichel when it comes to junk food, and get as many nutrients as you can, but do it in a holistic way, with professional help.

(BTW, my mom gave my brother lots of fresh squeezed orange juice, and bran muffins fortified with wheat germ. Guess what? He turned out to be allergic to citrus and whole wheat. He could only eat white bread and cookies. Go figure.)

banana split

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 10:48 pm
Bumping this up because I really would love to be in touch with the OP of this thread. If you’re still out there and see this can you please pm me. Thanks

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:22 pm
OP you’re not going to get support for your decision on this site, unfortunately. You’ll have to find your tribe elsewhere. But just know it can be done. And you’re not crazy for wanting this for your child.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OP, please take your child to an allergist, and also get an autoimmune panel done. Look for inflammatory markers. If the doctor says your child is OK, then they are OK!

You seriously need to sit down and communicate with DH. I'm also wondering about you keeping all of your medical stuff a secret, and what the deeper meaning of that is. It's not normal at all.

The more I hear, the more I'm thinking this has very little to do with food, and lot to do with control issues. Don't make your kid into a tug-o-war rope. As long as DH is not feeding your kid treif, things will be fine.

BTW, when I say "your kid", I mean BOTH you and DH, not just you. Parenting is a team effort, it shouldn't be a battlefield.
Allergists have no way of testing for food sensitivities. And all kinds of autoimmune and inflammatory issues have no biomarkers and won’t ever show up on a blood test. And a doctor saying your kid is okay does not make them okay. Have you never had a doctor brush aside your very real concerns because they weren’t life threatening? What passes for health these days is a sorry excuse for real health. OP is entitled to want optimal health for her child and that includes keeping her gut healthy. No, that’s not a control issue.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:37 pm
NPYOB wrote:
Bumping this up because I really would love to be in touch with the OP of this thread. If you’re still out there and see this can you please pm me. Thanks

Still here but what would you like to know?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't eat gluten/dairy so the mindset or cooking is not a problem.

Dh is. He eats bread and cheese for a living and feeds **** to our kid.

School is. Daycare this year gives lunches and snacks and it's basically pasta and cereal.

Society is. Bubby house, aunts and uncles, treats etc.

And ofc ds himself is. Used to grilled cheese sandwiches, yogurt etc.

For health reasons I really want him off gluten and dairy as much as possible and within my control but I feel helpless. He's not allergic or I could stand my ground but he's reacting very badly and breaking out in weird rashes (I already took him to dermatologist)

It doesn't need to be life threatening allergy to be a medical concern. Find a doctor who supports you in the belief that dairy and gluten are affecting your child negatively. Once you have the weight of a doctor behind you, getting cooperation from relatives and school goes a lot better.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:24 am
Since its bumped up, how are you doing OP? Did you and your dh get on the same page?

I never saw this thread before. People at large wont understand you but I do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:08 am
Poor kid.

banana split

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:06 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Since its bumped up, how are you doing OP? Did you and your dh get on the same page?

Yes I also do. And the saddest thing is that people are ignorant and so judgemental towards people who are trying to take care of gut health and prevent their kids from getting auto immune diseases and other things such as adhd, anxiety and a million other problems that taking care of gut health will prevent and treat.

banana split

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Poor kid.

I actually feel worse for the kids who are suffering from mental disorders and autoimmune conditions and technically if they had access to functional health medicine and had the knowledge that the OP has they can lead normal and healthy lives

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:18 am
I can’t imagine any sane pediatrician would be ok with this.
What does your child’s pediatrician say about this?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:30 am
Just throwing out random information here-

There’s someone in Lakewood who is an herbalist and has a method to test for food sensitivities.
Our pediatric gastro was not able to figure out what was triggering our child’s stomach issues. He recommended we see a dietitian. Dietitian said go off wheat, dairy, onions, garlic, fructose... and lots more... child was seriously suffering from lack of food choices. Finally met herbalist who said wheat is fine! Garlic is fine! He gave us a list of foods that showed up as problematic and it’s so helpful for us.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Just throwing out random information here-

There’s someone in Lakewood who is an herbalist and has a method to test for food sensitivities.
Our pediatric gastro was not able to figure out what was triggering our child’s stomach issues. He recommended we see a dietitian. Dietitian said go off wheat, dairy, onions, garlic, fructose... and lots more... child was seriously suffering from lack of food choices. Finally met herbalist who said wheat is fine! Garlic is fine! He gave us a list of foods that showed up as problematic and it’s so helpful for us.
can you post the name of that person here?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Dh didn't get on board. I gave up. I thought during lockdown I could control what the kids eat but I'm too exhausted to fight this fight. My husband will buy Mike and ikes instead of the million other healthier candies available, or fruity pebbles(food coloring) instead of cocoa pebbles.

All you naysayers, happy now?
I'm pretty sure my kid already has what I do, which is 4 autoimmune diseases (showing physical symptoms), I just don't even want to test. I don't want to know. I'm on 4k of drugs a month and have spent thousands on alternative health doctors and supplements.

It's a crying shame to subject a 3 year old to this life, but seriously, what am I supposed to do? Every day school gives out animal crackers or pretzels as the afternoon snack (which ends up coming home). Lunch is French fries. In shul dh allows multiple lollipops. How much control do I really have?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:54 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I can’t imagine any sane pediatrician would be ok with this.
What does your child’s pediatrician say about this?

You mean the same one who told me to feed rice cereal at 4 months?
Love him dearly but I treat him as diagnostician only.
Also, any holistic pediatrician would encourage this. Sorry if yours is also an old man.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:09 pm
Uch weird how people react here.

Gluten and milk in America are known inflammatory foods. Those that suffer from it know how bad it can impact people. I'm so happy that most people are fine.

Maybe consider Bethel milk? It's organic and more fresh. Also whole wheat may not be harmful for him at this time. Refuah Shleima to you and gezunt for your whole family.

I'd try to have a heart to heart with DH about how you suffer and already see the rash on your child. Express your desires. Send in food for your child to school. If my kids school gave animal crackers or graham crackers I'd never allow them to give it! So awful that society doesn't know the first thing about health.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics