Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Don't miss out on this great opportunity-accelerated nursing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:21 am
Hello Imamothers,

I've been looking into going into nursing for years (I am 55) but I work full-time and can't take a couple of years off to go to school. I just got off the phone with a college that is possibly willing to work with a frum schedule. It's an accelerated nursing program so it only takes 3 years to get your BSN (instead of the standard 4) and their classes are at night, Monday-Thursday from 5-10:30 pm. Their clinicals right now are scheduled for Saturday, but if we get together a class of frum women and girls, they would be open to working with us to do clinicals and labs on Sunday. They are located about an hour from Lakewood, Brooklyn and Monsey respectively.

Do you know anyone who would be interested in this? I don't know that they'll offer this another year and it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can provide my email address if any of you are seriously interested.

rikki 1

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:46 am
Sounds interesting but I cant imagine working and then traveling two hours (an hour each way)each evening especially at 10:30 at night.

For refrence: I'm in Lakewood.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:49 am
Might be easier to get a bachelor's through tti or something like that in 1 yr and then to a 1 yr full time bsn program. Also most schools accommodate without too much trouble. No need to bend over backwards and form a group of students for them.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:35 am
I too went back to school to earn my BSN when I was older (3 yr program, graduated when I was 48yrs old). I love my job as an RN in a hospital and I am so grateful to be able to be doing what I had dreamed about for so long. I wish you much siyata dishmaya and hatzlacha.
however, nursing school is rigorous. I am quite strong academically, but I cannot fathom how you can work full time, attend full time nursing classes at night and have enough time for clinical hours, studying and writing the required papers. And I havent even mentioned any other life obligations such as family, yomim tovim, simchos etc. There is not enough time in the day to do all those things even if you have superhuman strength and uber genius academic ability. I dont mean to be a downer, but your plan doesnt sound realistic. If you truly want to be a nurse, you CAN do it, but I believe your plan needs to be adjusted starting with cutting out your full time job.
good luck!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:45 am
So the plan is to work full time 8:00 - 4:00, then drive for an hour and study for the next five and a half hours? Four evenings a week? And presumably spend Sundays studying and writing papers. I just don't see how it can be done. Maybe you could push it for a one year course, but three years of living like that sounds impossible. At 55 you probably don't have young children at home, but for anyone who does, it would be even harder.

Maybe you could cut your job down to part time to allow for part time studying. I don't think the kind of schedule you propose is so practical. Nursing school doesn't go with a full time job.

Just One

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:22 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Might be easier to get a bachelor's through tti or something like that in 1 yr and then to a 1 yr full time bsn program. Also most schools accommodate without too much trouble. No need to bend over backwards and form a group of students for them.

Do you know somebody's who's done this? I'm looking into all options and would love more info.

Just One

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:23 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I too went back to school to earn my BSN when I was older (3 yr program, graduated when I was 48yrs old). I love my job as an RN in a hospital and I am so grateful to be able to be doing what I had dreamed about for so long. I wish you much siyata dishmaya and hatzlacha.
however, nursing school is rigorous. I am quite strong academically, but I cannot fathom how you can work full time, attend full time nursing classes at night and have enough time for clinical hours, studying and writing the required papers. And I havent even mentioned any other life obligations such as family, yomim tovim, simchos etc. There is not enough time in the day to do all those things even if you have superhuman strength and uber genius academic ability. I dont mean to be a downer, but your plan doesnt sound realistic. If you truly want to be a nurse, you CAN do it, but I believe your plan needs to be adjusted starting with cutting out your full time job.
good luck!

Did you go through Bulkas seminary?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:31 pm
Just One wrote:
Did you go through Bulkas seminary?

I did. I loved it. it prepared me well for working as an RN. it was wonderful that they took care of scheduling etc so as not to conflict with my religious needs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:35 pm
I babysit from 9-3 actually, so I would be able to study when the kids are napping and I can prepare dinner etc at 3. I can also cut my hours to 9:30-2:15 so I'll have more time

Just One

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I did. I loved it. it prepared me well for working as an RN. it was wonderful that they took care of scheduling etc so as not to conflict with my religious needs.

How many hrs per day was school and clinicals?

Is it a hard program to get into or do they take anybody that applies?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I babysit from 9-3 actually, so I would be able to study when the kids are napping and I can prepare dinner etc at 3. I can also cut my hours to 9:30-2:15 so I'll have more time

if your job is flexible and you can cut hours as needed, then it might be doable.
Look into HRSA Nurse Corps Scholarship. Paid mmy tuition and gave a monthly stipend.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 12:47 pm
Just One wrote:
How many hrs per day was school and clinicals?

Is it a hard program to get into or do they take anybody that applies?

I dont remember the hours. It changed every semester. Some classes began early (730?), some were in afternoon. You need to be flexible.
If your grades are ok and you pass the TEAS test than I think you get in
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics