Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you celebrate thanksgiving
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:59 pm
We don’t my husband holds by rav Avigdor Miller zl.

I personally feel we have enough holidays on our plates aha why add thanksgiving to it?

We’re chasidish

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:10 pm
Nope Smile

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:12 pm
No; every day is Thanksgiving 🙂

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:15 pm
I didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving but my husband did

So my in laws usually invite us for Thanksgiving meal

I don't really care one way or another- im not super into it but hey, why not, celebrations are fun- just no turkey, please!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:17 pm
No. But I’m thankful for my day off of work 😀 I’m using my day off to get ready for Shabbos, which amounts to the same work as cooking a Thanksgiving dinner.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:17 pm
Not exclusively but if I bother my mom enough she’ll make a Turkey (this year just the breast) Smile

I happen to love the “holiday” it just feels so nice getting the family together for a mid day causal meal even though we do that for Shabbas but thanksgiving gives off a different vibe and I’m always down to have a meal w family so why not

hodeez

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:18 pm
We also hold by Rav Miller Smile

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:22 pm
No- I don’t know anyone who does

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:22 pm
I grew up celebrating Thanksgiving. At some point cooking a big meal on Thursday was too much for my Mom. So we stopped having family over on Thursday and had a full Thanksgiving meal on Friday night instead.

I LOVE Thanksgiving food. So I always make it for shabbos Chanukah.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:26 pm
We do. We are American BTs and we grew up with it. Although it isn't a Jewish holiday, I can't see the downside of an extra day to gather with family and eat a delicious meal and tune in to the gratitude we have to live in such a wonderful country with so much freedom and opportunity for prosperity. (Ok, the last part feels less so this year - but we still like eating turkey with family).

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:28 pm
No.

But I think it is nice for non-jews to gives thanks to Hashem - especially with the war on religion.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:31 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Not exclusively but if I bother my mom enough she’ll make a Turkey (this year just the breast) Smile

I happen to love the “holiday” it just feels so nice getting the family together for a mid day causal meal even though we do that for Shabbas but thanksgiving gives off a different vibe and I’m always down to have a meal w family so why not

Your last line (I'm always down to have a meal w family so why not) encapsulates my position on Thanksgiving celebrations perfectly Cool

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:36 pm
We celebrate Thanksgiving. My family has been America for awhile. My grandchildren are seventh generation American. BH we have a lot to be thankful for. Living in a country that allows seven generations to grow up and be Frum is something to really stop and be grateful for.

Frumme

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:45 pm
Yes, DH and I both grew up with it. Personally if it's just us, we don't make a big feast of it and just have a Thanksgiving themed dinner e.g. turkey tenders, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. That way I'm not in the kitchen all day but still get to enjoy Thanksgiving themed food. And leftovers get repurposed into shabbos dinner like shepherd's pie

liveandlove.ima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:46 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
No; every day is Thanksgiving 🙂

Like that!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:47 pm
https://I.imgur.com/8EJADhe.jpg

This was Rav Miller’s answer in regard to celebrating Thanksgiving. I new that he held not to celebrate. But I did not know how strongly he was opposed to it until I saw this.

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:56 pm
Rabbi Miller's opinion on Thanksgiving is a minority opinion.

My family is very strict not to follow customs that have trickled in to Judaism from Christianity or paganism. I recently posted about it on a different thread.

My father, a learned Rav, had no problem with celebrating Thanksgiving.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:02 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/8EJADhe.jpg

This was Rav Miller’s answer in regard to celebrating Thanksgiving. I new that he held not to celebrate. But I did not know how strongly he was opposed to it until I saw this.
wow, I wonder if he realized that what he said was wrong. Thanksgiving origins had zero to do with going to church. And wow, eating turkey is avoda zara? Thats a bit extreme, no?

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:19 pm
Yes we do. In a relaxed, fun way, nothing too formal or rigid

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
wow, I wonder if he realized that what he said was wrong. Thanksgiving origins had zero to do with going to church. And wow, eating turkey is avoda zara? Thats a bit extreme, no?

Rabbi Veiner quotes Rav Moshe Feinstein that eating turkey is avodah zorah. So no, not extreme. (If you use his heter of chalav stam, then you should follow him in this as well).

Really interesting how they both said the same thing and I doubt they consulted with each other.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics