Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do your kids do from after school until bedtime?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:18 pm
My kids are bored and end up squabbling a lot. Up until recently they still went out afternoons but it’s too cold and dark now. They do have homework which takes up some time but they still have lots of time to be bored and pick fights.
What do your kids do?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:24 pm
Ages?
Mine are under 8 so board games or card games aren’t really an option, books are but not for all. They do get really bored if we don’t have a after school outing or activity planned.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Ages?
Mine are under 8 so board games or card games aren’t really an option, books are but not for all. They do get really bored if we don’t have a after school outing or activity planned.

From tots to teens
Can’t plan activities or outings for every night

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:29 pm
I love this question and totally relate to it

The struggle is real.

I was thinking maybe of buying a whole bunch of story CDs

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:31 pm
Ages 9 & down. Listen to a story tape, play, color/draw, read, fight, jump around, play with the baby.

amother
Pumpkin

Though I'm struggling with the same issue, on many days we put on the music on high volume and dance.

amother
Amber

Boys play football and basketball , cards too. Teenage girls talk on phone and busy with school work. Little kids are more bored - sometimes neighbors will come play

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:32 pm
My kids also play piano so that can keep them busy at times. One of the boys is busy asking Alexa a million sports questions every day

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:38 pm
Coloring books.
I allow a neighbor or two to come over and play
Dolls
Phone calls to friends

And yes, plenty fighting too

behappy2

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:43 pm
They play with neighbors a lot.

Otherwise watch videos or I read to them, play with them.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:44 pm
I sent my dd out to a neighbor as a helper. Keeps her busy and awesome for my neighbor.
Other kids do homework, learning program, read library books or listen on cd, play gameboy and lego.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Boys play football and basketball , cards too. Teenage girls talk on phone and busy with school work. Little kids are more bored - sometimes neighbors will come play

Isn’t it cold and dark when the boys get home? Truth is I don’t know where you live. Might be warm climate.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:04 pm
Hw takes ton of time between everybody. Chavrusas. .. one kids 2x/ week.Play with their dog . Take the dog out . One child gets OTx2 week.. remote . An hour of electronics . Showers . Prepare clothing for tomm.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:11 pm
Really? Mine doesn’t have enough time to be bored. We get home at 5ish or later. Homework, then a bit of play. Dinner at 6:30 then a mad scramble of shower and bedtime at 8pm.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:19 pm
Books
Tv
Play with friends
Baking
Bikin
Aet
Bnei akiva
Babysitting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:19 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Really? Mine doesn’t have enough time to be bored. We get home at 5ish or later. Homework, then a bit of play. Dinner at 6:30 then a mad scramble of shower and bedtime at 8pm.

Mine get home at 4 and bedtime for the older ones is 10. Younger ones do go to sleep at 8. Homework doesn’t take more than an hour and there are still many more hours left.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:29 pm
I have girls 10 and under. My 10 year old used to be on the phone all the time. She agreed that it might not be the best use of her time so she decided that after dinner until bedtime she's going to try to not call her friends. Other then phone, active play including swinging on our outdoor swings, yes even in the dark but we have an outdoor light, games, crafts, dot to dot type "workbooks" playing with siblings are all popular here.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:42 pm
Karaoke machine, coloring, coloring and more coloring. Lego and clics, trading stickers, making schedule charts for fun, homework takes up a lot of time. We sit around and schmooze in between. We do a workout sometimes they think it’s fun.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:22 pm
My girls are lately obsessed with school playing. Have a whiteboard and expo markers. They constantly bring home extra papers, the teacher doesn't need, from school.

The nights they don't take a bath I allow them to invite a neighbor or go to a neighbors house.

Sometimes I play with them a game, color with them etc.

Yes, we also have some bored days.

small bean

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:43 pm
So dinner is really long affsir with us all talking. Little kids do homework right after dinner and big kids do household responsibilities.

I try to take my kids twice a week to urban air in the winter to get some energy out.

But really most nights have no organized play, it's more schmoozing type play and reading. Some days lots of fighting and some days none at all.

Getting more than one phone line is also helpful. They talk a lot on the phone to their friends.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics