Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to make 3yr old gluten and dairy free?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Just throwing out random information here-

There’s someone in Lakewood who is an herbalist and has a method to test for food sensitivities.
Our pediatric gastro was not able to figure out what was triggering our child’s stomach issues. He recommended we see a dietitian. Dietitian said go off wheat, dairy, onions, garlic, fructose... and lots more... child was seriously suffering from lack of food choices. Finally met herbalist who said wheat is fine! Garlic is fine! He gave us a list of foods that showed up as problematic and it’s so helpful for us.

Can you please share the name? Or message me? Thx

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:47 pm
I am so sorry OP. I feel terrible for what you are going through.

Are you going to accept it or resent it forever? If the latter, you need to deal with it.

My dh came around after I negotiated an 8 week trial. The symptoms cleared and was obvious. But I took on all food responsibilities including supplying dh talis bag with loads of shul alternatives, with extras to give out to all kids. And finding equal equivalents for all occasions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I am so sorry OP. I feel terrible for what you are going through.

Are you going to accept it or resent it forever? If the latter, you need to deal with it.

My dh came around after I negotiated an 8 week trial. The symptoms cleared and was obvious. But I took on all food responsibilities including supplying dh talis bag with loads of shul alternatives, with extras to give out to all kids. And finding equal equivalents for all occasions.

I have too much going on now but hopefully in a few more weeks when things settle down. Right now I'm in survival mode just making basic suppers

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You mean the same one who told me to feed rice cereal at 4 months?
Love him dearly but I treat him as diagnostician only.
Also, any holistic pediatrician would encourage this. Sorry if yours is also an old man.

What's wrong with that?

In Israel they recommend giving children tastes of food at that age, small exposures to get them used to feeling it in their mouths and also it helps avoid allergies later on (part of the reason so few kids here have nut allergies compared to the States). Rice cereal at 4 months makes perfect sense to me.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh didn't get on board. I gave up. I thought during lockdown I could control what the kids eat but I'm too exhausted to fight this fight. My husband will buy Mike and ikes instead of the million other healthier candies available, or fruity pebbles(food coloring) instead of cocoa pebbles.

All you naysayers, happy now?
I'm pretty sure my kid already has what I do, which is 4 autoimmune diseases (showing physical symptoms), I just don't even want to test. I don't want to know. I'm on 4k of drugs a month and have spent thousands on alternative health doctors and supplements.

It's a crying shame to subject a 3 year old to this life, but seriously, what am I supposed to do? Every day school gives out animal crackers or pretzels as the afternoon snack (which ends up coming home). Lunch is French fries. In shul dh allows multiple lollipops. How much control do I really have?
I feel you OP. In the same boat. I did manage to get dh on board somewhat but there’s stilll the rest of the world. My child also already has an autoimmune disorder. It’s very very very exhausting and so so sad. I keep hoping the world will wake up but things just seem to be getting worse.

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I feel you OP. In the same boat. I did manage to get dh on board somewhat but there’s stilll the rest of the world. My child also already has an autoimmune disorder. It’s very very very exhausting and so so sad. I keep hoping the world will wake up but things just seem to be getting worse.

I used to be a naysayer. It took one child with autoimmune diagnosis another with adhd another with anxiety and behavioral problems to wake up and do some research and TG I found integrative medicine and leaky gut syndrome. I dont think there’s a day that goes by here on imamother where someone doesn’t post about a child or spouse or themselves with a condition that could be helped by this philosophy. The hardest thing about living a healthy lifestyle is the naysayers around us. I would say in about 20 years the regular medical community will wake up and see the research that is currently being done. Until then everyone will fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, mental illness, autism, adhd, and every autoimmune condition will be treated with steroids and cover up medications that doesn’t make the condition go away but just masks the symptoms allowing the fire to continue raging inside the body. Good luck to everyone

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:14 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I used to be a naysayer. It took one child with autoimmune diagnosis another with adhd another with anxiety and behavioral problems to wake up and do some research and TG I found integrative medicine and leaky gut syndrome. I dont think there’s a day that goes by here on imamother where someone doesn’t post about a child or spouse or themselves with a condition that could be helped by this philosophy. The hardest thing about living a healthy lifestyle is the naysayers around us. I would say in about 20 years the regular medical community will wake up and see the research that is currently being done. Until then everyone will fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, mental illness, autism, adhd, and every autoimmune condition will be treated with steroids and cover up medications that doesn’t make the condition go away but just masks the symptoms allowing the fire to continue raging inside the body. Good luck to everyone
I’ll be very happy if things change in 20 years. Somehow I doubt it. Have you managed to heal your children with diet?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:

Can you tell us what it is you do? In sum
Clean eating? Naturopaths? Gluten and sugar free? Do tell!
I’m on this journey for myself after suffering from a million things, but I like to hear from others.
Just to clarify, I agree with everything you posted.

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Can you tell us what it is you do? In sum
Clean eating? Naturopaths? Gluten and sugar free? Do tell!
I’m on this journey for myself after suffering from a million things, but I like to hear from others.
Just to clarify, I agree with everything you posted.

Working with a practitioner who did tons of testing. Hair, stool, blood, urine etc.
She goes over the results and tells you what foods are triggers and wht supplements you need.
Also need to use “clean” hair and body and house products.
Check house for mold.
It’s very extensive. Very expensive. She is not taking any new patients so I won’t post her info.
I used her because altho I did tons of research and ready tons of books I needed that support system.
Gives you recipes and ideas and emotional support.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:53 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
What's wrong with that?

In Israel they recommend giving children tastes of food at that age, small exposures to get them used to feeling it in their mouths and also it helps avoid allergies later on (part of the reason so few kids here have nut allergies compared to the States). Rice cereal at 4 months makes perfect sense to me.

Then I won't attempt to educate you otherwise.
Thanks for all those offering support. Truly, until you've been there, you don't get it. But it's so sad that we even have to first get into this bad place. I wish the world would wake up but there's too much money in junk and bad health. Just look at the "pandemic" (in quotes bc I'm sick of it, not bc I don't know ppl who have died from it) is the govt telling us to take vitamins, exercise and get fresh air? No they closed the gyms and left the liquor stores open.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:06 pm
I'm back Sad
Now my child is 4 and reacting very badly to what I believe is mold. We are working on moving but I know the first step is the gluten and dairy. It's just so freaking hard. School and camp gives lunches. I feed healthy suppers, veggies, brone broth, TRS, use nontoxic stuff, don't rlly do vitamins or supplements but it's so obvious to me that I'm watching an autoimmune condition unfold and it's not even worth paying money to a functional practitioner if I can't first eliminate the most obvious triggers.
Ughhhh

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm back Sad
Now my child is 4 and reacting very badly to what I believe is mold. We are working on moving but I know the first step is the gluten and dairy. It's just so freaking hard. School and camp gives lunches. I feed healthy suppers, veggies, brone broth, TRS, use nontoxic stuff, don't rlly do vitamins or supplements but it's so obvious to me that I'm watching an autoimmune condition unfold and it's not even worth paying money to a functional practitioner if I can't first eliminate the most obvious triggers.
Ughhhh

I agree with most of what you posted (in theory anyway) and I think mold usually isn’t the only cause. Did you do a physical work up, blood tests for strep antibodies and micoplasma?
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 6:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm back Sad
Ughhhh

Such a helpless feeling Hug
I managed to do it with 1 kid. It’s been 4 years and it’s still a huge struggle with lots of slip ups on child’s part, and a huge source of stress and heartache and self doubt for me. I often even question if the effort and resentment is worth the benefit, especially since we’re far from perfect and will likely never be there. My other kid desperately needs diet changes too but I just don’t have the emotional energy for it. Beyond sad because I know it would make a tremendous difference but it seems impossible.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:25 pm
I just find it interesting that everyone who is obsessed with clean eating and gut health and is convinced that the worlds evil lies in food is so sick and has so many sick kids.

I grew up on goats milk, fiber blend, the yuckiest whole wheat bread, olive oil for ear infections, no vaccines and no antibiotics. Heck not even Tylenol. How are me and my siblings faring?
I’m mostly fine bh
One brother is severely autistic. Mom tried every homeopathic remedy out there but Ofcourse she could not reverse his regressive autism.
Next brother has crohns, and some sort of cognitive/emotional disorder. He also had eczema and developmental delays as a baby/toddler.
Another sister is an extremely picky eater and lived on mostly dairy until recently
Another brother has severe scoliosis and requires multiple surgeries.
And mom who ate the healthiest of all? Who took every vitamin on the planet. Who avoided microwaves and plastic plates and styrofoam cups and aluminum pans? Oh and mammograms because of the radiation.
She’s dead of stage four cancer
You bet she took that poisonous chemo!
And drank homemade carrot juice every day convinced it would heal her. It didn’t.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:37 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
I just find it interesting that everyone who is obsessed with clean eating and gut health and is convinced that the worlds evil lies in food is so sick and has so many sick kids.

I grew up on goats milk, fiber blend, the yuckiest whole wheat bread, olive oil for ear infections, no vaccines and no antibiotics. Heck not even Tylenol. How are me and my siblings faring?
I’m mostly fine bh
One brother is severely autistic. Mom tried every homeopathic remedy out there but Ofcourse she could not reverse his regressive autism.
Next brother has crohns, and some sort of cognitive/emotional disorder. He also had eczema and developmental delays as a baby/toddler.
Another sister is an extremely picky eater and lived on mostly dairy until recently
And mom who ate the healthiest of all? Who took every vitamin on the planet. Who avoided microwaves and plastic plates and styrofoam cups and aluminum pans? Oh and mammograms because of the radiation.
And drank homemade carrot juice every day convinced it would heal her. It didn’t.
Maybe it’s the families that struggle with multiple chronic health issues that turn to diet in an attempt to mitigate some of them? It’s not like mainstream doctors are giving them anything to hold on to, and there is lots of scientific evidence linking diet and gut health to all kinds of health issues. So it’s far from an unreasonable place to start. I don’t really want to debate, but do You realize that fiber blend, whole wheat bread and goats milk are generally not part of an anti inflammatory diet, even if they were considered the epitome of health food 30 years ago? It’s unfortunate that your moms lifestyle choices wasn’t enough to prevent cancer or autism, but we have more information today. And nothings a guarantee, but there’s more science to back this every day.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:44 pm

I’m mostly fine bh

Eating a healthy diet is just hishtadlut. It's not a guarantee. My pediatrician is very very vocal about how junky even the healthy foods are. He overheard his PA suggesting oatly milk to a patient and he pulled her aside and explained to her that it's not a great milk substitute as it contains a ton of veg oil! He has MS and he doesn't think the diet will heal him, but it does reduce some of the more painful symptoms.

And he has saved quite a few lives by working through the diet.

It may not affect everyone, but it's fair to say that some people really do need and benefit from diet.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:46 pm
Maybe it’s the families that struggle with multiple chronic health issues that turn to diet in an attempt to mitigate some of them? It’s not like mainstream doctors are giving them anything to hold on to, and there is lots of scientific evidence linking diet and gut health to all kinds of health issues. So it’s far from an unreasonable place to start. I don’t really want to debate, but do You realize that fiber blend, whole wheat bread and goats milk are generally not part of an anti inflammatory diet, even if they were considered the epitome of health food 30 years ago? It’s unfortunate that your moms lifestyle choices wasn’t enough to prevent cancer or autism, but we have more information today. And nothings a guarantee, but there’s more science to back this every day.

So are you saying that there are lifestyle choices that can prevent cancer and autism and she just didn’t do or know enough?

And besides she did all of that BEFORE anyone got sick. So really, I wonder.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:53 pm
So are you saying that there are lifestyle choices that can prevent cancer and autism and she just didn’t do or know enough?

And besides she did all of that BEFORE anyone got sick. So really, I wonder.
Of course we know more about preventing cancer and autism today than we did 30 years ago. We know more about what causes them. We also know more about treating them. None of this is a guarantee in any way, but a lot more is in our control than we are led to believe. Fiber blend, whole wheat bread and goats milk is not going to cut it. It’s a whole lot more complex than that.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 7:57 pm
Of course we know more about preventing cancer and autism today than we did 30 years ago. We know more about what causes them. We also know more about treating them. None of this is a guarantee in any way, but a lot more is in our control than we are led to believe.

I’m so curious if this is what today’s kids will say in 30 years. Not your kids most likely. But the new generation of diet-and-energy-cures-everything.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 8:00 pm
I’m so curious if this is what today’s kids will say in 30 years. Not your kids most likely. But the new generation of diet-and-energy-cures-everything.
It’ll be interesting to see where it goes. But people with sick kids don’t have the luxury of sitting back and watching the show unfold. They have to do what they can with the information they have. And fwiw, nobody is saying that diet and energy cures everything. Again, it’s a whole lot more complex than that. But gut health is a really good place to start. And current science backs that. I personally don’t think that’s going anywhere, I think newer science will just build on that.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics