Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP!! What product is effective for teenage acne?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:17 am
1ofbillions wrote:
Is there anyone on here that had a bad experience with Accutane? I'm asking because my sister is experiencing severe acne, similar to what the OP's daughter has, and we're thinking of trying Accutane. I've read some reviews online in which people said that the Accu only made their acne worse...

I did accutane and it was the best decision ever!! My life changed drastically. I know that sounds dramatic but walking around with a spotty face was terrible for my self esteem and once my face cleared I felt like a new person!

mammala120

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 7:36 pm
Please update us. Hope u found solution.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:20 pm
I loved the clear facial skin that I got from Accutane.

What I do not love is the terrible skin condition that I inherited because of it's side effects. I have been suffering for ten years because of horrific rashes caused by a stupid doctor that gave me a super-potent steroid to combat the rashes that can be a side effect of Accutane.

It destroyed my skin and has stolen a decade of life from me. I suffer terribly because of the doctor that gave a super-powerful medication to be used a preventative for a condition that didn't even exist... He handed me the tube before the rashes appeared, telling me to use when I got rashy.

Worst decision of my life to trust him.

Be very careful.

smss

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 8:43 pm
-Clarisonic Mia facial brush
-probiotics (Prodermix makes one especially for acne)
-She probably won't be interested but going off sugar & dairy made a big difference for me!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Nov 06 2017, 9:20 pm
Poor thing.

My DD also has acne. More than just the one or two pimples. It's definitely noticeable. She is 12. She did the antibiotic topical, Retina A and oral antibiotics. Some of them helped but then she became extremely sensitive to sun. Or her skin was peeling all the time. She got a severe sunburn this summer just with topical medicines and she forgot to reapply sun screen.

Being 12, she has not been careful with how she takes care of her skin but has been motivated by wanting it to be gone. She does a salicylic acid wash in the morning and a toner and oil free facial moisturizer with sun screen. She does a facial wash at night for sensitive skin, moisturizer with salicylic acid at night and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide spot treatment.

She still gets acne but the skin around those break outs are clearer. I do notice that her acne fluctuates with diet and hormones.

It just doesn't seem fair.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 5:21 am
I hit the 'teenage acne' stage closer to 20 and I still have acne, though not as bad
I use a face wash twice a day, and then use a good moisturizer
I am also off of sugar and dairy and citric products and its made a HUGE significant difference!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 5:26 am
Wah face with wet washcloth or paper towel morning, noon, and before going to bed. Works wonders. Maybe best to start with this regimen as it's cheapest and least amount of chemicals. When washing face, wash all the way to the hairs on forehead and sides.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Nov 07 2017, 6:53 am
Have a friend who did pro-dermix, didn't work.
I tried everything medically and did accutane 3 times. It's back again Sad
I'm on Mini, whatever it is, anti biotics, It's helping...for now, but I've done it in the past and it's come back. ACNE for 10 years, shoulders, back, face, arms, stomach etc.

mammala120

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:07 pm
How r u OP? Did u find solutions for your daughter?

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:25 pm
I had pretty bad acne and nothing seemed to help. My acne wasn't severe but it was persistent.

Honestly, for me, a gentler method was most effective. Washing my face well, nightly, with a salicylic acid wash (neutrogena oil free acne wash) was more effective for me than the toners and wipes and proactiv (I tried that too) and antibiotics and whatever. The harsher the method, the less effective it seemed to be for me. Anyway, just that salicylic acid wash, along with being a little more careful about my diet (chocolate, for ex, makes me break out- so not something I would eat excessively) did the trick for me. Idk. When I got married, my husband started using the same acne wash and it helped him too. And now my teen uses it and finds it very helpful. Just that basic otc wash. Salicylic acid seems to work for us.

Two of my siblings did Accutane and they were happy with the results.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:27 pm
When you don’t recognize screen names and notice the thread is 6 years old. Can't Believe It

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:29 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
When you don’t recognize screen names and notice the thread is 6 years old. Can't Believe It

Ha! Lol. I noticed that I posted in page 1 of this thread. But hey, I still use the same wash, so decided to add my thoughts to the bumped thread. Smile It's bumped up anyway.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:34 pm
gold21 wrote:
Ha! Lol. I noticed that I posted in page 1 of this thread. But hey, I still use the same wash, so decided to add my thoughts to the bumped thread. Smile It's bumped up anyway.

So you were 28 6 years ago Wink

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:35 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
So you were 28 6 years ago Wink

Ya lol

srbmom

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:38 pm
I had bad acne as a teen and was at the dermatologist literally every 3 months. My mother wouldn't let me go on Accutane, but I tried everything else available. When I was about 18 the dr finally gave up on me and told me I'd have to live with it and one day I'd eventually grow out of it.
Took a few more years, but it finally happened Smile
When I got pregnant with my first my skin miraculously cleared up and until today, b"h now many years later, it is rare that I have even a pimple.
So I have no solution for any of you looking, but just want to reassure you that at least there may be some relief down the line.

polished

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:13 pm
Diet is a massive factor. Drink only water-no sodas, no sweet drinks.
Steer clear of margarine and high sugar foods.

Do not vigorously scrub face.

I have been using a soup called pears bar soap, for years. The best!
Light moisturiser

The less chemicals on a face the better

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:01 am
mother4 wrote:
She is not even 11!
She doesn't wear makeup yet.
No periods or growth yet.
It's not terrible, but she hates it.
I'm wondering what the dermatologist will prescribe as this is clearly typical teenage acne (just like I had). It didn't stop by me until age 30, although got better after 19.
I was just wondering if there is any 'tried and true' soap or face wash that keeps 'em in control.

I got acne at that age. Go to a dermatologist. Please.

And bar soap is terrible for your face and skin! Do you know how much dust and things like microorganisms grow on a little bar that has water constantly on it? It's so so bad for you. If you read up on it you will be totally grossed out.

Also scrubs with little peices, balls, beads are also terrible and cause micro tears on your skin

Trust.me I had bad acne for half of my. Life okay. I know what I'm talking about and I've seen many doctors.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics