Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If a member of your family was exposed/ in quarantine
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:30 pm
Did they quarantine away from the rest of the family? Or just stayed home?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:38 pm
One of my teens was in quarantine due to contact in the Spring. We kept her separated. She stayed in the spare bedroom and had exclusive use of the nearest bathroom. I brought her meals etc . We would chat from a distance. She BH felt fine and didn’t get sick and had online classes, so it was an adjustment but it went ok.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:47 pm
We haven't had this, but our neighbors did. They did not separate the kid, and had her helping out with the younger kids as usual. Because of that, we had to treat the whole family as if they were quarantined, which did not make ds happy, or their ds, who is his best friend.

Fuchsia

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:18 pm
My kid is currently quarantined. He stays away from the family and wears a mask when he needs anything from the kitchen or comes near anyone else.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:19 pm
No, we did not isolate our child. That would be secondary contact, not direct contact, unless she had developed symptoms herself. If there was a family member who was high risk we may have done differently. It's definitely not required. My dd was exposed to a teacher and she quarantined at home for 14 days. Since the school has teachers and students wearing masks no one else got it BH.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did they quarantine away from the rest of the family? Or just stayed home?
It would really depend on the laws where one is.
In israel, if you are in quarantine because of exposure, you have to stay away from everyone and even have your own bathroom if possible.
Quarantining with your family, if not exposed, sort of defeats the purpose.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:29 pm
No. I did not segregate my 5 year old from the rest of the family. Neither did I segregate my 11 year old. That’s called abuse. So far none of us got sick, but my 11 year old has antibodies so I suspect he had it during his quarantine, but he didn’t pass it along to anyone Bh.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:37 pm
What if it was an adult? Would that change anything? No real laws just cdc recommendations to quarantine if exposed

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:16 pm
DH was exposed and quarantined away from the family. He stayed in our bedroom for 2 weeks. I brought food to his door and slept on the couch myself. What's worse is all this was back at Pesach time. I had to kasher the house and do Seder for all the kids, all by myself.

However, if one of my kids needed to be in quarantine, dh would move out and all the kids and I would stay quarantined together, there's no way I could isolate just one kid.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:21 pm
I couldn’t and didn’t isolate as we have a small house and little kids/baby who need me. Completely impractical. Same for my husband when he needed to quarantine.

ImmaBubby

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:13 pm
I was exposed to someone who tested positive but was asymptomatic. I quarantined in a separate part of the house and on Shabbos ate my meals at the other end of the very long dining room table...
It wasn’t fun, I won’t lie.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What if it was an adult? Would that change anything? No real laws just cdc recommendations to quarantine if exposed

I copied cdc guidelines here from their website. This is for anyone who had close contact with a covid positive individual.

Close contact: You were within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more
You provided care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19
You had direct physical contact with the person (hugged or kissed them)
You shared eating or drinking utensils
They sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you

Steps to take:

Stay home and monitor your health

Stay home for 14 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19
Watch for fever (100.4◦F), cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms of COVID-19
If possible, stay away from others, especially people who are at higher risk for getting very sick from COVID-19

So isolating is not really expected.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:01 pm
In the spring I isolated those who were exposed.

Right now when the percentage of deaths is way lower, I wouldn't make anyone in the family quarantine if exposed.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 11:02 pm
I was told that if the family member with covid could isolate from the rest of us, then we needed to quarantine for 14 days. If that family member could not isolate from the rest of the family then we needed to quarantine for 14 days plus an additional 10 days.

mp5

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:58 am
My almost thirteen year old was quarentined twice because of school exposure and yes, he kept physically seperated from the rest of us. He wore a mask when he needed to leave the room (bathroom), we gloved and masked up when we went to spend time with him. He quarentined in a room just off the main room so did not feel too isolated, also he's an avid reader and passed the time fine.
If he would have been younger, one of us would probably have isolated with him.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:04 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
No. I did not segregate my 5 year old from the rest of the family. Neither did I segregate my 11 year old. That’s called abuse. So far none of us got sick, but my 11 year old has antibodies so I suspect he had it during his quarantine, but he didn’t pass it along to anyone Bh.
Thats a bit extreme. But if a young kid needs to quarantine, you could have one adult stay with them. No need for dramatizing this so much.

banana123

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:40 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It would really depend on the laws where one is.
In israel, if you are in quarantine because of exposure, you have to stay away from everyone and even have your own bathroom if possible.
Quarantining with your family, if not exposed, sort of defeats the purpose.

Yes and no. The best is bidud cheder, which is what you're describing. If that's not possible, the entire family can quarantine, which basically means no one leaves the house at all for two weeks, for any reason.

While it does leave your family exposed, it doesn't defeat the purpose, because no one leaves the house, so no one spreads it further.

Furthermore, often by the time a person knows s/he has to quarantine, it's been a few days, so if the person required to quarantine turns up positive, chances are everyone else will turn up positive as well, and if they're not quarantining, then by day 3 or so they are potentially spreading coronavirus further.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:43 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
In the spring I isolated those who were exposed.

Right now when the percentage of deaths is way lower, I wouldn't make anyone in the family quarantine if exposed.

If you're in Israel, then you'd be violating the law by not quarantining those exposed. And just so you know, if you are supposed to quarantine and don't, you may be facing a hefty fine. If you turn up positive and are supposed to quarantine but don't, the penalty is between three and seven years in prison.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:51 am
A lot of places are saying that if you test right, you can significantly shorten quarantine time. Most aren't saying 14 days any more.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:50 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

I agree that a 5 year old is probably difficult to segregate, but an 11 year old? Abuse? Really? 11 year olds are fine by themselves.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics