Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Healthy Friday night choiches

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:59 am
This what I make so far

- white challes (because really I shabbos needs to have white challes and my challes are the best)
-smoked salmon
- chickensoup (boil chicken less salt, lots lots of veggies, and I will add some matzo ball but that is fat)
-kugel ( I add only half cup oil instead of the whole cup on 1kg (2 pound) potatoes
-Grilled aubergines (in the oven)
-salads (tomato cucumber, sweetpotatoe with mini corn radices etc)
sometimes schnitzel or a steak

I want to eat more healthy and low fat and low carbs with shabbos and I mostly only eat Friday nights and the rest is @ the sluchim. I think I'm now going to make healthy cupcakes for after dinner. Spelt flour, and honey basically.

Any more tips?

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:05 am
Smoked salmon is full of salt, would you do grilled or poached instead?

You can make matzah balls without fat- let me know if you want me to pm you my recipe.

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:11 am
How about vegetable soup instead of chicken soup? Or split pea, lentil, barley soup?
You might have to change your screen name, though LOL

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:13 am
teachkids wrote:
Smoked salmon is full of salt, would you do grilled or poached instead?

You can make matzah balls without fat- let me know if you want me to pm you my recipe.
I actually have not enough salt (always low bloodpressure) I never made poached salmon...

And yeah please sent me ur matzah ball recipe

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:17 am
shirachadasha wrote:
How about vegetable soup instead of chicken soup? Or split pea, lentil, barley soup?
You might have to change your screen name, though LOL
Oy! I actually have a full veggie soup though. I'm with my husband only and I have selery, carrots, parnships, celeriac...

ima22

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:50 am
I am saying this with no judgement, only to address your stated desires to eat low carb/low fat and based on my own personal experience combined with advice from a nutritionist.

Looking at the number of carbs
Challah
Matzah ball
Potato kugel
Sweet potato/corn in salad
And a potential dessert

Looking at the obvious sources of fat
Salmon (good fat but still)
Potato kugel
Oil on the aubergines?
Dressings on the salad
Schnitzel
Possibly dessert

It's simply not possible to eat this many things in one meal if you're trying to eat low carb/low fat.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:09 am
We have only challa, chicken soup (with croutons) and chicken on potatoes. No Kugel. Sometimes grilled vegetables.
That’s it.
This week we will have birthday cake too! (My baby turns 3!)

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:28 am
ima22 wrote:
I am saying this with no judgement, only to address your stated desires to eat low carb/low fat and based on my own personal experience combined with advice from a nutritionist.

Looking at the number of carbs
Challah
Matzah ball
Potato kugel
Sweet potato/corn in salad
And a potential dessert

Looking at the obvious sources of fat
Salmon (good fat but still)
Potato kugel
Oil on the aubergines?
Dressings on the salad
Schnitzel
Possibly dessert

It's simply not possible to eat this many things in one meal if you're trying to eat low carb/low fat.

I never do dressings, I first do (olive) oil on the aubergines and then bake them in the oven, and then only do vinegear.

Ok why am I defending... instead of rubbing it in you aslo could say 'instead of doing sweet potatoe u should do X)

mybusyima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:28 am
Potato kugel with 2 pounds potatoes calls for a cup of oil????? I thought my 5 pound potatoes recipe with a cup of oil was a lot!! Definitely try putting less than half a cup....

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:35 am
mybusyima wrote:
Potato kugel with 2 pounds potatoes calls for a cup of oil????? I thought my 5 pound potatoes recipe with a cup of oil was a lot!! Definitely try putting less than half a cup....

The recipe I used said 1 cup I did half for a while and then I did the half of that sorry, I I'm not used in measuring with cups sorr y I already *@!@ did that. And I;m not used in pounds.....

Oh Iwish people will not be so judgemental... I had bulimia for 7 years just want to deal wiht food helathy and not being judgged. Or shall I otherwise throw up everyhting?

Last edited by Chickensoupprof on Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:36 am
mybusyima wrote:

For 2 lbs potatoes I use 1/4 cup of oil and it’s very good.

Frumme

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:46 am
Try subbing some of the white flour in your challah for whole wheat white flour, if you can find it where you live!

Maybe a broccoli or zucchini kugel instead of potato, or sub some potato out for cauliflower (I don't have a recipe, sorry, but I've seen it done).

I think you shouldn't overthink your Friday night meal. You can make healthy choices by eating what you like in moderation; it is shabbos after all.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:02 am
Maybe grilled cutlets instead of schnitzel?
Also count how many pieces of challa you eat and try to cut down.
If you make half of the flour whole wheat, or less, it's hard to tell the difference.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:07 am
Frumme wrote:
Try subbing some of the white flour in your challah for whole wheat white flour, if you can find it where you live!

Maybe a broccoli or zucchini kugel instead of potato, or sub some potato out for cauliflower (I don't have a recipe, sorry, but I've seen it done).

I think you shouldn't overthink your Friday night meal. You can make healthy choices by eating what you like in moderation; it is shabbos after all.
basically I'm eating the whole week lentils, fruit, whole wheat pasta/rice at least I try to hve more then 250 grams of veggies and 2 pieces of fruit everyday. I never drink coke, or apple juice.

mybusyima

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:13 am
I'd keep your menu the same, except no kneidlach and make the kugel in individual small portions and take just one. Also, only 1 thin slice of challah.
Good luck! I'm watching carbs too now, and know how hard it is!!!

Frumme

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:47 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
basically I'm eating the whole week lentils, fruit, whole wheat pasta/rice at least I try to hve more then 250 grams of veggies and 2 pieces of fruit everyday. I never drink coke, or apple juice.

Sounds good to me! I don't think you should worry about it but I do feel that you are having a preoccupation with menu planning and nutritional choices. I noticed you mentioned you struggled with bulimia at one point. Is there a food therapist or nutritionist who focuses on eating disorders that you could see?

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:49 am
I think you should keep the menu more or less the same just eat in moderation. Small amounts of foods with carbs and larger amounts of protein and vegetables. Cut back on oily food. Unless you are actively trying to loose a significant amount of weight I don’t think you should change the menu you and your husband have come to enjoy. Just eat a little less.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:01 am
I’m not judging you at all. You should eat whatever you want. Personally, I would have soup and challah a veggie and a main and skip the rest

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:50 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
This what I make so far

- white challes (because really I shabbos needs to have white challes and my challes are the best)
-smoked salmon
- chickensoup (boil chicken less salt, lots lots of veggies, and I will add some matzo ball but that is fat)
-kugel ( I add only half cup oil instead of the whole cup on 1kg (2 pound) potatoes
-Grilled aubergines (in the oven)
-salads (tomato cucumber, sweetpotatoe with mini corn radices etc)
sometimes schnitzel or a steak

I want to eat more healthy and low fat and low carbs with shabbos and I mostly only eat Friday nights and the rest is @ the sluchim. I think I'm now going to make healthy cupcakes for after dinner. Spelt flour, and honey basically.

Any more tips?

If you’re going to eat low carb, don’t go low fat or salt. Trust me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus