Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you celebrate thanksgiving
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:56 am
Reality wrote:
If you can even ask me if the Puritans believed in the trinity then that shows me you have zero knowledge regarding the protestant reformation.

I will repeat again. There is no issue with entering a Quaker meeting house. Why? Because there are no idols. They don't worship anyone except the One Above. Same as we do. The Puritans were the same. They are not the same like todays Protestant church.

Learn some history!!

And all I is that it is a minority opinion.

And to another earlier poster, I do not eat chalav stam. And I don't religiously observe Thanksgiving. But to call it avodah zarah? It's a minority opinion.

I am not talking about entering their houses of worship. I'm talking about celebrating their holidays.

I'm wondering why you consider R' Moishe a minority opinion? Minority according to whom?

(others definitely hold otherwise. But considering this is a US centric shaylah we're already in minority territory. The chassidim won't generally observe US holidays, so I guess you can (strangely enough) put their poskim on Rav Moishe's side)

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:58 am
singleagain wrote:
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is historically the worst travel day in America. This is because Thanksgiving is a day celebrated across religions in America.

Either historical reasons matter more than current connotations or they don't. No one would dream of dropping the n-word in casual conversation because now it means something pejorative. Yet why are we so anti something like Thanksgiving that now is extremely secular.

So now you're squarely in bechukoseihem territory.

(it's also not exclusively secular. There are still who celebrate it as a religious day.)

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:00 am
I have never heard that Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote that celebrating Thanksgiving is ossur and being oveid avodah zarah.

I'd like to see it in writing please.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:00 am
cbsp wrote:
So now you're squarely in bechukoseihem territory.

(it's also not exclusively secular. There are still who celebrate it as a religious day.)

I don't even know what langue that is. So I can't respond.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:03 am
What does “celebrating thanksgiving” include? Just a turkey, right?
I’m making turkey meatballs, so I guess.....?

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:03 am
singleagain wrote:

It's transliteration of one word of a phrase.

Translation of the full phrase: In their ways you shouldn't follow

MiriFr

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:04 am
singleagain wrote:

בחוקותיהם

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:05 am
MiriFr wrote:
בחוקותיהם

In Hebrew doesn't help because I do not read Hebrew very well and I don't understand the written Hebrew as well as the spoken.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:06 am
Reality wrote:
It's transliteration of one word of a phrase.

Translation of the full phrase: In their ways you shouldn't follow

Ah well thank you for that explanation.

In response to that there is wisdom among the nations and its foolish to not take the good not everything is all bad

MiriFr

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:07 am
singleagain wrote:
In Hebrew doesn't help because I do not read Hebrew very well and I don't understand the written Hebrew as well as the spoken.

Oh oh oh sorry! It’s a word in the Torah that means “in their ways” meaning the non-Jews. It’s saying that we shouldn’t go in their ways.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:08 am
MiriFr wrote:
Oh oh oh sorry! It’s a word in the Torah that means “in their ways” meaning the non-Jews. It’s saying that we shouldn’t go in their ways.

I see Well in that case there are a lot of things that we do that are quote in the ways of non-Jews unquote that I think Thanksgiving is one of the least problematic.

Apologize for the way of the formatting but I am voice to texting

MiriFr

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:10 am
singleagain wrote:
I see Well in that case there are a lot of things that we do that are quote in the ways of non-Jews unquote that I think Thanksgiving is one of the least problematic.

Lol figured. I think everyone should live and let live. If you mamish hold that turkey is assur to eat on the last Thursday of every November, then do not eat it. If you hold it’s a mitzvah, then go right ahead.
For the rest of us who fall somewhere else on that spectrum, I will eat my turkey meatballs and enjoy them, and I’ll even share the recipe with anyone who asks.
(Also, the library is closed today, so please hit me with good idea for my kids tia)

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:15 am
MiriFr wrote:
Lol figured. I think everyone should live and let live. If you mamish hold that turkey is assur to eat on the last Thursday of every November, then do not eat it. If you hold it’s a mitzvah, then go right ahead.
For the rest of us who fall somewhere else on that spectrum, I will eat my turkey meatballs and enjoy them, and I’ll even share the recipe with anyone who asks.
(Also, the library is closed today, so please hit me with good idea for my kids tia)

What if you find an interesting picture online and have your kids write their own stories about that interesting picture

MiriFr

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:17 am
singleagain wrote:
What if you find an interesting picture online and have your kids write their own stories about that interesting picture

Cuz they’re teeny, and one of them doesn’t even speak English yet
But maybe I’ll suggest that for my husband LOL

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:18 am
singleagain wrote:

Not so simple. Bechukoseihem is an actual issur and there are halachic parameters.

I posted a link above to Rabbi Viener's series on the subject so you can familiarize yourself with the concept...

cbsp

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:22 am
Reality wrote:
I have never heard that Rav Moshe Feinstein wrote that celebrating Thanksgiving is ossur and being oveid avodah zarah.

I'd like to see it in writing please.

You started off quoting a poster who quoted Rav Moshe saying eating turkey on Thanksgiving may be considered avoda zorah.

And then you said that's a minority opinion.

I'll see if I have time today to relisten to the shiur to get the Rav Moishe source.

Reality

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:34 am
https://outorah.org/p/21932/

This link answers my question that hasn't been answered yet by anyone else who claims that Rav Moshe ossured Thanksgiving.

Rav Moshe did not ossur Thanksgiving. Rav Henkin did. And the majority of Poskim hold that it is ok to celebrate. Rav Moshe did stipulate that a very pious person should not celebrate. That is very different then forbidding it. Especially since I seem to remember Rav Moshe using similar language regarding eating chalav stam.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:41 am
cbsp wrote:
Who said anything about church? Why is only church a problem?

If you as a religious Jew decides to celebrate a day founded as a religious day for another religion it's a problem.
It was not for another religion. It was for religious freedom. Jews have that in america as well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:44 am
I still dont understand how any normal rabbi could tell people that it is assur to eat turkey. I mean, what???? Thats just beyond strange. THAT has nothing to do with religion at all.

essie14

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:46 am
singleagain wrote:

Exactly. Non Jews do plenty of things that we also do. Eating turkey and cranberry sauce is hardly in the category of worshipping idols or putting a statue of J-sus on the crucifix in our shul.
(At least in my MO circles)
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics