Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Please Help me regain SMELL and TASTE
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:40 am
So im late to the game and just got covid last week. It has not been easy but nothing could prepare me for today. Day 7 and I lost my sense of taste and smell completely. I tried smelling essential oils - nothing just nothing. Grapefruit tasted like a water balloon nothing tastes nothing smells and I feel like I am losing my mind from it. I feel locked in a cage and need to break free. I'm scared of losing it cv! March! Nothing more precious than my baby's smell- I need to smell again fast! Please someone help me. I am in nj but will travel. Is there an acupuncturist or something I can do to get it back quickly? Please don't tell me its a waiting game. I know too many people just waiting since march! Please let me know what worked for you so orange juice can taste like orange juice again!
Thanks!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:10 am
I think the vast majority of people did get it back BH.. I did. At this point just give it a week or 2.. refuah shelaima!!!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:19 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I think the vast majority of people did get it back BH.. I did. At this point just give it a week or 2.. refuah shelaima!!!

I'm still waiting since the week after rosh hashana when I lost my smell and taste.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:24 am
Refuah sheleima!

There is a lot of research being done about this, but no known answers yet. Most people do get it back, but not all.

I hope your sense of humor will appreciate the wry comment made by a friend whose first "baby" is now 18:

"I used to love the smell of babies. Then, I became a parent, and found out that what I thought was the smell of a baby was actually the smell of the perfume that the shampoo company puts in their product. The way my baby actually smells when I can smell anything much from him is a lot less pleasant."

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:27 am
Do the olfactory training aka smell therapy. It works but if takes time. Be consistent about it and be"h you will be ok.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:56 am
Reflexology

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:23 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Reflexology

Thanks all! I need my smell and I need it today!!! I know I'm a 40 year old throwing an irrational tantrum but I am losing my mind over this and I think the fear of going through it for too long is driving it!
I am trying the olfactory training. The fact that I can't smell my beloved oils at all is making me crazier!
But I keep trying!

Any idea which reflexology points?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:48 pm
Olfactory training is all about being curious even while not having a sense of smell. It's about not losing the ability to smell. So that when your neurons regenerate, your sense of smell hasn't shut down. This has happened.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:53 pm
7 weeks without taste and smell. It's hell

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:53 pm
I've heard zinc helped others though.

essgee

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:56 pm
taking zinc helped my husband regain most of his taste....
when he was consistent with it for a few days he def saw a difference.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:03 pm
Thats so interesting because I read that zinc overdose can cause a loss of smell so in panic I stopped taking my vitamins yesterday.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thats so interesting because I read that zinc overdose can cause a loss of smell so in panic I stopped taking my vitamins yesterday.

I stopped the zinc too. The dosage that people were recommending was dangerous. If you take it, do not take more than 50mg.

bnm

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 10:01 pm
Mine came back. I work in a daycare. I congratulated that first kid.... it took about 3-4 weeks. I got smell back before I was able to taste chocolate. I was already tasting other foods fine.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 10:31 pm
Thanks! I hope it comes back soon! I'm going crazy - did you do anything special to help it come back?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:30 pm
When I lost my smell, my friend gave me a hot drink that was made with specific amounts of various spices. As I was drinking it, my smell came back. Same thing with my husband. It was incredible.
Unfortunately I don't know the recipe. Maybe you can ask around and see if someone else knows. There was a similar whatsapp video that went around, but the amounts were different. I hope this helps. Hatzlacha.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 11:58 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
When I lost my smell, my friend gave me a hot drink that was made with specific amounts of various spices. As I was drinking it, my smell came back. Same thing with my husband. It was incredible.
Unfortunately I don't know the recipe. Maybe you can ask around and see if someone else knows. There was a similar whatsapp video that went around, but the amounts were different. I hope this helps. Hatzlacha.

Wow!!!! Please!!!! Is there any way you can ask your friend for the recipe? Please!!! I'm desperate!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:00 am
imasinger wrote:
Refuah sheleima!

There is a lot of research being done about this, but no known answers yet. Most people do get it back, but not all.

I hope your sense of humor will appreciate the wry comment made by a friend whose first "baby" is now 18:

"I used to love the smell of babies. Then, I became a parent, and found out that what I thought was the smell of a baby was actually the smell of the perfume that the shampoo company puts in their product. The way my baby actually smells when I can smell anything much from him is a lot less pleasant."

LOL! Yes it is a funny thought! I do love what companies put into shampoo and detergent but, at the risk of sounding bizarre, there is nothing as sweet as the smell of a nursing newborns breath! But of course I am just missing the overall smell of here! I also must keep my family smelling functional lol!!! If I can't smell im in trouble...

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:01 am
If your nasal cavity is swollen then anti-inflammatories may help, like steroids, maybe even that drink.
But if the olfactory sensory neurons were damaged by covid, you need to wait for them to regenerate.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:03 am
I don't want to be discouraging, but I had COVID in March, lost my taste and smell completely. for over a month I could not taste the diff btw. orange juice and coffee. It has been about 8 months since and have not gotten my smell back completely- everything smells like a weird combination of spoiled eggs and burnt onions. My DH also lost his taste and smell in March and still hasn't gotten it back completely either. It's devastating.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics