Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Doctor for Foot Pain / Possibly Orthotics

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:44 pm
What sort of doctor does one go to for child orthotics?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:48 pm
Podiatrist? Or Orthopedic surgeon?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:50 pm
Either an Orthopedist, which is a doctor, and they will prescribe orthotics if needed.
Or you might just need an Orthotist- someone who does the orthotics.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:51 pm
So an orthopedist can let us know if orthotics are needed, and that's the first step, right?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:55 pm
Yes

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So an orthopedist can let us know if orthotics are needed, and that's the first step, right?

A PT can also help you.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:03 pm
My son's pt suggested that we see a podiatrist. He himself custom made orthotics for my son.

meme6

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:32 pm
A podiatrist

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:45 pm
I needed orthotics as a kid, and over the years saw both podiatrists (foot doctors) and orthopedists (bone doctors).
If you don't know what the issue is, and especially if you don't know yet if orthotics are needed, I would start with a podiatrist. If it turns out it's a bone structure issue, maybe you'd try an orthopedist.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My son's pt suggested that we see a podiatrist. He himself custom made orthotics for my son.

A PT can order orthotics for you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 9:03 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
A PT can order orthotics for you.

A pT can’t they are custom and you need molds of the foot I have 5 kids in arches.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:43 pm
schooling for orthopedist and podiatrist is the same 11 years. Big difference is Orthopedist does whole body doesn't specialize in any one area. A Podiatrist specializes in feet. everything about the foot including bones. So if its a foot related issue your much better off going to a podiatrist.
Before completing residency a orthopedist has to only complet approx 10 surgeries of the foot where a podiatrist has to do 300.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
schooling for orthopedist and podiatrist is the same 11 years. Big difference is Orthopedist does whole body doesn't specialize in any one area. A Podiatrist specializes in feet. everything about the foot including bones. So if its a foot related issue your much better off going to a podiatrist.
Before completing residency a orthopedist has to only complet approx 10 surgeries of the foot where a podiatrist has to do 300.

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. An orthopedist is a real MD surgeon that specializes in diseases of bones. An orthopedic MD is considered an elite specialty in the "doctor world " and mostly top of the class with honor level grades and 99% percentile board scores get into orthopedics. 4 years med school, 5 years of surgical residency. As opposed to podiatry which is considered a second choice field for people who really wanted to become doctors (MD) but did not have the grades.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 3:18 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Surgeries like nail cutting, right? LOL That's what the podiatrist billed our insurance company. Surgery. Because he had to cut a nail for the exam.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:05 pm
We get exams and orthotics from the podiatrist

Miri1

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:20 pm
If a child has foot pain I would first see an orthopedist to rule out a small fracture.
If you already did an x ray, be aware that a stress fracture won't show up right away on an x ray.

eta: unless this is pain in both feet, in which case I would probably see an orthotist.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:17 pm
U are referring to an old podiatrist. Podiatry is very different today then it used to be. Residency used to not be required. Today u have to complete 4 years college then 4 years medical school followed by 3 years residency. Every podiatrist today is surgically trained (I don't mean ingrown toe nails) They have to do 300 surgeries including amputations, bunion and hammer toe surgery. They also do fractures.

Here are the requirements for both Orthopedist and Podiatrist.

Here are the Podiatry requirments (300 surgeries)

https://www.mainlinehealth.org.....ments

https://www.cpme.org/files/CPM.....5.pdf

here are the Orthopedic requirements (only 100 foot surgeries) (page 7 bullet 54.3)

https://www.aoao.org/wp-conten.....s.pdf
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics