Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do poor people afford camp??
Previous  1  2  3

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:28 pm
When my oldest wanted to go to camp, DH took extra tutoring jobs and we specifically put that money away for camp. The camp she went to gave us a bit of a discount, and they also allowed us to pay it down in installments. We paid for camp, and DD paid for any extras (like canteen, etc...) She went for 1/2 summer, and worked the other half.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:34 pm
Some Jewish Federations give generous scholarships for camp.

When I was a kid, I once went for a month of overnight camp for $500. My own kids have gone for close to free.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:03 am
In my neighborhood, Queens, there are plenty of kids that don’t go to camp. When they are little, the parents make a backyard camp. When they get older, they work in day camps or make their own backyard camps.

Then the family takes a trip for a few days at the end of the summer to somewhere inexpensive (camping, or similar).

Higher up the economic scale you can find families that send for half a summer to sleep away camp after 7th grade or so. The other half the child works and earns money (maybe the money goes toward the sleep away camp, I don’t know).

Most of the moms in my neighborhood work for the Dept of Ed anyway so they are off in the summer and it’s not a childcare issue.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:22 am
The question was how to ppl eligible for lunch programs send to camp?
Many camps give deep discounts for ppl in Klei Kidosh
There are many ppl helped by parents or inlaws. (For example I have a sil who babysits few hours a day, husband is learning. They have 8 children and send to camp. Her in laws help her tremendously. They would be eligible for lunch program) I know ppl said they don’t know any but I have 3 sister in laws happily heavily helped by parents with many children. Like they pay tuition, food. Their own income is minimal
Mother helpers, waitress, etc...
Kid is paying or subsidizing

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
The question was how to ppl eligible for lunch programs send to camp?
Many camps give deep discounts for ppl in Klei Kidosh
There are many ppl helped by parents or inlaws. (For example I have a sil who babysits few hours a day, husband is learning. They have 8 children and send to camp. Her in laws help her tremendously. They would be eligible for lunch program) I know ppl said they don’t know any but I have 3 sister in laws happily heavily helped by parents with many children. Like they pay tuition, food. Their own income is minimal
Mother helpers, waitress, etc...
Kid is paying or subsidizing

People that are eligible for lunch program actually can earn a decent amount it’s almost like wic. But yet lots can’t afford camp so the camps give working options or payment plans.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
People that are eligible for lunch program actually can earn a decent amount it’s almost like wic. But yet lots can’t afford camp so the camps give working options or payment plans.

You are correct.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics