Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Me'am Lo'ez in English- do you recommend it if you have it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:51 pm
Is Me'am Lo'ez in English good?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:51 pm
I totally recommend it! It's fascinating on every level! I only have a few volumes and I love reading them every single time!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:58 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I totally recommend it! It's fascinating on every level! I only have a few volumes and I love reading them every single time!
Besides for the books on Bereishis, Shemos etc, do you have and like the other books? I don't know if I should buy a set because it's expensive but it's on sale now, or if I should just buy a few of the parsha?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:59 pm
I have the Haggadah, Megillas Esther and some others. I don't have the entire set though I wish I did! Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:01 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I have the Haggadah, Megillas Esther and some others. I don't have the entire set though I wish I did! Smile
How many books are just on the parsha- all 5 chumashim?

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:05 pm
We're working on acquiring every single one, as we read them. The best ones are those which were edited by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, but those produced after he passed away are also good. Well worth the study. They provide an informed and enriched understanding of Tanach in a digestible manner.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:07 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Same!

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:44 pm
Yes! I bought the whole set while I was single, it's an amazing set. My now 14 year old has been working his way through them for the last 2 years or so and getting quite an education, but they are excellent

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:52 pm
I love the sefarim, I read them, and other books by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, all throughout high school.

honeymoon

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:52 pm
I love them! I devoured the parsha series and megillas esther as a teen and would love to reread it. Which other parts of tanach do they have?

Cheshire cat

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:06 pm
I starting collecting, sefer by sefer, when I was 17, and now own the entire set.

I gained so much from it. I'm glad to have it on my bookshelves. Hopefully, someday, my kids will enjoy it as much as I do.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:28 pm
Rappel wrote:
We're working on acquiring every single one, as we read them. The best ones are those which were edited by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, but those produced after he passed away are also good. Well worth the study. They provide an informed and enriched understanding of Tanach in a digestible manner.

I’m with this! I read most of them as a teenager week by week according to the parsha and was so happy I got the set as a gift when I got married!

DallasIma

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:35 pm
I started buying volumes of this set in the 1970s and I still read them and love all of them!

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:58 pm
I own the set. fascinating midrashim and halochos.

be aware that every parsha can be 100 or more pages.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:39 pm
How many books are just the 5 set of chumashim?

avrahamama

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 7:41 pm
I think 20 books?

https://www.eichlers.com/torah......html

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:35 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I think 20 books?

https://www.eichlers.com/torah......html
is eichlers price good? Is it the cheapest place to get these in Brooklyn?

avrahamama

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
is eichlers price good? Is it the cheapest place to get these in Brooklyn?

I really don't know. I guess call a few places and see?

If I had the money and the space I'd get it. I have enjoyed every single one I read.

I remember reading the one on yetziat mitzrayim late one night to my 5 yr old. And he went the next day and peppered his rebbe's lesson with all these midrashim. BH his rebbe had nachat instead of being annoyed.

imorethanamother

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:20 pm
Very wonderful. Just keep in mind that when he does his "topic section", like he'll devote some time away from the Parsha to discuss Niddah or some other topic, not to treat it like halacha. He's very strict.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:14 pm
thanks everyone
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics