Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Back in Quarantine 😞
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:15 pm
We're back in quarantine. My five year old came home from school with a mild cold. My husband took him to get tested, and it came back positive.

I'm feeling absolutely panic stricken. I can't have my boys home for another 2 weeks. I just can't. I'm so angry at my poor husband. He just wants to do the right thing. But I know that most of y kids in our school are not testing, not quarantining. So how does it help to keep my kids home? Covids running wild in the school anyway. My keeping my boys home is not making anyone safer.

I want to get into bed and not get out for 2 weeks. Wake me up when this is over.

crust

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:18 pm
Hugs DVOM.
No words of wisdom from me. I would feel the same.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:20 pm
First of all, major hugs because this is HARD.

Second, I understand your thinking, but ignoring his symptoms and sending him to school would be wrong for you to do even if other people are doing it. Take everyone else out of the picture- do you want on YOUR cheshbon someone else chvs getting terribly sick or worse? Knowing you, you don't want to be source of someone else's tzara. So regardless of what other people are doing, you are doing the right thing. Sending him to school and ignoring what's happening could be the reason someone else suffers terribly. And because you're being responsible, that isn't happening.

DVOM

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
First of all, major hugs because this is HARD.

Second, I understand your thinking, but ignoring his symptoms and sending him to school would be wrong for you to do even if other people are doing it. Take everyone else out of the picture- do you want on YOUR cheshbon someone else chvs getting terribly sick or worse? Knowing you, you don't want to be source of someone else's tzara. So regardless of what other people are doing, you are doing the right thing. Sending him to school and ignoring what's happening could be the reason someone else suffers terribly. And because you're being responsible, that isn't happening.

I know you're right. I know my husband is right. I'm still so angry! I yelled and sulked like a toddler today. I feel so not myself. I feel terrible for dreading the next few weeks with my kids, but the honest truth is that I am. They've only been back to school for a month. We were in quarantine for 24 days right after Succos. I just want to be alone.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:46 pm
DVOM wrote:
We're back in quarantine. My five year old came home from school with a mild cold. My husband took him to get tested, and it came back positive.

I'm feeling absolutely panic stricken. I can't have my boys home for another 2 weeks. I just can't. I'm so angry at my poor husband. He just wants to do the right thing. But I know that most of y kids in our school are not testing, not quarantining. So how does it help to keep my kids home? Covids running wild in the school anyway. My keeping my boys home is not making anyone safer.

I want to get into bed and not get out for 2 weeks. Wake me up when this is over.

I'm so sorry that you have to quarantine again but you are doing the right thing and keeping others safe from this deadly virus. The people who are not testing even when they suspect Corona know they are harming others and will have a lot to explain at 120. In merit of your wonderful middos may you all have great health and happiness ad 120.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:47 pm
DVOM wrote:
I know you're right. I know my husband is right. I'm still so angry! I yelled and sulked like a toddler today. I feel so not myself. I feel terrible for dreading the next few weeks with my kids, but the honest truth is that I am. They've only been back to school for a month. We were in quarantine for 24 days right after Succos. I just want to be alone.

That is absolutely understandable! I'll have you in mind when I light candles today.. Hashem should give you strength.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:48 pm
I would test him again on Sunday or monday. I’ve heard of many false positives. Also, you have my sympathies. I can imagine how utterly frustrated you must be feeling.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:55 pm
Was it a rapid or PCR? Many rapids are unreliable, so if you haven't yet done a PCR, definitely go Motzei Shabbos to get one.

Also, I saw that the CDC may be reducing the quarantine from 14 to 7-10 when combined with a negative test at that point (non-negotiable), so perhaps talk to your Dr. and school to see if perhaps your older ones can go back sooner if they're asymptomatic and test negative.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:13 pm
We're almost finished our 24 day quarantine. It's not fun. Dh was upset that I got tested. Nobody caught it from me, and I wasn't sick, so I really could have gone about my daily life without anyone knowing the difference. (I got tested because I was exposed at work.)
Will your kids have remote learning? If they do, that takes up a good part of the day. Since it's almost Chanukah, you could challenge them to take turns finding Chanukah videos on YouTube. Kids are resilient; they'll survive. Hopefully you and your dh will too. The first week is the hardest. After they get used to the new routine, it gets much easier. We found lots of quarantine songs online to explain to my autistic ds why he can't go out. YouTube is your friend. Use it and abuse it.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:35 pm
You have all the right to:
Tantrum
Yell
Eat 7 doughnuts a day
Punch someone or something (try that glass breaking place)
Go to sleep for 2 weeks.
Don’t do a thing in the house. Order food. Don’t clean.
Sorry no better advice but I feel ya! Hope it passes fast!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:37 pm
Hug
Wishing you strength and health!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:54 pm
I just tested positive this week the day of my son's bris. I have 3 kids under 4, one who is the newborn. My husband tested positive 2 days later.

I think I caught it in the hospital. Try doing it postpartum with a newborn. It's much less fun!

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 6:55 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I just tested positive this week the day of my son's bris. I have 3 kids under 4, one who is the newborn. My husband tested positive 2 days later.

I think I caught it in the hospital. Try doing it postpartum with a newborn. It's much less fun!

Omg! Refuah sheleima to you all!!!

DVOM

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Was it a rapid or PCR? Many rapids are unreliable, so if you haven't yet done a PCR, definitely go Motzei Shabbos to get one.

Also, I saw that the CDC may be reducing the quarantine from 14 to 7-10 when combined with a negative test at that point (non-negotiable), so perhaps talk to your Dr. and school to see if perhaps your older ones can go back sooner if they're asymptomatic and test negative.

That's just it. Our school couldn't care less (welcome to Lakewood!). When we quarantined last time they kind of made fun of us (your keeping them out for HOW long? Seriously? That sounds crazy....oooookkkkaaaayyy mr. and mrs. DVOM, but you know, no one would know if you sent them back earlier...). They're not doing any sort of mandatory testing, distancing, masks, nothing. We're being looked at like naive lemmings, zombie followers. Don't you know coronavirus is over in Lakewood? There is no distance learning option. Truth is, I hated distance learning anyway.

DVOM

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

This is horrific. I'm so sorry 😞. What can I do to help?

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:30 pm
Pls don’t throw tomatoes but I think I’m lkwd schools u can send kids who have antibodies. Do any of ur other kids have antibodies?

DVOM

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Pls don’t throw tomatoes but I think I’m lkwd schools u can send kids who have antibodies. Do any of ur other kids have antibodies?

Yes, one of our boys have antibodies and can go to school. Mr.s 12, 9 and 5 are home, as are my husband and me.

DVOM

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:42 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
You have all the right to:
Tantrum
Yell
Eat 7 doughnuts a day
Punch someone or something (try that glass breaking place)
Go to sleep for 2 weeks.
Don’t do a thing in the house. Order food. Don’t clean.
Sorry no better advice but I feel ya! Hope it passes fast!

In my dreams I order dinner every night, let the kids watch a movie every day, order new lego sets from Amazon every other day.... then reality intrudes. My husband just graduated from school and started his first job. He's going to be out now for a month. Financially, eggs and noodles are more responsible and realistic than take out, as are projects made from the old egg crates and noodle boxes rather than Lego. Daily screen time is a slippery slope that I'd rather not start down. We have lots of ADHD genes in the family. From a child development standpoint, I feel like it's feeding my boys poison.

I need to come up with shortcuts to make things easier, but not things I'll really regret later.

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:44 pm
DVOM wrote:
In my dreams I order dinner every night, let the kids watch a movie every day, order new lego sets from Amazon every other day.... then reality intrudes. My husband just graduated from school and started his first job. He's going to be out now for a month. Financially, eggs and noodles are more responsible and realistic than take out, as are projects made from the old egg crates and noodle boxes rather than Lego. Daily screen time is a slippery slope that I'd rather not start down. We have lots of ADHD genes in the family. From a child development standpoint, I feel like it's feeding my boys poison.

I need to come up with shortcuts to make things easier, but not things I'll really regret later.

I know I wasn’t being quite realistic. As if I did any of that when we were home March-June...
Lots of luck. Refuah sheleima!

crossroad

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:45 pm
Oish! Sounds so stressful! No advice...just hugs!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics