Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Corona in young people can be bad
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Actually, we have engaged in many an argument. It is hard for you, so you are willing to take the risk. You don't want to be a social leper, so you advocate others joining your in irresponsible behavior.
The problem with your saying, as you said above, that you think if you get it it will be mild and if not you will deal so you are OK with it, is that YOU SPREAD IT TO OTHERS, who may be at risk and not have it mild. Not all of us are as lucky as you.

I don’t go near anyone who doesn’t want me next to them. And I don’t advocate for anything except for people behaving normally.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:03 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t go near anyone who doesn’t want me next to them. And I don’t advocate for anything except for people behaving normally.

I think there can be issues when one thinks they own the license to define "behaving normally" re COVID (and a lot of things).

That may be where the conflict arises.

I don't think anyone of us can think we own the right to define that for others or the klal.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:39 pm
gold21 wrote:
The flu shot is quite new. And it has a high failure rate. Who remembers life before flu vaccination? Me.

The flu vaccine was created in the 40s. IIRC from a recent thread, you're 34

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:44 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Don’t be ridiculous. I never discourage anyone from taking common sense precautions. I say:
Wear a mask
Social distance
Don’t go to large events
Stay home if your sick

After that, mind your own business and stop spreading hysteria.

But they’re not wearing masks that’s a problem because of the lax attitude. Borough park again went to zero mask wearing and then they’re going to get angry when the media comes and pointed out and then everyone will be encouraged to put on the “mask wearing show” again and then the cycle goes on and on and on..... Everyone forgot that 2 young parents died In the past two weeks. One in Clifton, and one in bp. They really didn’t need to die. Especially the one in BP, who had already overcome serious disease. In a normal community she would’ve been encouraged to work from home but in a community where the virus is made fun of, where open “gelechter” is made of people who are trying to protect themselves bad outcomes happen. You mean to tell me that if tomorrow I walked into shul with a mask and a face shield I wouldn’t get looked at by everybody with 50 eyes and smirking behind my back. I actually go to work this way In a predominantly African-American / Spanish community I don’t even get a second look.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 1:37 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The flu vaccine was created in the 40s. IIRC from a recent thread, you're 34

Since we're spilling each other's info, you're 55.

And you know what I meant re: the flu vaccine vs the mandated flu vaccine. Or you don't. But most people here do.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 1:39 pm
gold21 wrote:
Since we're spilling each other's info, you're 55.

And you know what I meant re: the flu vaccine vs the mandated flu vaccine. Or you don't. But most people here do.

I actually didn't know what you meant, so thanks for explaining.

As for being 55, I am indeed.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:13 pm
If the type of masks available to the public stopped the virus then the virus would not be spreading.

Across the whole world.

Stop pointing fingers at ourselves and blaming ourselves.

Across the whole world.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:17 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I actually didn't know what you meant, so thanks for explaining.

As for being 55, I am indeed.

OK. And I'm not confirming or denying being 34. Depending on where my birthday falls out, you could be 1 year off in one direction or the other. Think about it. Wink

Have a good Shabbos.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:50 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
If the type of masks available to the public stopped the virus then the virus would not be spreading.

Across the whole world.

Across the whole world.

Here's how I feel about this: Masks help stop the spread. Are they perfect? No. Nothing is. We use imperfect birth control because we want it to work, so we use it and educate ourselves about it and hope we can rely on it. Same with masks. What's the difference?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
But they’re not wearing masks that’s a problem because of the lax attitude. Borough park again went to zero mask wearing and then they’re going to get angry when the media comes and pointed out and then everyone will be encouraged to put on the “mask wearing show” again and then the cycle goes on and on and on..... Everyone forgot that 2 young parents died In the past two weeks. One in Clifton, and one in bp. They really didn’t need to die. Especially the one in BP, who had already overcome serious disease. In a normal community she would’ve been encouraged to work from home but in a community where the virus is made fun of, where open “gelechter” is made of people who are trying to protect themselves bad outcomes happen. You mean to tell me that if tomorrow I walked into shul with a mask and a face shield I wouldn’t get looked at by everybody with 50 eyes and smirking behind my back. I actually go to work this way In a predominantly African-American / Spanish community I don’t even get a second look.

I walk around with a mask and nobody bats an eyelash in all of BP. And I'm never the only one with a mask.
Only my neighbor comments when she sees me.

cnc

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:23 pm
Okay- I’ll address everyone at once here! Gold, I’m pretty sure that you’re in my age range and I don’t remember a time before the flu vaccine. We all got it religiously every year .

To respond to those saying that people die from the flu so it’s the same thing as Covid..... I know maybe three people that died from the flu and an additional three that went into a coma from it but recovered thank Gd. This is over the span of a decade ++.
I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the people that I know personally that died from Covid in the last 7 months. Forget about the people that I “know of “. I’m specifically referring to people that I interacted personally such as neighbors or relatives .

I also remember getting the flu very often as a child (which makes me pretty wary of the vaccine as it never did anything for me ...). I was in bed for ten days straight vomiting and weak, barely able to pick my head up from the pillow. But once it ran its course, it was over . 2 weeks after the first symptom o was completely back to regular.

I know people that have still not recuperated properly from “mild cases” in March. I did have it a few weeks ago and I’m still not back to myself. I am unable to put in my full work hours etc... for me personally, the intensity of the actual illness wasn't as bad as when I’ve been sick with the flu, but the after effects are a killer (although I shouldn’t be complaining since many have it had it way way worse).

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Across the whole world.

Across the whole world.

Maybe if people actually wore the masks all the time they would be more effective.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:41 pm
cnc wrote:
Okay- I’ll address everyone at once here! Gold, I’m pretty sure that you’re in my age range and I don’t remember a time before the flu vaccine. We all got it religiously every year .

To respond to those saying that people die from the flu so it’s the same thing as Covid..... I know maybe three people that died from the flu and an additional three that went into a coma from it but recovered thank Gd. This is over the span of a decade ++.
I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the people that I know personally that died from Covid in the last 7 months. Forget about the people that I “know of “. I’m specifically referring to people that I interacted personally such as neighbors or relatives .

I also remember getting the flu very often as a child (which makes me pretty wary of the vaccine as it never did anything for me ...). I was in bed for ten days straight vomiting and weak, barely able to pick my head up from the pillow. But once it ran its course, it was over . 2 weeks after the first symptom o was completely back to regular.

I know people that have still not recuperated properly from “mild cases” in March. I did have it a few weeks ago and I’m still not back to myself. I am unable to put in my full work hours etc... for me personally, the intensity of the actual illness wasn't as bad as when I’ve been sick with the flu, but the after effects are a killer (although I shouldn’t be complaining since many have it had it way way worse).

I've never received the flu vaccine, except once when it was administered in hospital the day after I had a baby. So, idk. Maybe it was an option that your parents elected to give their children. Perhaps someone else can chime in. It definitely was NOT mandated when we were children.

I remember when the flu mandate was first implemented. I was an adult.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:47 pm
cnc wrote:

I would love it if somebody can make a poll here I don’t know how to do it basically how many people do you personally know in the past 10 years that have died of the regular flu my answer is zero. Then the next question should be how many people do you know that have died of Covid I could think of 5 ppl of the bar whom I’ve interacted with in the past on a weekly basis.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:49 pm
NPR article circa 2009:

Most U.S. health care workers don't get flu shots. This has always been the case, despite 28 years of jawboning by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But that's going to change this fall in New York state. A new regulation there aims to stop health care workers from passing the flu to patients. By the end of this month, all hospital and clinic workers are supposed to get vaccinated against seasonal flu. By Nov. 30, they are required to get the swine flu vaccine.

Nurse Jemma-Marie Hanson is like most U.S. health care workers when it comes to flu shots.

"I've never gotten vaccinated against the flu," she says. "I was always extremely healthy — never got the flu. And I went through 20-plus flu seasons of taking care of patients without getting it."

Experts say the No. 1 reason health care workers give for not getting a flu shot is, "I don't need it."

But this year, if Hanson refuses to get a flu shot, she'll have to wear a mask for the duration of flu season. Or she might lose her job.

New York is the only state so far to require all workers in hospitals and clinics to get immunized against the flu — both seasonal flu and the new H1N1 virus that's causing most flu cases this fall.

Dr. Gus Birkhead, New York's deputy health commissioner, says the state has never gotten even 40 percent of its health care workers immunized against flu --- despite what he calls "year-in, year-out" campaigns to persuade them to get flu shots. So two years ago, officials began thinking about a different approach.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 3:52 pm
I know NYC has a flu mandate in place for preschoolers so I googled it. Here it is:

Beginning in January 2016 the NYC Department of Health will be enforcing the mandate for all students under 5 years old attending daycare or pre-school (including NYC DOE UPK) to receive the flu vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 5:27 am
18 days from start of symptoms, I still am getting high fevers above 104. I have pneumonia. Been in the hospital 3 times over the last 2 weeks.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 5:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
18 days from start of symptoms, I still am getting high fevers above 104. I have pneumonia. Been in the hospital 3 times over the last 2 weeks.

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:02 am
Bumping this up in case anyone can help.
I have been sick for a month now and my husband has also been sick for part of that time but has been off of work to watch the kids. It’s been a crazy financial month with a lot of added expenses from medicines that insurance won’t cover to paying doctors to do house visits to being off of work to all the extra money of things to keep my kids occupied .

[link removed by mod. OP, please get Yael's okay to post a request for donations. Ladies, for everyone's safety, please donate only to requests on this site that have Yael's verification. Thanks!]
[UPDATE: the op has pm'ed me with a copy of Yael's permission for her to post the link: https://thechesedfund.com/prem.....iness - thanks!]

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 14 2020, 9:18 am
Last flu season, pre-covid, the CDC estimated that the United States flu season had caused at least 39 million flu illnesses, 400,000 hospitalizations and 24,000 deaths.

There have been 16.4 million cases of covid, with more than 299,000 deaths. 1,357 people died YESTERDAY. For those who ridiculously blame Cuomo, only 11% of US covid deaths have been in New York even though it was hit early, before many treatments were available. 1 in every 800 people in North Dakota has died of covid. 1 in every 1000 African Americans.

Anyone who claims that covid is like the flu, or that it isn't so bad is a fool.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics