Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Birthday party

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:06 pm
I want to make a birthday party for my going to be 7 year old and I cant afford to spend to much. id like to do something along the lines of arts and crafts. any ideas??? nothing to messy please 8)

micki

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:10 pm
boy or girl?
if girl,
start with shrinky dinks, punch holes in so when its done it becomes a charm. buy beads and elastic, and every girl can make bracelts or necklaces with the shrinky dinks as charms.

then play a game- we made up clues and each clue led to another object.
no winner

then we had supper -pizza-and then cake and then opened presents.

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 2:37 pm
Micki, I love your ideas! I once planned and ran a 7 yr. old bday party...

A&Cs: Decorate picture frames-take group picture to put in.
Necklaces and bracelots
make pins or clips
Games
poster for eveyone to sign and decrate
and ditto on the food from mickis post!

elisecohen

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:08 pm
It may not be to everyone's tastes, but my 10 yr old just had a party and we checked out a bunch of library books on braiding hair, bought some cheap scrunchies and barrettes for them all to use, and did that, had some handcream and olive oil/kosher salt mix for them to "manicure" and had them make their own "chapstick" from beeswax, cocoa butter and essential oils. It was very cheap for a theme party, and this way they have lip stuff that I know doesn't have gross treif stuff in it. Also, for the cake, we made at home and covered in regular frosting and then in a layer of white rolled fondant. Then the girls used the food coloring markers you can buy to write greetings on the fondant. They loved it and it was a fraction of the cost of a store bought cake.

mommy2

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:13 pm
elise your ideas are so original!!

miriam

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 3:14 pm
Great ideas, elise!!!!

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 6:43 pm
have each kid bring in a plain white t-shirt and decorate t-shirts for the party.

RedVines

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:52 pm
Heres another one: Buy plain child size aprons (at craft stores) Write their names on it. They can decorate. Basically, the theme is a baking party...cupcakes cookies, etc.

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 12:29 pm
Rivka wrote:
have each kid bring in a plain white t-shirt and decorate t-shirts for the party.

along that line get a whole bunch of crayons and grate them. then let them decorate their shirts with them when they are finished take wax paper put over the shirt and iron down the colors melt and when finished ironing they have a nice picture that they created.

Post Mon, Aug 15 2005, 2:14 pm
supermom wrote:

along that line get a whole bunch of crayons and grate them. then let them decorate their shirts with them when they are finished take wax paper put over the shirt and iron down the colors melt and when finished ironing they have a nice picture that they created.

that's cool! but what happens when you wash the shirt? oh, I should know, cuz I have a nice wax stain on my shabbos tablecloth from our havdallah candle- so I guess it doesn't come off in the wash!!

mother of 2 princess's

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 7:25 am
hey guys
thanks so much for all the ideas
any more would still be usuful
first of all I dont know what shrinky drinks???
and how do you make the lipstick and you said hand cream from oilve oil and salt??? I would be worried about doing creams encase of allergies. and with the braiding what did they do just braid eachothers hair.

I was thinking of knecklaces with cherrios and liqurice. also making a car out of celery toothpicks and carrot slices as the wheels. maybe decorate biscuits, perhaps let them help decorate birthday cake. any arts and crafts ideas though???
manda Rolling Eyes

elisecohen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 8:14 am
Shrinky dinks are a flexible plastic you get at a craft store or toy store--you color on the plastic sheets with permanent marker or colored pencil, then put it in the oven for 3 minutes and it shrinks down to hard small plastic that is very durable.

The hair braiding, the library books had all sorts of cute little styles and the girls all did each others' hair and shmoozed and had a great time.

The hand stuff you can buy as "Sally Hanson's Manicure in a Minute" at the drug store, or make your own from about a cup of kosher salt, a little olive oil or cocoa butter, and if you want a little dried nice-smelling herbs like lavender, rose geranium, or lemon verbena.

The lip stuff was just beeswax, cocoa butter, and a couple of drops of essential oil, but dd has to find the book with the exact proportions--I'll post when she unearths the book from the depths of her bedroom (wink, wink).

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 1:29 pm
Maybe you could do something like this on a more mature level:
http://www.activityplayhouse.c.....tion=

This website has some cute ideas for general activities, too (mostly for kids 0-3 years old).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children