Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone ever tried this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:36 pm
So, I'm not that old, just past 40, but for the last 5 years or so I find that I see better close up without my glasses. I am far-sighted and have been wearing glasses since I'm 10. But I'm not ready for bi-focals
So I take off my glasses when I read or look at my phone, etc.
And I lose them. All. The. Time.
It's practically a daily thing that I need to ask my kids to help me look for them.
I tried wearing a necklace that attaches to the earpiece of the glasses but it is cumbersome and gets in the way of my snood.
I'm looking into a bluetooth tracking device that gets stuck onto the handle of the glasses and can be tracked through a phone.
Anyone ever tried such a thing? It's on sale now for black Friday...hoping it will be my answer

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 12:40 pm
Sounds great! Let us know if it works!

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 1:17 pm
I have the exact same problem! I think I need to start buying if many pairs of cheap glasses to have around for when I can't find them.

Miri1

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 2:57 pm
Would this be less cumbersome?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....cbb4a

Copied from the Amazon questions:

What is the advantage of these over an ordinary pair of reading glasses hanging around one's neck with a cord?
Answer:Because the glasses open in the front, the strap can be shorter and therefore they swing around less than a longer cord does when you bend over. Instead of hanging on your chest they are more up by the neck. The headband also keeps them snugly in place when wearing them, and does not droop down your back like a longer cord does. The disadvantage, particularly for some women it seems, is that the headband can affect your hair style when you have the glasses on. So I do know women who prefer the long cord alternative because it doesn't interfere with their coiffed hair as much.

Also, I know someone who buys them in bulk at Costco.
She has a pair in every corner.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 4:56 pm
Next time you get glasses, get fake bifocals, iow the top portion is rx, and the bottom portion is plain glass. That way you need not take off your glasses to read. Problem solved and kosher for Shabbat and YT.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:00 pm
Quote:
Next time you get glasses, get fake bifocals, iow the top portion is rx, and the bottom portion is plain glass. That way you need not take off your glasses to read.

Zaq, you are clearly not sensory. Some of us just LOVE to take off our glasses.

My solution is pretty lo-tech & simple. I keep an eyeglass case next to the couch where I daven. One on my dresser.

I do sometimes take them off in the kitchen to check scallions and then forget where they are. Or in the sewing room. But I try to put them in a consistent place. Like my keys, either in the outside pocket of my purse or hanging on a hook near the front door.

As we get older it becomes more and more important to find ways to keep track of things.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:47 pm
My dear... I have news for you.
There is a solution. It’s called progressive lenses. Look into it and you won’t need to take on and off your glasses when you read.
This is very common for people in their 40’s.

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 6:41 pm
Quote:
I think I need to start buying if many pairs of cheap glasses to have around for when I can't find them.
That's good for people who NEED reading glasses. Those you can get cheap in the drugstore (though note they won't necessarily fit the distance between your pupils!)

But if your problem is that you DON'T NEED reading glasses, and you keep taking off and losing your distance glasses, you're probably not finding those cheap.

I have progressives, but I still take off my glasses for anything more than reading for a few seconds. In other words, when I want to relax, I take them off!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:53 pm
OP here
Penguin you got me. It's a sensory thing as well as feeling that I dont see well with my distance glasses. When I'm relaxing I just want to take them off...
Thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions. I do not need reading glasses BH. And I dont know what progressive lenses are but I will look into them.
I thought I was the only one with this problem but I see there are others like me!

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here
Penguin you got me. It's a sensory thing as well as feeling that I dont see well with my distance glasses. When I'm relaxing I just want to take them off...
Thanks to the rest of you for your suggestions. I do not need reading glasses BH. And I dont know what progressive lenses are but I will look into them.
I thought I was the only one with this problem but I see there are others like me!

Progressives are bifocals without the line. The top part is for distance, the bottom for reading. If you don't need reading glasses, you don't need progressives.

And I'm like penguin. I have progressives, but prefer to read without them and hold the book close to me instead.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 9:56 pm
I have progressives because regular distance glasses are too strong at the computer.

I tried getting glasses just for the computer, but any time I wanted to look at the room (or my co-workers) I got dizzy.

Progressives work very nicely for me, although they had to make them a couple of times to get them right, because at first I had to tilt my head back when at the computer (in other words, the computer part was too low at first - it's supposed to be somewhere in the middle). So I strongly suggest making the glasses at the same place you get the prescription, in case you need an adjustment.

And I don't need glasses for reading, although officially the bottom of my glasses works okay if I need to read something close.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics