Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What does "Flatbushy" mean?
Previous  1  2  3

Tzippy323

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:59 am
To the poster regarding YOB who posted anonymously, I guess you don’t want anyone to know you have internet.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:24 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Ugh..

reading this thread is making me feel desperate to move to an OOT open minded place where people don’t categorize,label, or classify their community members based on such silly reasons like clothes and money.

What values do kids in such communities get????????
They get to know who’s “nebby”? Who’s “with it”? 🙄

What about real true values???
Ugh ugh ugh...

No. Stay and be a trend setter to value what's in the insides.

Mollie

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:28 am
Flatbusy is a term used by frum people who live out of Flatbush to put down Flatbush people.

That is all.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:29 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
I live just into Marine Park. I don’t quite know what you would call my area, but as with all neighborhoods there is a mix. It isn’t right to call Bensonhurst “nebby” simply because some families, maybe even a majority, fit that description. All neighborhoods are a cholent. Just on my block alone, there are children from Prospect, BYA, Masores, Shulamis, Lev Bais Yaakov, and BYBP. There are boys from Torah Emes, Tiferes Yisroel, Torah Vodaath, Torah Temima, and Ohr Shraga. What does that make my block?

Every neighborhood has all kinds. Yes, some types may dominate, but that shouldn’t give a name to the whole community. I’m certain that some schools might pride themselves on being called “nebby” while others would be horrified. All schools are trying to provide an education. Tznius isn’t a defining factor because if we are following Halacha, then we all should be dressing appropriately. If you wear a black hat on Shabbos, or a kippah serugah, that shouldn’t define you. We are all Yidden, and hopefully, following in the footsteps of the Avos. Those who learn a pasuk of Chumash in a blue skirt or a plaid skirt, or a polo shirt or a button down blouse, should not be considered more or less of a Yid. And using “nebby” to describe the parent body, is just plain wrong.

Is it possible that we stop using these labels, and just remember that we are all Yidden working together to bring Moshiach as soon as possible?

I'm guessing people want to know if they're getting into an area where everyone is keeping up with the Joneses, because if that's not your style, it's a very real issue to deal with. Standards can be very high in certain neighborhoods or schools.

Tzippy323

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:50 am
If a determination regarding whether or not you place your child in a given school is whether you keep up with the Jones’, then I suggest you not consider that school and move to a more Jewish neighborhood as Jones is definitely not a Jewish name!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:55 am
I have no idea what Flatbushy means I moved here 47 years ago to the very heart of it and love living here my standards are my own and living within my means I resent all the judgment of people from other neighborhoods. Flatbush is full of lovely people from all walks of life and full of a plethora of shuls of every stripe and full of tzedekah collectors who come here from everywhere so I would think we are generous people as well!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:06 pm
I knew there was a reason I disliked Brooklyn and this thread illustrates it perfectly.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:07 pm
What's a YOB? In British slang, it's "a rude, noisy, and aggressive young person."

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:12 pm
YOB stands for Yeshiva of Brooklyn - a very right-wing school in Flatbush

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:13 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
What's a YOB? In British slang, it's "a rude, noisy, and aggressive young person."

Yeshiva of Brooklyn - very Yeshivish school in Flatbush

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 1:20 pm
Just want to weigh in and say - I live in Lakewood and visited a shul in flatbush, in an area that one may call "flatbushy".
Well, I was super surprised!! It actually had such a warm, oot feel. Although the ppl. may have been less yeshivish than my neighborhood, the pressure was so much less than in Lakewood.

Moral of the story: you can judge a place your whole life, but until you get to know it better you really have no idea what it's all about.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:21 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
To the poster regarding YOB who posted anonymously, I guess you don’t want anyone to know you have internet.

FTR I don't send to YOB. I never went to YOB and don't even live in Brooklyn anymore.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I knew there was a reason I disliked Brooklyn and this thread illustrates it perfectly.

Come on - it's not just Brooklyn.

bumpkin2

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:04 pm
giselle wrote:
Basically the opposite of bumpkin Wink

I'm from California. So hopefully my roots still shine through.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:18 pm
Mollie wrote:
Flatbusy is a term used by frum people who live out of Flatbush to put down Flatbush people.

That is all.

This 1000000%

I live in Flatbush and I'm actually laughing at this thread. Most of what is written here is completely false. (Which would probably put this thread in the category of motzi shem rah).

NO ONE in my circle of friends/neighbors/ family members/workmates etc uses the term "Flatbushy" or "nebby" (or anything else) at all to describe other people. At this point, Flatbush is actually quite diverse and open-minded (although I understand that may not have been the case in past). On one block, you can have children from all different schools and they all get along. Also, as the population shrinks, most schools are not so picky anymore with whom they accept, so classes in most schools are smaller and more diverse.

Furthermore, everyone I know in Flatbush is simple and laid black. Everyone dresses however they want. I have no clue what's in style, I buy whatever's cheap. I never get dressed up to go out. I don't own anything brand name. I actually get hand me downs from an OOT family member. And I am not an exception or doing something unusual; this is very common here.

But as I have learned from Imamother, OOT'ers who consider themselves soooooo "non judgemental and open minded and accepting" are allowed to bash Brooklyn all they want. When they don't even know what they are talking about because they don't even live here.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:19 pm
I went to YOB. I am not even close to being yeshivish at this point in my life. I know many other graduates of YOB who also would never send their kids there because they are on a totally different path in life. I’ve come to realize that very very frum schools often backfire with many of its students. The inability to ever question anything to checking for thigh highs to allowing only a very narrow definition of being frum, ends up pushing many people away.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Just want to weigh in and say - I live in Lakewood and visited a shul in flatbush, in an area that one may call "flatbushy".
Well, I was super surprised!! It actually had such a warm, oot feel. Although the ppl. may have been less yeshivish than my neighborhood, the pressure was so much less than in Lakewood.

Moral of the story: you can judge a place your whole life, but until you get to know it better you really have no idea what it's all about.

Well
That’s not so surprising
Everyone knows Lakewood is the new Flatbush
🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
This 1000000%

I live in Flatbush and I'm actually laughing at this thread. Most of what is written here is completely false. (Which would probably put this thread in the category of motzi shem rah).

NO ONE in my circle of friends/neighbors/ family members/workmates etc uses the term "Flatbushy" or "nebby" (or anything else) at all to describe other people. At this point, Flatbush is actually quite diverse and open-minded (although I understand that may not have been the case in past). On one block, you can have children from all different schools and they all get along. Also, as the population shrinks, most schools are not so picky anymore with whom they accept, so classes in most schools are smaller and more diverse.

Furthermore, everyone I know in Flatbush is simple and laid black. Everyone dresses however they want. I have no clue what's in style, I buy whatever's cheap. I never get dressed up to go out. I don't own anything brand name. I actually get hand me downs from an OOT family member. And I am not an exception or doing something unusual; this is very common here.

But as I have learned from Imamother, OOT'ers who consider themselves soooooo "non judgemental and open minded and accepting" are allowed to bash Brooklyn all they want. When they don't even know what they are talking about because they don't even live here.

I wonder if Flatbush changed. When ppl say "Flatbushy" it's an adjective that doesn't necessarily reflect the ppl currently living there. I used to work in Flatbush approx 10 years ago and never felt the need to be trendy or dress up. Wondering if 30 years ago things were different? I worked in a Flatbush day camp deep deep in Flatbush approx 20 years ago and it was definitely "flatbushy"

gold21

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:19 pm
Mollie wrote:

That is all.

"Flatbushy" is a term that was around when I grew up in Flatbush, at a time when Flatbush was indeed "Flatbushy". Things may have changed since then. It's been a while.

There are many "Flatbushy" people who don't live in Flatbush. People who fit this description live all over the place.

"Flatbushy" is a descriptor that sounds like it would be location based when in reality it is not location based at all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics