Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How does one apply for Israeli citizenship?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 10:03 pm
My mother just mentioned that my aunt and uncle applied for Israeli citizenship, but they are not making Aliya. How does one do this? What are the requirements?

essie14

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 11:08 pm
Aliyah means Israeli citizenship. maybe they mean that they are not living there permanently but it's the same thing.
You can apply for aliyah, which grants you citizenship, but if you leave right away or spend too much time outside the country they may revoke your passport.

If it are from the US or Canada you apply via www.nbn.org.il. if you are from another country you contact the Israeli embassy in your country and they will guide you.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:26 am
essie14 wrote:
Aliyah means Israeli citizenship. maybe they mean that they are not living there permanently but it's the same thing.

If you were born to Israeli parents but were born and are living outside of Israel, you may be eligible for Israel citizenship even if you live outside of Israel.

Contact your nearest Israeli embassy or consulate for more info.

https://lawoffice.org.il/en/bi.....ship/

blessedflower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 1:51 am
A person can make aliyah and not make an Israeli pasport, but stay with the pasport that they have. You have to request it when you arrive in the airport. I don't know the name for it. My sister did it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 2:14 am
blessedflower wrote:
A person can make aliyah and not make an Israeli pasport, but stay with the pasport that they have. You have to request it when you arrive in the airport. I don't know the name for it. My sister did it.

You don't need an Israeli passport to make aliyah, but you'll need one to leave/re-enter the country once you are an Israeli citizen.

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 3:02 am
blessedflower wrote:

Once you make aliyah you must travel in and out of Israel on an Israeli passport.
There is a temporary passport called a teudat maavar which you apply for if you have been living in Israel less than a year, which acts as a passport, until you reach the amount of time required to have a proper passport. But you cannot leave Israel, nor re-enter, on a foreign passport once you are a citizen.

blessedflower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:18 am
essie14 wrote:
Once you make aliyah you must travel in and out of Israel on an Israeli passport.
There is a temporary passport called a teudat maavar which you apply for if you have been living in Israel less than a year, which acts as a passport, until you reach the amount of time required to have a proper passport. But you cannot leave Israel, nor re-enter, on a foreign passport once you are a citizen.
so actually you don't need an Israeli pasport. We are 4 sisters that made aliya. 3 of us became Israeli citizens and have an Israeli pasport. One sister got an Israeli ID but she isn't an israeli citizen. She made aliya as got all the benefits from an oleh chadash but requested at the airport to become a toshav (I think) and not an oleh.
I wanted to do the same but didn't know it had to be requested on arrival so I couldn't change it anymore, only through court and I didn't feel it was worth it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:25 am
blessedflower wrote:
so actually you don't need an Israeli pasport. We are 4 sisters that made aliya. 3 of us became Israeli citizens and have an Israeli pasport. One sister got an Israeli ID but she isn't an israeli citizen. She made aliya as got all the benefits from an oleh chadash but requested at the airport to become a toshav (I think) and not an oleh.
I wanted to do the same but didn't know it had to be requested on arrival so I couldn't change it anymore, only through court and I didn't feel it was worth it.

Maybe your sister is not a citizen, but some sort of permanent resident? Can she vote in Israeli elections?

Not sure why she would receive oleh benefits if she is not a citizen...

Maybe she was a returning Israeli resident? They get some limited benefits, but not the full package given to encourage people to make aliyah.
https://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahp.....ents/

blessedflower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 7:58 am
DrMom wrote:
Maybe your sister is not a citizen, but some sort of permanent resident? Can she vote in Israeli elections?

Not sure why she would receive oleh benefits if she is not a citizen...

Maybe she was a returning Israeli resident? They get some limited benefits, but not the full package given to encourage people to make aliyah.
https://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahp.....ents/
she For sure isn't a returning citizen. I don't know if she can vote. I need to ask her. I think she can't. She got all normal benefits from aliyah.
She did that because she didn't want to give up her European passport, but couldn't keep both. My grandparents did the same when they made aliyah

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:00 am
blessedflower wrote:
she For sure isn't a returning citizen. I don't know if she can vote. I need to ask her. I think she can't. She got all normal benefits from aliyah.
She did that because she didn't want to give up her European passport, but couldn't keep both. My grandparents did the same when they made aliyah

I know someone from Holland who became a permanent resident rather than a citizen because if she becomes an Israeli citizen, she'll lose the right to her Dutch pension. She can't vote but has all other rights.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:07 am
I found this. Can someone explain to me what it means please?

https://www.gov.il/en/service/.....eturn

blessedflower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:13 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I know someone from Holland who became a permanent resident rather than a citizen because if she becomes an Israeli citizen, she'll lose the right to her Dutch pension. She can't vote but has all other rights.
so maybe you know my grandmother Wink
Though the problem is not with the pension but with loosing Dutch citizenship. I think the pension you can get anyway unless she lives in the red line

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Seems pretty straightforward, what do you have a question about?

blessedflower

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

this is for people like my sister that I explained above. It's for people that have an Israeli ID. But don't have Israeli citizenship. It's very easy to change I think.
Are you asking for youself? Where do you live?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:03 am
essie14 wrote:
Seems pretty straightforward, what do you have a question about?

(I have a hard time processing written instructions, unless they are explained to me)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:05 am
blessedflower wrote:
this is for people like my sister that I explained above. It's for people that have an Israeli ID. But don't have Israeli citizenship. It's very easy to change I think.
Are you asking for youself? Where do you live?

I’m curious if it’s something I can do for myself, get Israeli citizenship.
Out of curiosity.....if my grandfather was born in Israel before the establishment of the state, would my parent still be able to claim the right of return?

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m curious if it’s something I can do for myself, get Israeli citizenship.
Out of curiosity.....if my grandfather was born in Israel before the establishment of the state, would my parent still be able to claim the right of return?

If he's Jewish...

And if you're Jewish, then the right of return applies no matter what.

OP, your questions seem very strange. I don't know anyone eligible who hasn't heard of the law of the right of return.

Rappel

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(I have a hard time processing written instructions, unless they are explained to me)

Even if the explanations are also written instructions?

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:24 pm
OP, why do you want to be an Israeli citizen and not live in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:31 pm
Rappel wrote:
Even if the explanations are also written instructions?

No, I need someone to explain what is written there, and then I will understand. (I know, it seems odd, but that’s what works for me.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics